What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I heard a report on TV last night about this epidemic being a Chinese-Russian conspiracy against the Western World. I don't know that I believe it.
I do remember something from 60-some years ago about China being a greater threat to life-as-we-know-it than Russia.
Hmm.
Bombs would have been a lot faster than all this sitting around huddled in our houses waiting to catch or not catch the virus.
And we don't even have storm cellars/bomb shelters in our backyards to hide from this scare.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wait ... isn't that an old Chinese curse? ;)
True. Just to add to my post, I'm not prepared to add risk to my children's worries by prolonging their exposure to the virus. Re the China rumour, the absurd othering that exemplifies leads to hoarding both at the local and national level. How long before countries say we won't sell you food our people need?

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
True. Just to add to my post, I'm not prepared to add risk to my children's worries by placing the burden of feeding us and prolonging their exposure to the virus. .
It is a dilemma. We are relying on No 2 son to get our shopping and he booked a click & collect with Tesco near him last week for April 7th. I am going to try my hardest to eke out our existing food till then BUT if Indo mynreserves will

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True. Just to add to my post, I'm not prepared to add risk to my children's worries by prolonging their exposure to the virus. Re the China rumour, the absurd othering that exemplifies leads to hording both at the local and national level. How long before countries say we won't sell you food our people need?

I saw that you had deleted that line from your post so I thought I should delete my post replying to that part of your post ... :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today on another community's website I saw a post asking for recommendations for a local lawyer to set up a trust fund.
A few days ago on the same site someone posted asking where he could buy ammo. I was shocked by that, and even more shocked when people actually took him seriously and replied with recommendations!
Then I did a quick Google and learned that he was probably anticipating the opening of turkey season and probably just wants a source of good clean food that has not been stripped off supermarket shelves and hoarded. Man just wants to feed his family, I guess -- after all, few people mount turkey heads on their walls. There is no rack to brag about.

Reactions: ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure what I did there but if the food is still missing and limited to 3 items by 7th April I will gave used up my reserves here and seriously in trouble. We are trying to eat less but it is q real problem. No 1 son tells me looking at the trading figures for rhe big 4 they are stocking and selling phenominal amounts of food yet we are all struggling at this early stage. I think we will end up with ration books because very soon vulnerable folk will be hungry and thats no way to fight a virus.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure what I did there but if the food is still missing and limited to 3 items by 7th April I will gave used up my reserves here and seriously in trouble. We are trying to eat less but it is q real problem. No 1 son tells me looking at the trading figures for rhe big 4 they are stocking and selling phenominal amounts of food yet we are all struggling at this early stage. I think we will end up with ration books because very soon vulnerable folk will be hungry and thats no way to fight a virus.

I think you are right about the ration books. I've been thinking the same thing.

Reactions: jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your post made the tears roll down my cheeks like pushing a button. Boo looks like he was a very fun friend to have!
I've said goodbye to my best friend Hidde last december and still tears as soon as someone mentions a dog passing away.
Hidde didn't do sticks but he was a very good sailor!

23561849_10213351476895745_1222910505403827877_n.jpg
Hidde does look like he really enjoyed being a sailor.

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting point re freezers.. @IanP
Be nice, but maybe not practical for many.
Be lovely if those who perhaps have to much for the next month have some thoughts to others that may be in need.

Not every one at risk in this crisis will be elderly or ill, we should all spare a thought, for how many others might struggle the longer this goes on.
Young lady neighbor, I have offered help, has two kids one has medical issues that cause breathing problems, she's a single mum, her mom, her main support has lupus, and he been confined to barracks.. Young lady, poilite and proud has refused the help so far she
can cope.
I will be keeping an eye out and keep offering that support, it may sadly be needed at some point.

The virus has been signposted for a good while, sadly many choice to ignore preferring the it's just flu, message
Which to my mind was allowed by many to flourish, and never robustly challenged enough by authorities.

But we are where we are.

I hope shops, simply stop deliveries.
Take stock of the worsening situation, and GO to a BASIC food package.

Seems to me those with enough money, and the technical skills are doing there own version of stockpiling and hoarding.
EDIT, reading back sound poor, i don't mean you, of course,
your are doing the best for your family undoubtedly as we all must,
but we all know many will, and that does seem unfair at the moment.

Many of the elderly WILL be in that less able bracket.

Surely enough food, but no more for all, would make good sense. Right Now

If we all take rationing this week and next.

The supermarkets can get the stock in required, streamline their stock control and ordering systems.. And hopefully address the online shopping panic.

Just my opinion.
Sure many will continue despite how much it impacts on others.

But whatever happens, this isn't going away anytime soon without some serious thoughts and actions taking place at high levels.

Nice to see many waking up
Still Too many seemingly in denial.

Many more new issues will present themselves, over the coming weeks and months .. But only by coming together as we do on here, and in all those local streets and communities, quickly springing up awake and aware of the dangers, , will we ALL get through this in as best shape as possible..

As always we look after each other on here,
Long may that continue.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting point re freezers.. @IanP
Be nice, but maybe not practical for many.
Be lovely if those who perhaps have to much for the next month have some thoughts to others that may be in need.

Not every one at risk in this crisis will be elderly or ill, we should all spare a thought, for how many others might struggle the longer this goes on.
Young lady neighbor, I have offered help, has two kids one has medical issues that cause breathing problems, she's a single mum, her mom, her main support has lupus, and he been confined to barracks.. Young lady, poilite and proud has refused the help so far she
can cope.
I will be keeping an eye out and keep offering that support, it may sadly be needed at some point.

The virus has been signposted for a good while, sadly many choice to ignore preferring the it's just flu, message
Which to my mind was allowed by many to flourish, and never robustly challenged enough by authorities.

But we are where we are.

I hope shops, simply stop deliveries.
Take stock of the worsening situation, and GO to a BASIC food package.

Seems to me those with enough money, and the technical skills are doing there own version of stockpiling and hoarding.
EDIT, reading back sound poor, i don't mean you, of course,
your are doing the best for your family undoubtedly as we all must,
but we all know many will, and that does seem unfair at the moment.

Many of the elderly WILL be in that less able bracket.

Surely enough food, but no more for all, would make good sense. Right Now

If we all take rationing this week and next.

The supermarkets can get the stock in required, streamline their stock control and ordering systems.. And hopefully address the online shopping panic.

Just my opinion.
Sure many will continue despite how much it impacts on others.

FreezersBut whatever happens, this isn't going away anytime soon without some serious thoughts and actions taking place at high levels.

Nice to see many waking up
Still Too many seemingly in denial.

Many more new issues will present themselves, over the coming weeks and months .. But only by coming together as we do on here, and in all those local streets and communities, quickly springing up awake and aware of the dangers, , will we ALL get through this in as best shape as possible..

As always we look after each other on here,
Long may that continue.
Freezers. Disappearing online between putting in basket and going to checkout. Seems people have decided not to trust this idea of only buy what you need and remember the vulnerable and crucial. On another note, Lupus is a horrible illness which my mum battled. Hug for your neighbour's mum. Interestingly, the anti-malarial Trump was talking about is used in the management of Lupus.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Freezers. Disappearing online between putting in basket and going to checkout. Seems people have decided not to trust this idea of only buy what you need and remember the vulnerable and crucial. On another note, Lupus is a horrible illness which my mum battled. Hug for your neighbour's mum. Interestingly, the anti-malarial Trump was talking about is used in the management of Lupus.
really ?..not surprised i suppose.

had seen that, though Fauci did row trump back in and say he was more cautious.

Lets hope there is use for that in limiting this virus in someway.
I'll tell the neighbour, sure if mums already on it, that might alleviate some of the worry.

Thanks for the reply.
most useful.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got to ask @gennepher what's Connie Onnie? If you made fudge with it could it be condensed milk perhaps? Google failed me this time.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How was your outing? Did you get everything you wanted?
Mine was partly successful but no paracetemol and friend running out still needs a pack every two days. Boots had marked the floor at metre intervals. One in the queue called out to the pharmacist “dont know why you are doing this, if we are going to get it anyway. Pharmacist had to come out and say that it was one of the most dangerous places to congregate, next week it will one entering the shop at a time and if he (the pharmacist) gets it they will probably have to close since it is a tiny branch and we will have to go to a bigger branch in the next town. Most in the queue only wanted paracetemol which they didnt have and this queueing is just going to carry on until it becomes available. This is a real problem in my area anyway.
Hi @PenguinMum
I got everything I needed.
Thank you.
I will send you a message in a few minutes.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak agree completely with your sentiments. However this current way of managing food and medicines isnt working so far as I can see. How many consecutive days can I put myself at risk to queue for a packet of paracetemol at Boots? I am fearing our monthly prescription drugs (9 for Mr PM and 4 for me) may not continue to be available. AND when we get further into this towards the peak I am going to have to put myself in harms way to pick them up even though I want and need to lockdown.
The Govt always seems to me to be several steps behind on everything. The cant keep saying there is enough food to go round and then not take control and stop relying on the public to self police. It is NOT working. We need ration lists and meds posted to us NOW. I cant believe I was asked to use the same pen at Boots this morningbto sign for a prescription. This just SHOUDNT be happening. I want to be responsible and considerate of everyone else but things like this MUST change.
PS. Relatives in Ireland are going to post me patacetemol so that will be a big help.
Sorry for rant. Are others not having the same experience as me??

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have at last caught up with posts. Fbs 5.3 this morning. Lovely sunny but absolutely freezing early morning doggie walk.

Then off to pick up my subscribe and save order from Holland and Barrett. Everyone this morning was doing the correct social distancing in our little Market Town. Was armed with my Dettol anti viral wipes.

Had a lovely walk around our local Fen in the Sunshine this afternoon. Was great to be able to chat to other dog walkers, especially as everyone kept at a safe distance.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was asked to use the same pen at Boots this morningbto sign for a prescription. This just SHOUDNT be happening.
I agree - had to sign for my order at Holland and Barrett. No idea if the pen had been sanitised. So I carefully cleaned it with my Dettol wipes, signed for my parcel and cleaned it again before putting it back. I then cleaned the card machine keypad before and after using it.