What To Eat Before Exercise And What To Exercise

nevenaves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the morning, before breakfast, I usually, do morning stretching 20 mins (5 Tibetans and 12-15 mins of Vinyasa yoga) and that bumps up my BG for 0.5 unit. 1/2h after breakfast I walk 1/2h to work, I also go for a 1/2 walk on my break and 1/2h on my way home. If I have the energy I go for a swim after dinner (once or twice 15 mins) or for an hour walk. Even after a meal, I go low after 40 mins of activity. Every time I see a nutritionist or a doctor they tell me that is not enough, even though my values are quite low. My GP told me that everything under 45 mins blocks exercise doesn't count. How much should I exercise and what kind of exercise? Also, what do you eat before exercising so you don't go low? Btw the only sports I like are ones related to water and yoga, I can't stand collective sweating.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrsonKartt

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @nevenaves

What are your BG levels like before you exercise ?

Exercise is a very individual thing, so it's best to stick to exercise and exercise durations you enjoy, otherwise it becomes a battle with your BG levels. Keep an exercise diary so record bg level before exercise, if you ate or took insulin and what your finishing BG level is, record hypos, keeping a diary will help you to manage your exercise more easily as you can see what works and what doesnt.

I run, cycle and swim and with each exercise I aim to be above 7 mmol/l before I start with no quick acting insulin on board, if I am higher than 10 then I take insulin, otherwise at the end I could be higher than where I started, if I am below 6 then I eat something around 5-10g of carb, I exercise for around 30-40 mins and if in range I remove my pump before I start exercising (mainly because I don't like wearing it, particularly for a run).

I tend to find where I start with my BG levels will predict where I end up so staying above 7 gives me enough leverage against going low, if I finish exercise and I am around 4-5 then I eat a snack 10g of carb, otherwise I leave and wait until next meal time.

Reactions: nevenaves

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the morning, before breakfast, I usually, do morning stretching 20 mins (7 Tibetans and 12-15 mins of Vinyasa yoga) and that bumps up my BG for 0.5 unit. 1/2h after breakfast I walk 1/2h to work, I also go for a 1/2 walk on my break and 1/2h on my way home. If I have the energy I go for a swim after dinner (once or twice 15 mins) or for an hour walk. Even after a meal, I go low after 40 mins of activity. Every time I see a nutritionist or a doctor they tell me that is not enough, even though my values are quite low. My GP told me that everything under 45 mins blocks exercise doesn't count. How much should I exercise and what kind of exercise? Also, what do you eat before exercising so you don't go low? Btw the only sports I like are ones related to water and yoga, I can't stand collective sweating.
I think your routine sounds pretty good and adds up to more than the recommended 150 minutes per day so not sure where the 45 mins idea comes in! And your values are in range then you are doing better than me! I am a PT and we usually recommend 20-30 minutes of cardio done to a level where you are getting out of breath for some of the time. It can be done in smalll chunks too.Can you run up some flights of stairs, find an aqua class or find a steep hill to work into your route or get a bike? Keep the jelly babies on standby...
As for hypos you can either eat more carbs (banana or honey sandwich - don't do carbs much anymore so I am sure someone will provide better ideas) if weight is not a concern or reduce your bolus for the meal before or after the exercise. With a pump that would mean unplugging or reducing the % of bolus for a temporary period.
The thing you are not doing is some resistance work e.g. weigths. This doesn't have to mean collective sweating/grunting in a gym but can be done with body weight/bands/kettle bells at home. Yoga or pilates can be strengthening too. There's lots of stuff on YouTube for free! This kind of exercise may well make your blood sugar go higher so I'd test. The point of the weights is to keep you insulin sensitive btw.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi I'm type 2 so bear with me if I have missed anything

Yoga is great load bearing exercise - those who haven't tried it have no idea !

I find that a handful of nuts, almonds , walnuts + brazils for me as I'm low carbing before activity helps in keeping my glucose levels rising too much

nevenaves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think your routine sounds pretty good and adds up to more than the recommended 150 minutes per day so not sure where the 45 mins idea comes in! And your values are in range then you are doing better than me! I am a PT and we usually recommend 20-30 minutes of cardio done to a level where you are getting out of breath for some of the time. It can be done in smalll chunks too.Can you run up some flights of stairs, find an aqua class or find a steep hill to work into your route or get a bike? Keep the jelly babies on standby...
As for hypos you can either eat more carbs (banana or honey sandwich - don't do carbs much anymore so I am sure someone will provide better ideas) if weight is not a concern or reduce your bolus for the meal before or after the exercise. With a pump that would mean unplugging or reducing the % of bolus for a temporary period.
The thing you are not doing is some resistance work e.g. weigths. This doesn't have to mean collective sweating/grunting in a gym but can be done with body weight/bands/kettle bells at home. Yoga or pilates can be strengthening too. There's lots of stuff on YouTube for free! This kind of exercise may well make your blood sugar go higher so I'd test. The point of the weights is to keep you insulin sensitive btw.

Thank you for your reply NicoleC1971. Currently I only take basal insulin, Lantus 8 units in the morning.

nevenaves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm type 2 so bear with me if I have missed anything

Yoga is great load bearing exercise - those who haven't tried it have no idea !

I find that a handful of nuts, almonds , walnuts + brazils for me as I'm low carbing before activity helps in keeping my glucose levels rising too much

Thank you OrsonKartt. I love nuts so a handful of nuts won't be a problem.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

nevenaves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @nevenaves

What are your BG levels like before you exercise ?

Exercise is a very individual thing, so it's best to stick to exercise and exercise durations you enjoy, otherwise it becomes a battle with your BG levels. Keep an exercise diary so record bg level before exercise, if you ate or took insulin and what your finishing BG level is, record hypos, keeping a diary will help you to manage your exercise more easily as you can see what works and what doesnt.

I run, cycle and swim and with each exercise I aim to be above 7 mmol/l before I start with no quick acting insulin on board, if I am higher than 10 then I take insulin, otherwise at the end I could be higher than where I started, if I am below 6 then I eat something around 5-10g of carb, I exercise for around 30-40 mins and if in range I remove my pump before I start exercising (mainly because I don't like wearing it, particularly for a run).

I tend to find where I start with my BG levels will predict where I end up so staying above 7 gives me enough leverage against going low, if I finish exercise and I am around 4-5 then I eat a snack 10g of carb, otherwise I leave and wait until next meal time.

Thank you JuicyJ for your reply. I am using only basal insulin, 8 units of Lantus and only once a month I go above 10 (never more than 12), so I didn't use bolus insulin for correction. Usually, I go walking/swimming 1/2h after the main meal (30-50 gr carbs). To be honest, I check my BG 1/2h after mail only when I am using FreeStyle Libra and as I live in Malta, it's not part of my social security health package and the package includes only 4 strips a day. Usually, I buy more strips to be able to check BG 7 times a day.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the morning, before breakfast, I usually, do morning stretching 20 mins (7 Tibetans and 12-15 mins of Vinyasa yoga) and that bumps up my BG for 0.5 unit. 1/2h after breakfast I walk 1/2h to work, I also go for a 1/2 walk on my break and 1/2h on my way home. If I have the energy I go for a swim after dinner (once or twice 15 mins) or for an hour walk. Even after a meal, I go low after 40 mins of activity. Every time I see a nutritionist or a doctor they tell me that is not enough, even though my values are quite low. My GP told me that everything under 45 mins blocks exercise doesn't count. How much should I exercise and what kind of exercise? Also, what do you eat before exercising so you don't go low? Btw the only sports I like are ones related to water and yoga, I can't stand collective sweating.
Have you got the free e-book: https://brightspotsandlandmines.org by T1 Adam Brown? He is enthusiatic about exercise, though he probably doesn't do as much as you! I also like his column on the Diatribe site: https://diatribe.org/search/advanced/?f[0]=im_field_section_name:294
Another site focussing on exercising as a T1 which you might find inspiring is: https://diabetesstrong.com

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I know it must sound like a luxury then testing before and after then, but checking it before you start exercise is a good gauge of where you will end up, at least then you know if you need to eat a small snack to stay safe during exercise.

nevenaves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the morning, before breakfast, I usually, do morning stretching 20 mins (5 Tibetans and 12-15 mins of Vinyasa yoga) and that bumps up my BG for 0.5 unit. 1/2h after breakfast I walk 1/2h to work, I also go for a 1/2 walk on my break and 1/2h on my way home. If I have the energy I go for a swim after dinner (once or twice 15 mins) or for an hour walk. Even after a meal, I go low after 40 mins of activity. Every time I see a nutritionist or a doctor they tell me that is not enough, even though my values are quite low. My GP told me that everything under 45 mins blocks exercise doesn't count. How much should I exercise and what kind of exercise? Also, what do you eat before exercising so you don't go low? Btw the only sports I like are ones related to water and yoga, I can't stand collective sweating.

I am a semi - pro tennis player, Type 2, and play sports everyday.

Before exercise I make sure my bg levels are between 6.5-7 mmols/l.

I usually eat a fruit and a meal at least 1 hour before exercise.

My meals are either -

Boiled egg sandwich (LivLife low carb Bread)
with mayonnaise and cucumbers.

Smoked salmon sandwich with salad.

Roast chicken sandwich with salad.

Cheese and cucumber sandwich.

Chicken egg noodles with stir fried vegetables.

Chicken curry with brown rice and vegetables.

Hope this helps.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your reply NicoleC1971. Currently I only take basal insulin, Lantus 8 units in the morning.
Good excuse to eat more then! Out of interest why is your GP so keen for you to exercise more. I find my consultants to be ambiguous about the benefits of exercise for type 1s as it seems to make things more complex in my case!

nevenaves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good excuse to eat more then! Out of interest why is your GP so keen for you to exercise more. I find my consultants to be ambiguous about the benefits of exercise for type 1s as it seems to make things more complex in my case!
Both my GP and my nutritionist told me I am not exercising enough even though my values are very good. That totally baffled me.

nevenaves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My meals are either -

Hope this helps.
Thank you NewTD2 I will definitely try all suggestions except the salmon sandwich.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Both my GP and my nutritionist told me I am not exercising enough even though my values are very good. That totally baffled me.
Diabetes raises the risk of heart disease and other health problems. Exercise lowers that risk. Many T1s also find it helps their morale.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

My meals are either -

Hope this helps.
Is this a high carb diet?