What to expect

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I've sort of been diagnosed with type 1. Dr rang me yesterday saying they found antibodies in my blood. I have been referred to hospital sometime next week.

I was just wondering what to expect while I am there?

I'm currently on T2 meds that have got my levels down to around the 7 mark on the morning and lower during the day. Ive been told to test for ketones which so far has came back negative. The dr worringly told me to go to A and E if ketones test positive and my bg levels go above 15. This has worried me, but is this just standard practice?

Cheers John

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've been told to go to A&E if blood sugar is over 15 or if you have ketones because of the risk of DKA for a type 1 not on insulin.

You should be getting an urgent appointment to get you on insulin and have your oral meds reviewed.

Reactions: dbr10 and Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The dr said the hospital weren't worried about my levels as they were low. But he said they will ve in touch for me to go there next week.

Reactions: dbr10

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive just done a bg test and it was 3 9mmol.

Any ideas what to do?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some Type 2 meds are contraindicated for Type 1s so getting off them is a good idea. In addition, the early introduction of insulin can help preserve your remaining beta cells for longer.

Type 1 comes on more slowly in adults but things can change very quickly, so I imagine that's why you were given the advice you were to go to A and E if things deteriorate.

Reactions: Jc3131

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive just done a bg test and it was 3 9mmol.

Any ideas what to do?

Your pancreas is probably spurting out random amounts of insulin at random times. I'd test again to make sure that's correct, then eat a small amount of carbs and test again in 10 or 15 minutes.

What Type 2 meds are you on?

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im on 80 mg Gliclazide and 500 metformin in morning and 40mg and 500 at nighy

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had two ginger snap biscuits and its gone up to 5.9.

Cheers for advice i appreciate it.

I think its worse at the moment as im not on right meds and im worrying its dropping too low. It's happened all week around this time where its dipped quite low for me. Todays 3.9 was the lowest.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good :)

It must be stressful having to,wait for the right treatment. It would make me anxious too.

If you keep going low, then eat small amounts of carbs regularly and test frequently. Once you get the correct professional input, you'll find it easier and a relief.

You'll also be able to put back the weight you lost. If you remember, I,asked about that on your other thread and you said it was the drinking and frequent toilet visits. That's typical of undiagnosed Type 1. I didnt realise how rough I'd been feeling pre-diagnosis until I got on insulin and got back to being more myself.

You're ok at 5.9 :) Just keep up the regular tests and don't be afraid of 'bothering' A&E if you feel things aren't going well.

Reactions: Guzzler and Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have felt off for a while but i put that down to Woking long term nightshift. Ive been off nights now for 4 months and didn't feel much better.

This 3.9 reading has knocked me for 6 today and I still feel a little off colour because of it.

I felt fine yesterday, that was until the dr rang me and told me the news I didn't want to hear regarding type 1.

Im hoping i am at hospital at the beginning of the week as I need sorting. It is stressful waiting and not knowing as being a typical bloke I don't like going to drs and hospitals and discussing things.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The Gliclazide may be causing the low blood sugar. I suspect you are in the T1 honeymoon period and able to produce some insulin when prodded by the Gliclazide. I wouldn't panic but wait until the hospital calls you. Just keep monitoring at present. Many of us have been in the 20s blood sugar levels before the right treatment but if the ketones are high as well then DKA becomes more likely with an urgent need for insulin.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Goodluck @Jc3131 .
You are in good hands. ;)

Are you home alone? Any problems call an ambulance if you are.
A&E would sort you out in a jiffy. Pre-appointment. Ok?

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not alone I have wife amd kids here. At moment everything seems ok. U just hope it stays that way until i get appointment. The dr said I would be seen to next week.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The Gliclazide may be causing the low blood sugar. I suspect you are in the T1 honeymoon period and able to produce some insulin when prodded by the Gliclazide. I wouldn't panic but wait until the hospital calls you. Just keep monitoring at present. Many of us have been in the 20s blood sugar levels before the right treatment but if the ketones are high as well then DKA becomes more likely with an urgent need for insulin.
The tests are showing no ketones so hopefully will stay that way.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I was in a similar position. You will be bashed about the head with all sorts of information. You have already been given excellent guidance above. If you feel funny test, if low, a small sweet snack, follow that rule for the rest of your life and you will have a fantastic start.

There are all sorts of options, but go simple to start with and once that is sorted then start getting adventuresome. Many here are mini cyborgs, with all sorts of stuff stuck in them (and it's great stuff and frequently expensive), but take your time.
The best bit of advice is you have plenty of company and anything you feel emotionally and physically, there is a small army here that has been there done that and survived, I would suggest that many T1's here are not just surviving, but are thriving. Once you start to get the hang of things remember you are in control of Diabetes not Diabetes in control of you. You will have to make a few compromises, but don't let it take over your life, except for the first few months. As far as I'm concerned D is there for my convenience not the other way around. What works for one person frequently doesn't work for another. Welcome to our exclusive club, we are fussy whom we let in, but you have passed with flying colours. You will become more relaxed with it as time goes by.

Reactions: Ledzeptt and Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As Tuesday draws closer for my hospital appointment at the diabetes clinic. The worry of injecting insulin is starting to worry me. I just cannot bare to think of doing it. I want to get on with my life so I have to do it. I've been off work since I was diagnosed and I cannot go back until I have my meds sorted. Work have been understanding especially as I was due back last Monday on a phased return as I thought I was a type 2.

I know I will be at a near fainting point when I need to inject. I was terrible with the finger pricker never mind a needle.

I've had a few low blood sugar readings, but i have realised when they are happening. But with insulin will these feelings increase?

Sorry for waffling on.

John