What to expect

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive had spinal injections myself
But they were done by someone else. Its the thought of doing it myself. Ive been joking on saying I've got to self harm before meals, just to try and take my mind off my issue.

Reactions: MrGrumpyD

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well todays the day, the countdown has begun.

Im dreading this appointment but I have to look at it as being the first day of the rest of my life. Im just hoping as I drive to hospital a miracle cure in the form of a tablet has been invented, and no javelin sized needles are needed.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well todays the day, the countdown has begun.

Im dreading this appointment but I have to look at it as being the first day of the rest of my life. Im just hoping as I drive to hospital a miracle cure in the form of a tablet has been invented, and no javelin sized needles are needed.

I had/have a needle phobia. It honestly isn't as bad as you're imagining.

I still struggle with anyone else using needles on me, but it's much easier when I do it. The needles are tiny and the injection only goes into the top layer of skin/fat.

Good luck :)

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Worked myself up all day. And in the end it wasn't too bad.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They have stopped my type two meds and replaced them for the time being with one jab of slow acting insulin. Lantus solostar and its 4 units per day.

The nurse said im in my honeymoon period as im still producing insulin for now. But i also have to take the novorapid injections before meals when my pancreas packs in.

Its a lot to take in, but I was more prepared than I thought. This is down to the advice and help from people on this forum.

Nurse is ringing me on Thursday to see if I've managed to jab myself and then on Monday I'm back at clinic to see how things are going.

Cheers John

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good news, John :) Be kind to yourself, test lots and know we're with you :)

Reactions: Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick question. I gave myself the injection around 3.30pm and it was painless. But it now feels sore. Will this just be because its my first? Cos It's going to be quite painful if I have 10 plus sore points at any one time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
3.30? Was that your lantus?
Or bolus for some food?

You really should not feel a small mucrofine needle go in... you will get more at ease and less tense in a short time about injecting.

You shouldnt have pain in it hours after.

Go and distract yourself doing something you enjoy for an hour or so.. serioysly, try doing something else other than diabetes...

Do something different totally away from diabetes.. watch tv upside down or put some comedy on, take dog for walk, go for a run, make a cuppa, paint a pucture...

Well done for today but you need relaxation away from diabetes thoughts...

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
And in the end it wasn't too bad.

Good to hear, John! It's always that fear of the unknown which makes it seems worse than it is.

I remember my first ever self-administered injection. After the practice on the orange (do they still do that!?!), my dad was there doing the paternal support bit, he then says, well done, son, gives me a slap on the back...while the needle was still in my leg! Could've decked him...

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive had spinal injections myself
But they were done by someone else. Its the thought of doing it myself. Ive been joking on saying I've got to self harm before meals, just to try and take my mind off my issue.
I sometimes refer to it as shooting up. Humour helps :D
Geoff

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
But it now feels sore.

It might be that because it's your first that you're worrying about reactions and subconsciously over focussing on what you expect to feel in that area, it all being such a new thing to you, but certainly keep an eye on the injection site for any redness or rash. The lantus info leaflet reports redness as an occasional side effect so it would be as well to discuss with DSN/doc if pain persists.

Reactions: azure

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the replies. I have a small bruise around the injection site. Maybe I've been too aggressive putting the needle in.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find my lantus stings a little while after I inject it which was put down to it being slightly acidic (making it possible to slowly release from fatty tissue and not too quickly). But novorapid is neutral pH pretty much and doesn't sting at all. Good luck with everything! Kat x

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the replies. I have a small bruise around the injection site. Maybe I've been too aggressive putting the needle in.
Perhaps we need a thread where people can upload their post-injection bruising photos, with a Bruise of the Month Award.
I'll show you mine, if you show me yours :D
Happens to the best of us.
Geoff

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps we need a thread where people can upload their post-injection bruising photos, with a Bruise of the Month Award.
I'll show you mine, if you show me yours :D
Happens to the best of us.
Geoff
You will end up with people hitting themselves to get a bigger bruise. Two mins while i punch myself in the stomach. I'll send in the pic later when the bruise comes out.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got a letter from hospital regarding my recent appointment. Im going back on monday and one of the things they are doing is updating a baseline coeliac screen.

Anyone any ideas what that means?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just got a letter from hospital regarding my recent appointment. Im going back on monday and one of the things they are doing is updating a baseline coeliac screen.

Anyone any ideas what that means?

I don't know what the updating bit means but people with Type 1 are at higher risk of developing coeliac disease. My consultant does screens every couple of years.

Reactions: Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had another appointment today. My blood glucose readings for the last week have all been within the hospitals targets, bar a few spikes that settled down within an hour. They are just keeping me on 4 units of Lantus a day until my honeymoon period is over.

They even said they could take me off it as my readings were good but it's a risk that the sugar jumps up to the high teens again. I've decided to stay on my one dose per day.

The only issue I'm having at the moment is that I am always hungry an hour after meals.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app