What Prevents Libre Sensors From Being Pulled Off?

Gork

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been having a difficult time getting these things to stay in place. All the ads from Libre show these deliriously happy women showing off their sensors and there is no indication of added cover to help them stay in place.

I have used Nexcare Tegaderm waterproof dressing and it worked for a day or so. I had to cut a circle of paper to prevent the disc from sticking to the patch. I then used "Breathable Gentle Wrap". It is a wrap-around bandage type that adheres to itself with a light pressure rather that using any adhesive and it seems to be working. Some people mentioned a "cover" that can be applied but don't explain it.

On Amazon, there is a "Simpatch, a precut adhesive patch" that looks promising as it seems to be designed for the Libre Sensor and cost about 50c each. There is no indication to say whether or not it sticks to the sensor or just to the skin around it.

The question is, how much more do I have to spend to find something that actually works?
The people at Libre don't seem to want to help.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been having a difficult time getting these things to stay in place. All the ads from Libre show these deliriously happy women showing off their sensors and there is no indication of added cover to help them stay in place.

I think they just stick to some people better than others.
I know for myself they stick like superglue - getting them off my arm after 2 weeks can be a bit of a challenge. I realise this doesn't really help you but it does mean that them showing people happily wearing sensors with no extra cover is not impossible.

Gork

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you seen the video supplied by Libre showing how to remove the sensor?
( :

The first sensor I used, took some work to remove. The ones that followed, not so much. I do clean the area well and use alcohol and let it dry before applying. I even shaved the hair off, what little there was.

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I have used Nexcare Tegaderm waterproof dressing and it worked for a day or so. I had to cut a circle of paper to prevent the disc from sticking to the patch. I then used "Breathable Gentle Wrap". It is a wrap-around bandage type that adheres to itself with a light pressure rather that using any adhesive and it seems to be working. Some people mentioned a "cover" that can be applied but don't explain it.

On Amazon, there is a "Simpatch, a precut adhesive patch" that looks promising as it seems to be designed for the Libre Sensor and cost about 50c each. There is no indication to say whether or not it sticks to the sensor or just to the skin around it.

The question is, how much more do I have to spend to find something that actually works?
The people at Libre don't seem to want to help.

Hi,
my only difficulty has been in taking it off ... only once has it come off without me realizing .. and that was at a crazy party with some crazy hugs .. otherwise I have to take it off in the shower even then it’s not that easy. But it does leave my skin pretty irritated and inflamed.
But I studiously avoid bra straps and door handles I’ve heard they will take them off in a second ...

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I generally havnt had problems with sensors coming unstuck - until now!
I found the one I put on 3 days ago coming unstuck around one edge and suspect the adhesive was faulty and / or cant cope with this current heat / humidity. I tried applying opsite tape and tegaderm but neither of those solved the problem.
Spoke to Abbot who sent me a blurb about adhesion - it mentionedan ‘ over bandage’ so I tried an elastic bandage that was knocking about and that seems to be doing the trick - god knows how Ill manage a shower mind you - think strip washes may be called for

Last edited:
Reactions: figster

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use Skin Tac wipes which hold the sensors on fine - if I’m going to a gig or something boisterous I’ll tie a bandana around my arm to protect it. In the hot weather, just to be safe, I’ll slap some rock tape over it on the second week if it looks like it might be peeling off.

Reactions: figster