What Type Am I?

Jenniewoo

I started to get high blood sugars around age 22 which flagged up in a routine blood test. I went on to develop gestational diabetes a few years later and now have full blown diabetes.

The problem is I am very slim and not the typical type 2. If I loose the slightest bit of weight I will be underweight so I need to keep the weight on. I have just been tested for MODY and after waiting nearly a year for results due to mix ups and delays, this has come back negative! I was really hoping for an actual result but now back to square one

I am definitely not type 1. I have just started Repaglinide when I have a big meal as after testing my blood I only get occasional highs after bigger meals. I have been told to take this as my last hba1c was 50.

Has anyone got any advice or been through this same situation?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello jenniewoo, how do you do?
Welcome to the forums.

Why do you write "I am definitely not type 1" ? What tests have you had done?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Repaglinide is a drug that stimulates the pancreas to produce extra insulin, so in effect will stop/reduce post meal highs. However, you say you don't have post meal highs? Is this correct? What sort of rise do you get from before eating to after eating at the 2 hour mark? The normal first line drug is Metformin, a far more mild and gentle one. It is also unusual to be given any drug with an HbA1c of only 50, especially a drug that works the way this one does. Mostly a period of 3 months is given to try and reduce the levels with a change of diet. Were you told why you were given this drug?

The fact you are slim does not in any way discount Type 2. The media likes to portray all T2s as big and fat, but that really is not the case. There are many slim T2s out in the world and on this forum.

Jenniewoo

Hello jenniewoo, how do you do?
Welcome to the forums.

Why do you write "I am definitely not type 1" ? What tests have you had done?

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I have been tested for type 1 and it came back that I wasn’t.

Before meals seem to be ok around the 5 mark. Two hours after meals (decent satisfying meals not necessarily unhealthy but bigger portions) they vary from 8.4 to a few recent readings of 13.4.

I have been put on this drug as I am abit of an odd ball. They think I would have to many hypos if I took the other pancreas stimulating medications regularly, so decided just to take the short acting ones when I need them ie if I eat out or have a bigger meal. I have tried diet before and managed to keep it relatively low, hba1c around 44 mark but lost weight and became underweight and weak and tired. Also metformin made me the same, underweight and weak. So I clearly need the food intake which is why they suggested this to keep the bigger meal readings down. As soon as I reduce carbs the weight falls off quickly

Also I have noticed sometimes exercise or a lot of activity after eating raises my blood sugars. I can be active a good hour or so after eating (with kids etc) and when I test I’m high. I get lower readings doing gentle moving around

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand now, thank you.

As for low carb, there is absolutely no need to lose weight, but you do have to increase either fats or protein or both. There are plenty of slim folk on here maintaining a good slim weight. Personally I was overweight when diagnosed and on low carb I lost it all. My BMI dropped from 31 to 21. That was 4 years ago, and since then I have maintained my slim figure. I actually reduced my carbs even further, right down to 30g a day, and at the same time added a lot of extra fats, mainly from protein sources such as eggs and cheese. I also added extra mayo and butter, and admit to also adding a glass of red wine every evening. I really am not the only one to have done this, and plenty of members start out slim like you and manage not to lose. It is simply a matter of replacing the calories you lose from carbs with good fats and protein.

Maybe worth a try for you?

Jenniewoo

I understand now, thank you.

As for low carb, there is absolutely no need to lose weight, but you do have to increase either fats or protein or both. There are plenty of slim folk on here maintaining a good slim weight. Personally I was overweight when diagnosed and on low carb I lost it all. My BMI dropped from 31 to 21. That was 4 years ago, and since then I have maintained my slim figure. I actually reduced my carbs even further, right down to 30g a day, and at the same time added a lot of extra fats, mainly from protein sources such as eggs and cheese. I also added extra mayo and butter, and admit to also adding a glass of red wine every evening. I really am not the only one to have done this, and plenty of members start out slim like you and manage not to lose. It is simply a matter of replacing the calories you lose from carbs with good fats and protein.

Maybe worth a try for you?

Thanks so much for your reply. Do you have any meal tips for keeping calories up? If I eat the same amount of calories such as extra protein instead of some of the carbs, would I get a lower reading do you think? I find it so confusing with the food side

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do you know what tests were done for possible T1? Recent research and my own experience shows that a proportion of slim 'T2s' are in fact T1 as a result of the body burning fat as insulin production is low. A c-peptide test helps indicate the level of insulin production. A negative GAD test for T1 can be inconclusive. Do ask the GP what tests were carried out.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, as Bluetit says - if you lower your carbs, to get enough energy you will need to up your healthy fat and protein. If you eat enough cheese, cream and nuts it's hard to be too skinny!

I would forget about calorie counting entirely, and go with what type of food you eat instead, as in the healthy fats and protein. Low-carb vege smoothies (with a little fruit if your body can take it) are a good way to ensure you are getting nutrients too, according to Joe Cross (who is not a diabetic but still kind of neat).

Jenniewoo

Thanks for your replies. I actually do eat a lot of cheese and nuts as it is maybe I just need to up the amount.

I think I have been tested twice, years apart for type 1. Not sure which test but both times I have been told I’m not. I also have no symptoms of diabetes yet, apart from the high sugar readings and high hba1c. Surely I’d have symptoms if I was type 1? Can you go so many years unaware?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies. I actually do eat a lot of cheese and nuts as it is maybe I just need to up the amount.

I think I have been tested twice, years apart for type 1. Not sure which test but both times I have been told I’m not. I also have no symptoms of diabetes yet, apart from the high sugar readings and high hba1c. Surely I’d have symptoms if I was type 1? Can you go so many years unaware?

From what you say, the majority of your readings are not high, and neither was your HbA1c. You can easily lower these.

You can't count the calories you lose through carbs and increase fats and protein by the same amount. It doesn't work like that. You have to use your glucose meter to guide you with your carb consumption, and your bathroom scales to guide you with your fats and protein, and a food diary to help you overall.. Carbs will raise levels (and fruit). Fats will not raise them at all. Protein is very unlikely to have much effect.

What about bacon, eggs, mushrooms (fried in butter) and a tomato for breakfast or lunch? Or a 3 egg omelette with cheese or mushrooms or whatever? Double cream in your coffee instead of milk is a great idea, very filling, and very tasty. Plenty of low carb veggies with your main meal - and a knob of butter on top? Oily fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel? Avocado is a good choice, too, and mayo or olive oil on your salads. There are plenty of choices. Just add things to your diet and keep weighing yourself, and keep recording it all in your food diary.

Jenniewoo

From what you say, the majority of your readings are not high, and neither was your HbA1c. You can easily lower these.

You can't count the calories you lose through carbs and increase fats and protein by the same amount. It doesn't work like that. You have to use your glucose meter to guide you with your carb consumption, and your bathroom scales to guide you with your fats and protein, and a food diary to help you overall.. Carbs will raise levels (and fruit). Fats will not raise them at all. Protein is very unlikely to have much effect.

What about bacon, eggs, mushrooms (fried in butter) and a tomato for breakfast or lunch? Or a 3 egg omelette with cheese or mushrooms or whatever? Double cream in your coffee instead of milk is a great idea, very filling, and very tasty. Plenty of low carb veggies with your main meal - and a knob of butter on top? Oily fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel? Avocado is a good choice, too, and mayo or olive oil on your salads. There are plenty of choices. Just add things to your diet and keep weighing yourself, and keep recording it all in your food diary.

Thankyou so much for your help I appreciate it

zx1289aq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started to get high blood sugars around age 22 which flagged up in a routine blood test. I went on to develop gestational diabetes a few years later and now have full blown diabetes.

The problem is I am very slim and not the typical type 2. If I loose the slightest bit of weight I will be underweight so I need to keep the weight on. I have just been tested for MODY and after waiting nearly a year for results due to mix ups and delays, this has come back negative! I was really hoping for an actual result but now back to square one

I am definitely not type 1. I have just started Repaglinide when I have a big meal as after testing my blood I only get occasional highs after bigger meals. I have been told to take this as my last hba1c was 50.

Has anyone got any advice or been through this same situation?
I have the same case with my young girl we adviced to give her metaformin 500 after eating..... It seems good for she... I think that is all what we can do

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.

I agree with others, you really need to request access to your lab results either online or in printed form. It's just guesswork otherwise.

If your BGs aren't very high then you are unlikely to be symptomatic. Symptoms emerge after being sufficiently high over many months, which is why blood testing is so important, to prevent those symptoms ever emerging.