What should I do... Glycated Hb (HbA1c) 68 mol/mol

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this post. I don't know what to do. I have had breast cancer and have spent the last 12 months in turmoil dealing with this. Praying now all will be good. I went for my check up with the surgeon and whilst there I asked if I could have a blood test, I explained that my doctors don't seem to want to know and I've not seen them since I was diagnosed with BC. So, I had a blood test and the surgeon phoned and emailed me the results. He explained that I have high readings and need to book to see my doctor. Well, I feel like I have just been hit with a sledge hammer - I can't cope with more bad news, my main results causing my concern are:-

Glycated Hb (HbA1c) 68 mol/mol ; Range (20-42)
Glucose (Non fasting) 10.1 mol/L
ALT 39 IU/L ; Range (< 34)
Gamma GT 59 IU/L ; Range (5-36)
Cholesterol 5.5 mmol/l ; Range (< 5.0)
Triglycerides 1.89 mol/L ; Range (<1.70)
LDL (Calculation) 3.2 mol/L ; Range )<3.0)

I have been trawling the internet and scaring myself silly, so have now diagnosed myself with so many thinks, I have worked out the Gamma GT and ALT relates to my liver and its under stress(praying it's not serious). I have noticed on other threads that other people here have had raised Gamma GT and ALT levels, which as given me some hope that it could all be related to Diabetes.

I have blood results from 12 months back and all levels where in normal ranges. I will admit I am overweight and have been trying to loose weight over the past couple of months, (I've lost 10lbs - not major weight loss, but, less than I was when my last bloods where checked, so I would think readings would be better). Following my operation for BC I was put on medication called Letrozole (Femara) which takes oestrogen out of the body, I was wondering if this could effect the blood - however, lots of women on this, so can't see it.

I have over the last few months been taking a protein shake, could this be a cause. Saying this, I have not taken it for the last couple of days and my readings (I have purchased a meter and done finger prick tests) and my readings have still been up.
Today before I had some food reading was 9.4 and after some bacon and egg it was 7.7 (the bacon and egg was from reading up on other posts - my normal every day diet is/was junk food, I want to change my eating - trying to the low carb, high fat.

Knowing what you all know, my questions are;
Do I need to go to the doctor straight away?
Could I try for a week to two to change my diet to get my numbers down - then go? (plus sticking with the change of diet & exercise, I will admit my job is working from home, sitting down all day (thats not my job, I mean I sit down to do work - accounting).
Would the protein shake be okay to continue for the goodness it is 'suppose' to have in it (IsAGenix) on the packet it says
Per shake:
Carbohydrates 24g
of which sugars 10g

I can't face the doctors at the moment and I am truly willing to loss weight and kick the carbs.

I feel alone and confused with this, I can't share with my parents as they would worry like anything.
Any thoughts or advice would greatly be received, sorry I have rambled on "Thank You"

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this post. I don't know what to do. I have had breast cancer and have spent the last 12 months in turmoil dealing with this. Praying now all will be good. I went for my check up with the surgeon and whilst there I asked if I could have a blood test, I explained that my doctors don't seem to want to know and I've not seen them since I was diagnosed with BC. So, I had a blood test and the surgeon phoned and emailed me the results. He explained that I have high readings and need to book to see my doctor. Well, I feel like I have just been hit with a sledge hammer - I can't cope with more bad news, my main results causing my concern are:-

Glycated Hb (HbA1c) 68 mol/mol ; Range (20-42)
Glucose (Non fasting) 10.1 mol/L
ALT 39 IU/L ; Range (< 34)
Gamma GT 59 IU/L ; Range (5-36)
Cholesterol 5.5 mmol/l ; Range (< 5.0)
Triglycerides 1.89 mol/L ; Range (<1.70)
LDL (Calculation) 3.2 mol/L ; Range )<3.0)

I have been trawling the internet and scaring myself silly, so have now diagnosed myself with so many thinks, I have worked out the Gamma GT and ALT relates to my liver and its under stress(praying it's not serious). I have noticed on other threads that other people here have had raised Gamma GT and ALT levels, which as given me some hope that it could all be related to Diabetes.

I have blood results from 12 months back and all levels where in normal ranges. I will admit I am overweight and have been trying to loose weight over the past couple of months, (I've lost 10lbs - not major weight loss, but, less than I was when my last bloods where checked, so I would think readings would be better). Following my operation for BC I was put on medication called Letrozole (Femara) which takes oestrogen out of the body, I was wondering if this could effect the blood - however, lots of women on this, so can't see it.

I have over the last few months been taking a protein shake, could this be a cause. Saying this, I have not taken it for the last couple of days and my readings (I have purchased a meter and done finger prick tests) and my readings have still been up.
Today before I had some food reading was 9.4 and after some bacon and egg it was 7.7 (the bacon and egg was from reading up on other posts - my normal every day diet is/was junk food, I want to change my eating - trying to the low carb, high fat.

Knowing what you all know, my questions are;
Do I need to go to the doctor straight away?
Could I try for a week to two to change my diet to get my numbers down - then go? (plus sticking with the change of diet & exercise, I will admit my job is working from home, sitting down all day (thats not my job, I mean I sit down to do work - accounting).
Would the protein shake be okay to continue for the goodness it is 'suppose' to have in it (IsAGenix) on the packet it says
Per shake:
Carbohydrates 24g
of which sugars 10g

I can't face the doctors at the moment and I am truly willing to loss weight and kick the carbs.

I feel alone and confused with this, I can't share with my parents as they would worry like anything.
Any thoughts or advice would greatly be received, sorry I have rambled on "Thank You"
First off, the liver readings are most likely related to the T2. You may not have been officially diagnosed yet, but for now, for argument's sake, I'm going to assume the HbA1c is correct and your gp will eventually confirm it. T2 often comes in a "metabolic syndrome" package; non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, high cholesterol and high bloodpressure. Practically all of those things can get better on a low carb/high fat diet. So if you tackle one thing that way, the rest may well fall in line. That's the idea. From what I understand, taking it a step farther into keto-territory (eating so few carbs, usually 20 or less grams a day, that you go into ketosis; when the body starts burning fat for fuel rather than carbs, becoming what is called "fat-adapted") can also, according to some studies, slow down certain kinds of cancer. Don't ask me which, but thought that would be interesting to you. As it turns out, cancerous cells often feed on glucose. Good to know, maybe?
I was just telling my husband how I wished my other issues were as relatively easily treated as my T2. It's quite doable, though I realise you already have so much more on your plate. Check dietdoctor.com for recipies, ask questions whenever you want, and DO go see your doctor at your earliest convenience. I know it's not a nice talk to have, but you need to get on top of this, and getting support, here and medically, online and real life, will make this journey easier and less lonely. You could tackle a lot through diet, but you want a team behind you, medical checks, maybe some medication (for now?) to kickstart your way to normal bloodsugarlevels. As for the shakes... I'd stop those. Maybe find others with less carbs? (Don't know which ones they used in the Newcastle Diet, but might be worth a google?) But really, real, actual food that hasn't been processed to death will be better for your bloodsugars. (And will get you all the vitamins and minerals you need as well). Eggs and bacon were a really good call. Meat, fish, poultry, above-ground veggies, leafy greens, extra dark chocolate, olives, nuts, cheese, butter, full fat greek yoghurt and double cream... Eat real food, get real results.

You can do this. Honest!!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
High and welcome @Confused Charlotte

My first reaction is to say that I am glad you have found this forum, and to say DON’T PANIC
Nearly everyone has arrived here in a state of confused distress, so we all know what you are going through with regard to your results.

I will tag in @Bluetit1802 who has had her own very traumatic breast cancer experience, and developed type 2 diabetes afterwards. She is now a regular and very supportive member here, with excellently controlled blood glucose.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Charlotte and welcome! You've been having a really tough time with your BC and it's no wonder you are worried.
I'm no medic but from what I've gleaned on this and other places treatment for C can influence blood glucose levels. Now having said that, your HbA1c and non fasting levels are high, but are something you can deal with. Your protein shake may well be "full of goodness" but it's also very full of carbohydrate (sugars) too. So personally I'd skip that for a start! I'm guessing that your first reading of 9.4 was pre-breakfast and was quite possibly a 'dawn effect' elevation due a a liver dump and for many of us an elevated first thing in the day reading isn't unusual. The fact that after your bacon and egg your BG had fallen to 7.7 just goes to show that your choice for breakfast was a good one! If you can continue to avoid high carb foods and ditch the ready meals, you should find your BG starts to fall. It does though take a bit of determination and is not a lot of fun at the start.
Given your high readings I 'd suggest that you don't delay a talk with your Doc for too long as he/she might prescribe medication that would help reduce your BG and associated future complications.
You've had a lot to contend with, but getting control of your BG is to a large degree not too difficult and is something you, youself can manage to achieve.
Best of luck and hang on in there!

Dave

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for this, it would be wonderful to speak with someone that has gone through this - again, I couldn't be open about this, my parents are in their 80's and they would not of coped.

I would sincerely appreciate chatting with Bluetit1802 - Thank You again.

Reactions: Guzzler
Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Charlotte and welcome! You've been having a really tough time with your BC and it's no wonder you are worried.
I'm no medic but from what I've gleaned on this and other places treatment for C can influence blood glucose levels. Now having said that, your HbA1c and non fasting levels are high, but are something you can deal with. Your protein shake may well be "full of goodness" but it's also very full of carbohydrate (sugars) too. So personally I'd skip that for a start! I'm guessing that your first reading of 9.4 was pre-breakfast and was quite possibly a 'dawn effect' elevation due a a liver dump and for many of us an elevated first thing in the day reading isn't unusual. The fact that after your bacon and egg your BG had fallen to 7.7 just goes to show that your choice for breakfast was a good one! If you can continue to avoid high carb foods and ditch the ready meals, you should find your BG starts to fall. It does though take a bit of determination and is not a lot of fun at the start.
Given your high readings I 'd suggest that you don't delay a talk with your Doc for too long as he/she might prescribe medication that would help reduce your BG and associated future complications.
You've had a lot to contend with, but getting control of your BG is to a large degree not too difficult and is something you, youself can manage to achieve.
Best of luck and hang on in there!

Dave

Hello Dave,
Thank you so much for your kind reply with so much information. I sincerely appreciate this. You know BC is one thing, its the mental side that seems to be the cruelest.
Is the 'liver dump' the liver dumping the BS into the body, trying to get ride of it - or has it been dumped into the liver?
Owwww this is a mine field.

Could I ask you a few questions, 'could' the Gamma Gt and ALT be raised due to my becoming/being diabetic?
and
Would it be wrong to try and get BG and weight down and then see the doctor?
Would my levels be emergency mediation high/dangerous?
I'm thinking if I could get them down (and stay down) that when I see doctor then I wouldn't be classed as diabetic, (i remember a relative always saying they were 'borderline' diabetic and would always say 'you don't want to get on medication, once your on it you can't come off it'.
Hence me trying for the 'if' I can do a change of food and exercise (at present I hardly walk anywhere, I work from home so I'm sitting all day), loose weight, could this be okay. Monitor readings whilst doing this, then go to the doctors in a few weeks.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply,

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Dave,
Thank you so much for your kind reply with so much information. I sincerely appreciate this. You know BC is one thing, its the mental side that seems to be the cruelest.
Is the 'liver dump' the liver dumping the BS into the body, trying to get ride of it - or has it been dumped into the liver?
Owwww this is a mine field.

Could I ask you a few questions, 'could' the Gamma Gt and ALT be raised due to my becoming/being diabetic?
and
Would it be wrong to try and get BG and weight down and then see the doctor?
Would my levels be emergency mediation high/dangerous?
I'm thinking if I could get them down (and stay down) that when I see doctor then I wouldn't be classed as diabetic, (i remember a relative always saying they were 'borderline' diabetic and would always say 'you don't want to get on medication, once your on it you can't come off it'.
Hence me trying for the 'if' I can do a change of food and exercise (at present I hardly walk anywhere, I work from home so I'm sitting all day), loose weight, could this be okay. Monitor readings whilst doing this, then go to the doctors in a few weeks.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply,
Hi Charlotte! Sorry but I can't comment about Gamma Gt and ALT - I don't have a clue!!
As far as getting your weight and BG down before seeing yout doctor goes, I don't think it matters, as going by your BG results it does look like you have symptoms of diabetes and although there's no great rush it would be better to get it under control sooner rather than later - and it's probably easier than you are probably thinking. It doesn't hurt!!
As far as 'liver dump' goes - it's also known as the 'dawn phenomenon' and happens to everyone, diabetic or not but does elevate blood glucose levels. I've appended a link to an explanation as it would take me too much time to to explain in my own words!
If you do start medication there is a reasonable chance of coming off it with appropriate diet and some exercise as diabetes is a 'condition' that is self- managebale to a very large degree. A good book to help with this is Reverse Your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/dawn-phenomenon-or-somogyi-effect#

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have blood results from 12 months back and all levels where in normal ranges.

That's good news, your present levels will have been affected by everything you have experienced in the last year. Be kind to yourself.

I will admit I am overweight and have been trying to loose weight over the past couple of months, (I've lost 10lbs - not major weight loss, but, less than I was when my last bloods where checked, so I would think readings would be better).

The media has done an excellent job of informing us all that obesity is the major cause of diabetes and that we all eat far too much. Try thinking of it slightly differently. The more carb you eat, the more insulin you produce. Over time more insulin leads to insulin resistance and therefore even more insulin has to be made. Insulin is the fat storing hormone and it doesn't matter that you eat less than your Basic Metabolic Rate, the Insulin will help you store fat. I might have oversimplified but basically what I'm suggesting is that obesity is a symptom not the cause. If you look at some of the work done at Newcastle University, although the test subjects all lose substantial amounts of weight which is obviously no bad thing, they also change their eating habits substantially and by that I mean they reduce their carb intake.

From what I understand, taking it a step farther into keto-territory (eating so few carbs, usually 20 or less grams a day, that you go into ketosis;

I wouldn't take that as a hard and fast rule. I usually eat less than 50gms of carb a day and my body is in a state of ketosis.

I want to change my eating - trying to the low carb, high fat.

A lot of people on this forum have done very well decreasing carb AND increasing fat. Personally I can't eat too much fat and I'm not going to worry too much as we're all different. I can give you my experience with lowering carbs. I actually cut out bread, potato, rice and pasta in an effort to lose weight (partial success). Within two weeks I found that I was having hypos so I stopped taking two diabetic drugs, Gliclazide and Januvia. My last HbA1c was 46 although I now have to be careful with protein as well. My total cholesterol is 4. I only take Metformin and I even question it's value.

All the best

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this, it would be wonderful to speak with someone that has gone through this - again, I couldn't be open about this, my parents are in their 80's and they would not of coped.

I would sincerely appreciate chatting with Bluetit1802 - Thank You again.

Hi Charlotte,

I actually just replied to your post on another thread. My reply is here -

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/raised-insulin-and-cancer.158128/#post-1914466

You can chat with me any time you like, either openly on the forum or by private message, whichever you prefer.

Looking at the standard ranges on your ALT, GammaGT and some of the other things, they bare little resemblance to the standard ranges on my lab reports. I know labs do differ, but yours differ by quite a lot. For example, on my lab report the GammaGT standard range is 0 - 65iu/L and the ALT is 3 - 53iu/L both of which would put you in the normal range. This maybe something you could investigate.

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Charlotte! Sorry but I can't comment about Gamma Gt and ALT - I don't have a clue!!
As far as getting your weight and BG down before seeing yout doctor goes, I don't think it matters, as going by your BG results it does look like you have symptoms of diabetes and although there's no great rush it would be better to get it under control sooner rather than later - and it's probably easier than you are probably thinking. It doesn't hurt!!
As far as 'liver dump' goes - it's also known as the 'dawn phenomenon' and happens to everyone, diabetic or not but does elevate blood glucose levels. I've appended a link to an explanation as it would take me too much time to to explain in my own words!
If you do start medication there is a reasonable chance of coming off it with appropriate diet and some exercise as diabetes is a 'condition' that is self- managebale to a very large degree. A good book to help with this is Reverse Your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan.

Dear Dave,
Thank you again and, sorry for the delay in replying.
I wondered 'if' the raised Gamma GT and ALT results was part and parcel of raising the blood sugars leading to the diagnosis for Diabetes, or if BS raised for period of time that this was the cause of these been raised (I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense).
The information on the 'liver dump' / 'dawn phenomenon' is very interesting and good to know. When I measured mine BS in the morning and it was higher, made me feel quite down, knowing this at less lets me feel better about it.
For so many years my dad has said about avoiding medication and once your on it - 'your on it for life' and this has been installed into me, hence trying to lower before seeing doctor.
I have been with my doctors surgery since birth, the only considerate doctor I knew there has left, (nothing like on the TV, GP: Behind closed doors!). I have this vision in my mind that when I go there, the doctor will put me straight on medication and say I am a diabetic end of. It's not about being a diabetic, it's the 'if' I could bring it down without mediation I would feel more comfortable, at the same time I don't want to cause any serious damage to my body whilst trying to do this.
(I'm concerned if 'any' medication could cause any complications, although my breast surgeon said metformin is good and can help reduce risks (something like this, that it is a good drug for other things).

Is it possible, if you go on medication can it be 'short term' - 'if' I was to get numbers down, do doctors take you off the medication?
Also, I have heard of people taking it and being very ill - oww

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
First off, the liver readings are most likely related to the T2. You may not have been officially diagnosed yet, but for now, for argument's sake, I'm going to assume the HbA1c is correct and your gp will eventually confirm it. T2 often comes in a "metabolic syndrome" package; non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, high cholesterol and high bloodpressure. Practically all of those things can get better on a low carb/high fat diet. So if you tackle one thing that way, the rest may well fall in line. That's the idea. From what I understand, taking it a step farther into keto-territory (eating so few carbs, usually 20 or less grams a day, that you go into ketosis; when the body starts burning fat for fuel rather than carbs, becoming what is called "fat-adapted") can also, according to some studies, slow down certain kinds of cancer. Don't ask me which, but thought that would be interesting to you. As it turns out, cancerous cells often feed on glucose. Good to know, maybe?
I was just telling my husband how I wished my other issues were as relatively easily treated as my T2. It's quite doable, though I realise you already have so much more on your plate. Check dietdoctor.com for recipies, ask questions whenever you want, and DO go see your doctor at your earliest convenience. I know it's not a nice talk to have, but you need to get on top of this, and getting support, here and medically, online and real life, will make this journey easier and less lonely. You could tackle a lot through diet, but you want a team behind you, medical checks, maybe some medication (for now?) to kickstart your way to normal bloodsugarlevels. As for the shakes... I'd stop those. Maybe find others with less carbs? (Don't know which ones they used in the Newcastle Diet, but might be worth a google?) But really, real, actual food that hasn't been processed to death will be better for your bloodsugars. (And will get you all the vitamins and minerals you need as well). Eggs and bacon were a really good call. Meat, fish, poultry, above-ground veggies, leafy greens, extra dark chocolate, olives, nuts, cheese, butter, full fat greek yoghurt and double cream... Eat real food, get real results.

You can do this. Honest!!!

Thank you so much for replying to me; yourself and others on here are really kind and helpful. Reading your reply along with others gives me hope - I just need to find and keep the will power. I pray the raised liver readings are related to the T2.
Cancer cells feeding on glucose is good to know, Thank You. I had read that cancer cells feed on glucose (most of us love food that is high in sugars, so this makes sense), this gives me another reason as to why I need to get these numbers down.
I will check out dietdoctor.com, Thank You.
I have stopped the shakes (which is a shame as I liked the taste and they did fill me up, however, on this 'learning course' I from yours and Dave's reply, they have too many carbohydrates in them (I was thinking how good they are supposed to be).
It is so crazy how I am with food, I have always eat poorly, junk food. Vegetables, it makes no sense as to 'why' I would not like them, yet I don't, the thought of 'trying' to eat them just is just crazy, I don't know why, whether it's the texture or what, I just don't know (now my mom, mom will sit and eat a bowl of sprouts, saying she loves them) :spitoutdummy: - How I will master this will be amazing.
The 'eggs and bacon' were pinched from on here :happy: Thank you for the tips on the food, above ground vegetables is good to know (owww).
With regards going to the doctors, you and other kind people on the site have said I need to go, I know this, I am just so mentally drain from the last twelve months, plus, I am frightened, afraid of what might happen, along with I could be put on medication (for life) and not able to come off it.
"If" I was put on medication - would the blood sugars come down straight away?

Thank you for having faith in me x

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
That's good news, your present levels will have been affected by everything you have experienced in the last year. Be kind to yourself.

The media has done an excellent job of informing us all that obesity is the major cause of diabetes and that we all eat far too much. Try thinking of it slightly differently. The more carb you eat, the more insulin you produce. Over time more insulin leads to insulin resistance and therefore even more insulin has to be made. Insulin is the fat storing hormone and it doesn't matter that you eat less than your Basic Metabolic Rate, the Insulin will help you store fat. I might have oversimplified but basically what I'm suggesting is that obesity is a symptom not the cause. If you look at some of the work done at Newcastle University, although the test subjects all lose substantial amounts of weight which is obviously no bad thing, they also change their eating habits substantially and by that I mean they reduce their carb intake.

I wouldn't take that as a hard and fast rule. I usually eat less than 50gms of carb a day and my body is in a state of ketosis.

A lot of people on this forum have done very well decreasing carb AND increasing fat. Personally I can't eat too much fat and I'm not going to worry too much as we're all different. I can give you my experience with lowering carbs. I actually cut out bread, potato, rice and pasta in an effort to lose weight (partial success). Within two weeks I found that I was having hypos so I stopped taking two diabetic drugs, Gliclazide and Januvia. My last HbA1c was 46 although I now have to be careful with protein as well. My total cholesterol is 4. I only take Metformin and I even question it's value.

All the best

Dear David,
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me, this is really kind of you. 'Be kind to myself', how nice to hear these words, this last year I have kept so much in, the family I would most like to tell and would support me, well I can't, they are the generation that as soon as they hear those words think that is it, the worry and upset it cause makes me know I did right. You are right in saying the last twelve months will of affected my readings.
I have eaten so many carbs over the past 12 months (comfort eating comes into it), then when I thought I will make an effort to loose weight I started on the shakes in morning (not every morning) and I felt good on them, they show that they include so many vitamins and minerals, I thought I was doing good by having these, plus they seemed to improve my overall feeling..... I've stopped them now, both Jo and Dave have both said they are high in carbs (which I didn't know or realise).
I've looked on the packet it reads..
Carbohydrates 24g
of which sugars 10g so, I have stopped now.

I am going to go the way of decreasing my carb intake and increase the fat. Its just hard taking it all in, for some reason this seems to be like learning a foreign language. This is totally amazing that after 'two weeks' you were stopping certain medications, wow!

Thank you for your kind words and sharing your story, this has helped me.

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Charlotte,

I actually just replied to your post on another thread. My reply is here -

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/raised-insulin-and-cancer.158128/#post-1914466

You can chat with me any time you like, either openly on the forum or by private message, whichever you prefer.

Looking at the standard ranges on your ALT, GammaGT and some of the other things, they bare little resemblance to the standard ranges on my lab reports. I know labs do differ, but yours differ by quite a lot. For example, on my lab report the GammaGT standard range is 0 - 65iu/L and the ALT is 3 - 53iu/L both of which would put you in the normal range. This maybe something you could investigate.

Hello Bluetit,
Thank you for both your replys, I will reply on the other thread tomorrow if this is okay, I am so slow at things these days, everything seem to be taking me such a while. You went thought it girl and came out the other side 'massive hugs to you'.
My blood test was carried out at a well know hospital so I believe the range to be right (however, I am new to all this, so in truth I don't know - it would be great if I was in the normal range, however, sadly I do think they would be right) maybe they have different ranges or the ranges have recently changed (I don't know).
Before my BC diagnosis (October 2017) 4 months earlier I'd had a routine blood test and all levels were normal. Then last week at first year check up I had a blood test, which came back with the raised numbers... hence my doctor not knowing yet.
I've even started to wonder as the BC they say C likes sugars..... could it be the BC was drawing the blood sugars in and eating them, then after 'it' was removed the blood sugars had no where to go and are now causing havoc around my body hmmm.
I want to go down the 'low carb, high fat' route.... just so hard trying to get my head around it all.
"Thank you so much for your kind offer, this is really kind of you ~ Thank You"
I better go its passed 2:30 am - told you this posting takes me so long haha arrrrghhh x

Reactions: Bluetit1802
Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
A little update on blood sugars for today. They seem to be all over the place - all still very strange.
My waking BS test was a lot better than the day before it...

7.9 mol/L waking (although rather late in the morning)
10.0mol/L after eating.
7.5 molL before eating.
9.1 mol/L after eating.
10.5mol/L random (midnight)
11.1mol/L random (1:30 am ) whilst relaxed posting on here.

(My sleep pattern is all over the place, I can sleep around the clock if allowed, seem to be more awake during the early hours and sleep more during the morning - Not sure if this would upset my body. Saying this, I am trying ((not tonight by the looks of this)) I am trying to go to bed earlier with the intention of getting up earlier, however, this part always seems to evade me).

You are so kind and helpful - I can honestly say, I felt so lost and alone with all this.... "Thank You" xxxx

Reactions: Brunneria

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A little update on blood sugars for today. They seem to be all over the place - all still very strange.
My waking BS test was a lot better than the day before it...

7.9 mol/L waking (although rather late in the morning)
10.0mol/L after eating.
7.5 molL before eating.
9.1 mol/L after eating.
10.5mol/L random (midnight)
11.1mol/L random (1:30 am ) whilst relaxed posting on here.

(My sleep pattern is all over the place, I can sleep around the clock if allowed, seem to be more awake during the early hours and sleep more during the morning - Not sure if this would upset my body. Saying this, I am trying ((not tonight by the looks of this)) I am trying to go to bed earlier with the intention of getting up earlier, however, this part always seems to evade me).

You are so kind and helpful - I can honestly say, I felt so lost and alone with all this.... "Thank You" xxxx

Though your numbers might still seem high, what they go up after a meal is the most significant: it's not more than 2 mmol/l, so that's good. (Assuming you tested 2 hours after the meal.) Your liver dumps glucose into your bloodstream because it just plain does that every morning, for practically all of us, and your sugars have been high for a longer period of time: it thinks they should be that way, and may dump during the day to up them some. On top of that, when you're stressed, there's a hormone that gets released (corticosteroid) and that tells the liver you need extra energy for a fight-or-flight response. The days where we had to run for a sabretooth tiger ar elong behind us, but the biological responses to stress are still the same. So on comes even more glucose. That's why your numbers can go up, or when you sleep fitfully, for instance. It honestly thinks it's helping.

You really, really need to go to a doctor. I know how horrible it is, I truly, truly do, I'm not underestimating your feelings here. BUT. If you're diagnosed a T2, you'll get help. You need annual check-ups of your eyes for instance... Don't get those if you're not listed. Your kidneys and liverfunction need to be kept an eye on as well. (Also so you know when you're improving! See it as a good thing, because there IS improvement in the cards here! Testresults can actually give one hope, it's not always bad news. But you've got to know where you're starting from.) Also, like I said, right now your liver's being a busybody. The first medicine a doc perscribes is metformin. That will calm down your liver's responce by about 75%, so at least in the beginning, while it's getting used to "the new normal", that would be quite helpful. (It's also an appetite suppressant, not sure if that's relevant for you tough.). I was on metformin, gliclazide and a statin for cholesterol when first diagnosed. After a few months I was off all three, and have been diet-only for 2 years now. So you're not stuck on those pills forever, once you start. And pills don't impact bloodsugars so greatly as you might hope, you need to take them for a little while to get a plateau going. Instant results would come with insulin, but your numbers don't merit such drastic action, far as I can see. You're not doing as badly as you might think, you know. So...

- Go to a doc and get officially diagnosed. That way you get tests, handholds and targets to strive for, and the occasional pat on the back, because you can DO this thing!
- Discuss with the doc whether or not you want to try metformin (Slow release is possibly the better option), something else, or want to go diet-only from the get-go. *You* get a choice here. You decide how you tackle this.
- You still sound like you've got one foot in the grave. You don't. I think you'll find T2 easier to handle than BC was, in the long run. I know it's my easiest issue to tackle... Which i never thought I'd say when first diagnosed. It's just a few adjustments in food. And if you don't like veggies, you can go for a more carniverous diet, or add more dairy. As long as you enjoy what you eat, -admittedly, that takes some research, some of it maybe at dietdoctor.com- and you're not going hungry all the time, it's sustainable for life. I make sure every meal is a party on my plate. Otherwise, i never would've made it this far.
- Confort eating can be switched. Instead of something carby I now go for a bit of cheese, some nuts, extra dark chocolate. It doesn't have to be much, as long as it's providing a little pleasure when needed... After eating low carb for a while your palette will change and it will demand less sweet things and enjoy savoury more. (I actually had a luxury bonbon last week and I wondered how I ever enjoyed something so sickeninly sweet! That coming from someone who used to put 5 spoonfulls of sugar in her tea.).
- If you really liked the shakes, check the ones used in the Newcastle Diet (Optifast). They're still rather carby, but if you have no more than one a day it might not have that big of an impact. Check with your meter!!! Before the meal and 2 hours after, be it a regular plate-based one or a shake. It'll tell you whether it's okay.

You'll be alright. But do get yourself to a doctor and see whether there's someone you can talk to about this. If you can't with your doc, maybe get a psychologist? Anyone you can talk to, confide in, releave your load some, will do. And if it can't be friends and family, then a professional (or us right here of course, but we might not be enough; computerscreens can't comfort like a strurdy shoulder can).

You don't have to carry this on your own.

Hug,
Jo

Reactions: Brunneria

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've looked on the packet it reads.
Carbohydrates 24g of which sugars 10g so, I have stopped now.

Try not to forget that high carb for one person is low carb for someone else. I've managed to keep below 50gms a day for a while, but I consult a nutritional therapist and she has suggested going below 20 gms per day and increasing fats. Double cream in coffee then. The important thing is, and it's why it's essential to have a BG monitor, one has to try something and see what happens with BG levels.

If you've heard of the Newcastle Diet, the Optifast meal replacement sachets used have about 20gms of carb and they have three sachets a day. The Newcastle Diet has been very successful in "reversing" diabetes (their words, not mine) and have certainly helped lower people's BG and HbA1c results. So 24 gms of carb may not be the end of the world, you just have to check with your meter.

All the best.

Geoffno6

Hi @Confused Charlotte
I love this website and the effort people put in for each other.
If it helps my Hba1c has come down from 126 to 67 and hopefully due mainly to a LCHF diet it will show lower in the test I had last week.
I get a bit concerned/demotivated when I see people all worried when their BS is over 5 in the morning and mine is up in the 9s but it’s coming down and I’m still here :)
Good luck and I’m sure if you try hard the T2 won’t be a problem you can’t deal with.