what snacks do you eat?

willogs

I have now had my baby but finding that I need to still snack whilst Breast feeing so there are some good ideas here. Thanks for all the valid comments. I posted in the non low carb forum as I felt it was where it was appropriately placed. I don't low carb, I understand the need to balance carbs, but whilst pregnant felt that a balanced diet was just as appropriate. As for not snacking because it was 'habit', it was more likely that I was hungry because of the baby that was developing inside me and the 2 1/2 year old that runs round my house like a whirlwind. Thanks again.

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
congratulations on the birth of your baby.sounds like you have your hands full.

dermot

CR741

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i always check my levels before eating a snack with carbs. if on a high 4 or a 5 i can have 9g without going high and it prevents it from dropping, of course everyone is different so 9g for one person may rise too high whereas another can eat it happily. i can eat about 7/8g on a 6. you can get nairn mixed berrie buiscuits 6.5 carbs, or ginger nairns for 6.6. i think there are lots of other flavours too. for 9g you can enjoy a mcvities non chocolate digestive for 9.3 carbs. i also love laughing cow cheez dippers for 8.8. you can get belvita breakfast biscuits for 8 carbs. they are healthy as they are made with wholegrain, there are no colours or preservatives, its a good source of fibre and has vitamins B1 and E. also, it is released slowly over 4 hours so shouldnt spike you. you can get mcvities rich tea for 5.9 carbs or sainsburys rich tea for 5.2. if you want less carbs but want a biscuit you can even get sainsburys rich tea fingers with 3.6 carbs. riveta crackers are good and come in various flavours, they are about 5/6 carbs but you will have to check the exact amounts on the packets. if your levels are okay with having a higher carb snack alpen cereal bars are good. they are 14 carbs and very tasty. they raise my levels a few places though, so i usually eat them when i am on a 4 and doing exersise, usually dancing. if you want less carbs and dont want to worry about checking your levels you could have cheesestrings for only a trace of carbs. you could also have sugar free jelly pots. the strawberry small pots are only 0.4 carbs. you could also make a salad bowl, with lettuce and cucumber and lots of veggies. most veggies are very very low carb and healthy. you could add fish like tuna or lean cuts of chicken as it is low fat. you could even have mackeral fish, or sardines because it has omega 3 and is very healthy. you could also enjoy a slice of cod without batter as it is low fat and low carb. you could always have an egg for no carbs too. they are quite filling too. i find a cup of twinings herbal green tea with pineapple and grapefruit fills me up nicely and only has 0.4 carbs for a 200ml cup, there are plenty more flavours too. all lovely snacks...im sure you will find loads more snacks soon!
please let me know how you are getting on and if you like any of these. i would love to know!
cr741 :D

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some of us are skinny type 2 DBs and are desperate to put weight on so we need to snack to add extra carbs to our diet.We are not greedy or food junkies :!:
CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't snack a lot and find my main meals fill me enough to last to the next meal, but if I do I quite like Pumpkin seeds, or if my bg is in the 4's a couple of Scottish Oat Crackers (10g of carbs).

Nigel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find oat cakes are brilliant. The Nairns brand do a little packet of cheesy mini oatcakes, they taste just like mini cheddars - i found them in the low gluten section of sainsburys. Also stuff like ryvita fills me up if i'm feeling peckish. Lidls do a nice sesame seed version. try spreading a teeny bit of green pesto on crackers for a bit of flavour. also a bit partial to the mini cheeses in those little net bags.

Im no expert and im newly diagnosed, but i sometimes have a small banana or apple as a sweet treat that luckily doesnt bother my sugar levels too much.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
ClareyClareyClare said:
I find oat cakes are brilliant. The Nairns brand do a little packet of cheesy mini oatcakes, they taste just like mini cheddars - i found them in the low gluten section of sainsburys.

I couldn't agree more, Nairns are by far the best! :)

Nigel

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Being male and a T2 my tips probably wont be a lot of help, but I usually have some pre cooked cocktail (mini) sausages lingering in the fridge and if I do feel I need for an inter-meal diversion I'll snack on a couple of those (nuked) with a bucket of hot tea made with whole milk (no sugar) and slowly sipped.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
For a small carby snack I have a (just one) Walkers biscuit but usually, being T2, a piece of cheese is better. :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Cheese and Pickles, Pork Pie (with the crusty bits !) Small bag of scratchings or Crisps, Cup-a-Soup, Jacob's Crackers and selection of Cheese.........luvverly ! Not all at the same time and it all depend on pre snack Bg level.

And of course.....Hartley's Sugar free jelly :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
Cheese and Pickles, Pork Pie (with the crusty bits !) Small bag of scratchings or Crisps, Cup-a-Soup, Jacob's Crackers and selection of Cheese.........luvverly ! :D

And you wonder why you've put weight on lately! :lol:

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You TART :shock: lo carb of course ! :lol:

I don't wonder, Haggis and stuff is lovely.....just not every flamin' day ! :roll:

I'll have you know I have lost over 6 lb since I got back........ :D Anyway, sounds like you are going to be having a mega Xmas dinner if the other thread is anything to go by ! Turkey AND Beef ..... :(
Shall we have a weigh in after Xmas then......... :twisted:

Ken

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
Anyway, sounds like you are going to be having a mega Xmas dinner if the other thread is anything to go by ! Turkey AND Beef ..... :(

You bet I am! :wink:

Shall we have a weigh in after Xmas then......... :twisted:

Well if we do You'll need two sets of scales............one for each foot! :lol:

Ken

Merry Christmas! :wink:

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Nigel

Actually
one to weigh in Kgs for us modern types, the other in Stones/pounds for old fogies like you ! :wink:

Erm .....are we going to derail this thread as well ? Let me know.... I have to get my explanation ready for tomorrow morning when the Boss is back........ :twisted: :wink:

Happy Easter ! :D

CR741

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i have already posted a comment on this, but i just remembered plane popcorn is quite good, it is low carb and fat if you don't have anything added to it. :D
cr741

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
I am a newly diagnosed T1 (24/11/10) so almost a month now. I have been advised (and know not otherwise) to have a snack inbetween meals. I eat porridge for breakfast which seems to make me less hungry than any other cereal, and I don't feel hungry, but I feel I ought to hav something, so I eat an apple. same with the rest of the days meals, I neve feel hungry but I snack anyway...seems so pointless, but I don't want to go too low, I also have to eat a bowl of cereal before bedtime incase I hypo, (I am taking a mixed dose insulin twice a day) This I hate to do, but am scared of having a hypo at 2am! so.....snacks, apples, oaty cereal bar/biscuit type thing - weight watchers, and the odd digestive biscuit.

I am gleening all the information on this site as I am still confused and in the dark as to what is going on,.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
susieg.
If you don't want or need to snack......why do it ? Some people do snack to keep levels stable, however if you test frequently throughout the day that will tell you if you NEED to snack....... :)

Many don't snack between meals at all.......

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
Cugila

Thanks for that. Why don't these proffessionals tell you that? they tell you this that and the other like it's got to be or you'll flake out! They didn't say " you could" they just said 3 meals a day with snacks in between. maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, but being new to all this and totally confused by the whole 'my world revolves around eating' thing... I would have thought they'd explain it a bit more. they just said I was type 1 take this Insulin bd and eat bla bla bla and snacks inbetween. So I obey.... as you do.... But I would like to lose a bit of weight, so all this food isn't helping. lol

Also, this thing about bread making your BS go sky high...why didn't anyone tell me this, the dietician didn't even mention it. just said eat brown/seedy/oaty bread. which I do.

Fed up with being diabtetic now... can it now stop!!!! lol