What really spikes you?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough, it seems.

I grandly gave up all desserty things along with all other carbs eight months ago. But I sometimes have a tiny, I mean tiny, taste of the others', and yesterday I had two teaspoons of their Ben and Jerry Cookie Dough. And - this was with a normal meal's NovoRapid - I went straight to 9.4. Humm. That's the last time, I think. As I don't want to go down that road.

Anyone else had any dramatic revelations?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2, no meds

My worst one was last summer. I had a tuna-mayo and red onion sandwich in an upmarket café, two slices of thin granary bread, and a tiny side of salad leaves. I shot up to double figures, and it is still the highest reading I have ever had. The mayo was apparently made in-house, and I guess it was full of added sugar.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Its probably because you have avoided carbs for a long time that you had the big bg spike Lucy, a tiny amount of ice-cream would hardly touch my bg levels.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Anything purchased from a supermarket bread section and croissants has got me, they spike me big time, two of them with your coffee and you may as well have eaten a mars bar. What i would really like to know aswell is why is everything on the supermarket shelves so packed with sugars is it really so necessary for so many foods to contain so much hidden sugar and carb in things you really wouldn't expect? Is it any wonder more and more people are becoming T2 and T1 diabetic, the human body just cant handle so much processed sugar yet the foods that are promoted by the big supermarkets are all still high in them and they complain the nation is getting fatter yet they keep us all addicted to the sugar.

Last edited by a moderator:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bread - even a tiny mouthful :-(

I guess the full sugar ice cream would do it as well - I've never tried, but as a 6g carb jelly baby raises my BG by about 2.5mmol, it doesn't take a genius to guess it would! Pretty sure this nothing to do with being low-carb and everything to do with being LADA ;-)

Smidge

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
gramme for gramme wheat products and grains have about 3x the impact of starchy root veg.
Small portions of potato are quite doable.
Tiny fragments of bread -> ridiculous spikes.

And oddly, I seem to be able to tolerate sugar better than any of them.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
White bread and most breakfast cereals

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
cireals and mash potato,,,last time i tried them my sugars were over 25 so no more

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
this is a funny old question...............on the one hand i have become so used to the old regime of 1 or 2 injections per day of mixed insulin that when MDI came along ( 1997)I did tend to eat more savoury foods but still avoided sweets as "poison"

so now if i want to eat any **** thing i want ( which is not very often ) i just bolus for it and f**k the consequences ( which thankfully due to my excellent carb counting are minimal ) :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
white bread and potatoes

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
this is a funny old question...............on the one hand i have become so used to the old regime of 1 or 2 injections per day of mixed insulin that when MDI came along ( 1997)I did tend to eat more savoury foods but still avoided sweets as "poison"

so now if i want to eat any **** thing i want ( which is not very often ) i just bolus for it and f**k the consequences ( which thankfully due to my excellent carb counting are minimal ) :D

Sugar is the spike, if i could give that "poison" as you rightly describe up i'd have cracked it, the holy nail of all disease but unfortunately it is in everything, the big corpos want to feed us with it and the pharmos want to keep us hooked on it because it feeds their corrupt money hungry false economy. More tea vicar,?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Anything that has more than 3gm of carbs in does me.

So I don't!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@LucySW as @noblehead said, I think it's the low carb thing that did that to you Lucy. I get greater impact from carbs now than previously, but under a normal carb diet, two teaspoons of ice cream really had very little impact in the past.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar is the spike, if i could give that "poison" as you rightly describe up i'd have cracked it, the holy nail of all disease but unfortunately it is in everything, the big corpos want to feed us with it and the pharmos want to keep us hooked on it because it feeds their corrupt money hungry false economy. More tea vicar,?
30 years ago when we used to visit my sister-in-law in Norway she always called sugar "white death" and kept a bit on a cupboard top shelf for me to put in my tea & coffee. I think I should tell her she can chuck it away now.
That's about it, really. It's the sugar, stoopid, as I keep reminding myself.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had a little drink over Christmas, Baileys and also a small amount of chocys, Roses or Quality Street after main meal of lunch or dinner and the readings were unbelievably high, even with Insulin :eek: so frustrating :mad:

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Porrage for me is guaranteed double figures :(

Curious about this one, i like porridge oats and they are a low GI and are harder to break down in the digestive system so they should be a slow release carb, is it not possibly that you are having them mixed with sugar or high milk sugars or they are the refined oats like oats so simple they will spike you more but plain porridge oats shouldn't spike the blood in theory.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
30 years ago when we used to visit my sister-in-law in Norway she always called sugar "white death"
30 years ago they had this knowledge in Norway???? are we really that backward in the uk that we are only just catching on? Shame on us Brits.