what snacks do you eat?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
susieg.
I'm afraid for many it's 'par for the course'........people are either given a few tips and then left to fend for themselves or just told inject at x and y times.......left to fend for themselves. It shouldn't happen.......but it all depends on the GP/DSN/Nurse etc what information you get. If they are not clued up then you are at risk of getting worse and maybe even complications.

Basically we have to be our own 'expert' on Diabetes and treatment, diet etc......it's our lives we are talking about, something which some HCP's (not all) appear to have forgotten.

Hopefully with the help of other T1's and other members you will get better informed. It is very confusing, just keep asking questions here, and when you know more ask questions of your Diabetic team........put them on the spot as to why nobody told you certain things !

Good luck.....it will get better....... :wink:

adamathomason

A good snack that i have are dairylee dunkers or better still they do them with mini ritz and light philidelphia that are really nice and they are around 12g carbs. I was told at the diabetic clinic i can have 20g of carbs without injecting but obviously depends on what my levels are. Having said this i am 6ft and quite built and when i spoke to a friend she said she can onlyhave 10 and she is rather slim. .

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Chicken wrapped in bacon
Sausages wrapped in bacon
Serrano ham (sometimes wrapped around cheese)

I find these supress my appetite and keep my blood sugars normal.

Cheers

LGC

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
adamathomason said:
A good snack that i have are dairylee dunkers or better still they do them with mini ritz and light philidelphia that are really nice and they are around 12g carbs. I was told at the diabetic clinic i can have 20g of carbs without injecting but obviously depends on what my levels are. Having said this i am 6ft and quite built and when i spoke to a friend she said she can onlyhave 10 and she is rather slim. .

10g of carbs is about my limit without injecting, I do snack occasionally if I am out for a long walk (6-8 miles) and usually take a medium sized banana which keeps my levels stable.

Nigel

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
9 bars! Only found them recently and always keep one in handbag now - they do have carob and honey in them, so quite high in sugar (16g carb of which 14 is sugar), but they're packed with seeds which lower the overall GI and dont affect your blood sugars in the same way a biscuit would. Dairy free, gluten free, high in fibre and omega 3&6, so lots of good stuff for growing baby!

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
oops, just noticed original post was in 2009 - guess you're not preggers anymore LOL!

reasonably healthy handbag-snack for anyone though!