What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be ashamed of yourself @PenguinMum
Sometimes you have to be wise to the situation and everything around it.
I agree it was bad, very bad, but you do not want to start a volatile situation when there are others around you who are also waiting in that surreal situation.
Be kind to yourself.
Hugs x
Thanks gennepher hugs gladly accepted, back at you. I think when I sleep I will feel restored.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have some more distraction for you with a happy and non virus related story, with lots of pictures, as some of you have mentioned liking pictures :)
Take a seat, pour a drink, it's a long story with asides and stuff. Don't read when you don't like pets, in that case it will be a very boring story.

To stay on topic, my fbg today was 5.3, very nice to wake up on something below 6.5 for a change!

Let me first introduce you to Efraïm and Vlieg, as the story starts with them. They were found in a freezing field by the roadside in early december by a friend of mine, 10 or 12 weeks old.
While I didn't need more cats (I already had two), I knew I would need the distraction shortly, as I'd just decided it was about time for my old dog to go, and I'd made an appointment with the vet for a week later.
And besides, those two needed a home, so why not with me?

79765333_10219269381959673_8786603468061147136_o.jpg

They turned out to be very bold, brave, social and cuddly kittens, sleeping fearlessly in my bed with the dogs end exploring the world!

86356267_10219814478386743_6946441699505733632_o.jpg

Now it was time to have them neutered, both to prevent more kittens like them being born and to make them safer when they would start venturing out of the garden; a tomcat smelling a pretty female is much more likely to meet a car the wrong way.

I decided to have it done in the guinea-pig shelter where I've adopted guinea-pigs in the past, as they do it very cheap. I didn't have guinea-pigs anymore, and I didn't want them anymore after last years tragedy involving 8 guinea-pigs and a big foster dog who lived with me for six months. Naimah is a sweety but she liked guinea-pigs a little too much and the pen was built to withstand my own chihuahua-like little monsters, not a 30 kilo giant! Naimah has now found her forever home in a perfect place without guinea-pigs :)

56742483_10217311812381657_7231094977785233408_o.jpg

On the spur of the moment we decided I would take my neighbour's lonely (his friend had died at the start of winter) guinea-pig as well to either have neutered or else leave at the shelter to be adopted with friends. Our plan wasn't very clear because it was 7am, so pretty much middle of the night for me.

At the shelter I offered to volunteer with the piggies for the day because I had to wait six hours before I could take my kittens home anyway, and it didn't really make sense to spend my money killing time because of saving money by driving a long way to get them neutered.

Anyway, the end of the story is predictable:

90615795_10220192124147651_7451321186824224768_o.jpg

I spent more money on the neutering of the neighbour's male piggy and the buying of 9 (or more, there are 2 that might be pregnant) than I would have if I had had my local vet do the neutering :D

They now live with the bunnies Owie and Suus, named because I somehow ended up with two young German women in my car when I picked them up. The girls kept squeeking "Oh, wie Süss!" ('Oh, how sweet') so I decided to simply name them that because they were already used to those names by the time we came back from the A&E where one of the girls had to have her foot stitched.
It was too hot to leave them in the car so we sat in the A&E waiting room with the bunnies in a cardboard box, every employee, doctor, nurse or security, whispering to us to not let anyone else see them because it wasn't allowed :hilarious:

67272413_10218108422176404_594379879848345600_o.jpg

The new guinea-pigs are slowly settling in now they've been here for a week. The're still scared of me, they haven't had human contact apart from being fed before getting to the shelter, but they're perfectly at ease with Owie and Suus, who have grown out to very handsome rabbits.
In 3 weeks my neighbour's neutered male piggy can join his gang of ladies and they can start exploring the big outside pen too by then :)

90511038_10220192124747666_4770752992682967040_o.jpg

90536859_10220192123947646_6527516911645753344_o.jpg

90630902_10220192111627338_4465062118479101952_o.jpg

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks and to @DJC3 @SaskiaKC and @gennepher. it was surreal and he was standing right next to the sink at the time. I really should have told him, bad on me, I am ashamed. I am not going to have fisty cuffs in the supermarket, not planning to go there, but health “ professional” doing that I need to up my game. I have needed distraction of videos of son’s 8 week old new kitten and tonight’s Turkey & Sprout dinner!
You have absolutely no reason to feel ashamed. It is the pharmacist who should feel ashamed by his behaviour - but unfortunately probably doesn't.

Hope you enjoyed the kitten videos and your Turkey and sprout dinner.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some more distraction for you with a happy and non virus related story, with lots of pictures, as some of you have mentioned liking pictures :)
Take a seat, pour a drink, it's a long story with asides and stuff. Don't read when you don't like pets, in that case it will be a very boring story.

To stay on topic, my fbg today was 5.3, very nice to wake up on something below 6.5 for a change!

Let me first introduce you to Efraïm and Vlieg, as the story starts with them. They were found in a freezing field by the roadside in early december by a friend of mine, 10 or 12 weeks old.
While I didn't need more cats (I already had two), I knew I would need the distraction shortly, as I'd just decided it was about time for my old dog to go, and I'd made an appointment with the vet for a week later.
And besides, those two needed a home, so why not with me?

79765333_10219269381959673_8786603468061147136_o.jpg

They turned out to be very bold, brave, social and cuddly kittens, sleeping fearlessly in my bed with the dogs end exploring the world!

86356267_10219814478386743_6946441699505733632_o.jpg

Now it was time to have them neutered, both to prevent more kittens like them being born and to make them safer when they would start venturing out of the garden; a tomcat smelling a pretty female is much more likely to meet a car the wrong way.

I decided to have it done in the guinea-pig shelter where I've adopted guinea-pigs in the past, as they do it very cheap. I didn't have guinea-pigs anymore, and I didn't want them anymore after last years tragedy involving 8 guinea-pigs and a big foster dog who lived with me for six months. Naimah is a sweety but she liked guinea-pigs a little too much and the pen was built to withstand my own chihuahua-like little monsters, not a 30 kilo giant! Naimah has now found her forever home in a perfect place without guinea-pigs :)

56742483_10217311812381657_7231094977785233408_o.jpg

On the spur of the moment we decided I would take my neighbour's lonely (his friend had died at the start of winter) guinea-pig as well to either have neutered or else leave at the shelter to be adopted with friends. Our plan wasn't very clear because it was 7am, so pretty much middle of the night for me.

At the shelter I offered to volunteer with the piggies for the day because I had to wait six hours before I could take my kittens home anyway, and it didn't really make sense to spend my money killing time because of saving money by driving a long way to get them neutered.

Anyway, the end of the story is predictable:

90615795_10220192124147651_7451321186824224768_o.jpg

I spent more money on the neutering of the neighbour's male piggy and the buying of 9 (or more, there are 2 that might be pregnant) than I would have if I had had my local vet do the neutering :D

They now live with the bunnies Owie and Suus, named because I somehow ended up with two young German women in my car when I picked them up. The girls kept squeeking "Oh, wie Süss!" ('Oh, how sweet') so I decided to simply name them that because they were already used to those names by the time we came back from the A&E where one of the girls had to have her foot stitched.
It was too hot to leave them in the car so we sat in the A&E waiting room with the bunnies in a cardboard box, every employee, doctor, nurse or security, whispering to us to not let anyone else see them because it wasn't allowed :hilarious:

67272413_10218108422176404_594379879848345600_o.jpg

The new guinea-pigs are slowly settling in now they've been here for a week. The're still scared of me, they haven't had human contact apart from being fed before getting to the shelter, but they're perfectly at ease with Owie and Suus, who have grown out to very handsome rabbits.
In 3 weeks my neighbour's neutered male piggy can join his gang of ladies and they can start exploring the big outside pen too by then :)

90511038_10220192124747666_4770752992682967040_o.jpg

90536859_10220192123947646_6527516911645753344_o.jpg

90630902_10220192111627338_4465062118479101952_o.jpg
I loved your story. We had rabbits and guinea pigs when our children were young and seeing your photos reminded me of that time.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 this morning with a temp of 35.6, and the sun is certainly helping to cheer up the day.

A lot going happening on the thread, far more than my social inadequacy can handle but a couple of points held my attention. The covid-19 virus is a 'large' molecule which is why it's generally accepted that it's not airborne. Sneeze and cough testing have shown that droplets (under pressure) can travel up to 20 feet but I couldn't find any (searched over 100 papers) evidence of cigarette smoke actually transporting a large molecule. However, I did find repeated evidence that smokers were more at risk of being carriers for any virus (+24/30%), some research intimated that vapers were likely to be in the same group. The results of second-hand smoke inhalation and transmission all appeared to be relatively close range and not at a distance. The below link probably summed it up the easiest.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/coronavirus-can-become-aerosol-doesnt-mean-doomed/
Thanks very much for the research and posting the link, brilliant detaective work and very interesting.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks very much for the research and posting the link, brilliant detaective work and very interesting.

I have to admit to not doing too much detective work. I still have friends in the business and they keep sending me this stuff. I just post whatever is relevant to the questions asked ;)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks and to @DJC3 @SaskiaKC and @gennepher. it was surreal and he was standing right next to the sink at the time. I really should have told him, bad on me, I am ashamed. I am not going to have fisty cuffs in the supermarket, not planning to go there, but health “ professional” doing that I need to up my game. I have needed distraction of videos of son’s 8 week old new kitten and tonight’s Turkey & Sprout dinner!

Please don't be too hard on yourself. :)
There used to be a really obnoxious chief pharmacist at my pharmacy. If any of us had spoken to him about a breach of safe practice such as the Boots pharmacist in Hastings, it would have done no good and probably done us some emotional harm.

But I would have wanted to speak up anyway! ;) And then regretted doing so.
Hug.

Now, about this 8wo new grandkitten of yours ... ???
^. .^

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my favorite horse book the characters from Winchelsea and Rye visit a Boots in Hastings to have some dye remover made up so they can solve the mystery of the stolen racehorse. The fictional predecessor of the present pharmacist was a much nicer guy.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All
Well I found myself in a hospital and a pharmacy today a very long way from home. Friend woke up with badly oozing wound so after a few phone calls and packing a food bag we set off for the 4 hour round trip. As suspected slight infection and antibiotics prescribed along with stash of paracetemol and codeine. Then I was dropped in the middle of Hastings to go to Boots where I waited 20 mins for meds. They were policing the door and only allowing a few people in at a time and it was a big shop. Clutching my Dettox wipes I watched as the pharmacist blew his nose into a tissue binned it and made no effort to wash or sanitise his hands, carried on dispensing meds. Maybe I should have said something but he was a very unfriendly fella. While I was paying contactless he pushed the hand sanitiser on the counter but it was too late for me. Back home and all exhausted. Cooking turkey crown and sprouts for later. Need prayers, we are back there in a week.

OMG..how gross.

we need to video such actions and post on line and get these people policed or shut down.

how is this in anyway acceptable, during a world wide health care emergency
come in and get sick because i am happy to spread this EVERYWHERE..

shut down and shut down NOW..sure the next ones to open up..(think they wont) will do so with a much better mind set, while dic -khead will be sat at home helpless, like so many of us.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK I am 28 minutes past yesterday but here is yesterday's art. COlour Pencil a tad larger than A4 20 minutes.
Inspired by @OldButBold photograph and his wonderful description of lost souls. This is a study for some paintings I will do based on the photograph, probably in oils or acrylic. I have included the photo as a thumbnail.

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

Reactions: DJC3

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For every bad there is lots of good. My daughter and SIL are teachers, not on the front line such as NHS staff, but have to continue working even through the school holidays and some weekends. Their landlord came and saw them and reduced their rent by 50% for 6 months, with no payback later, because she knows they will be at some risk and wanted to show respect.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my day.

torpedoed by a local neighbour ..(runs a pharmacy) mentioned about masks etc.

i made contact ..explained i felt guilty BUT if Lauren got sick what mask (and how much )
would i need...
simple answer was if she gets sick, advice is to relocate until she gets better...:wideyed:

so not happening..how could i leave when she needs me most.

so on to masks etc..
i buy some and she says she may have next level up, just in case.
Now laurel is deemed essential worker, Not sure myself but by definition, yes
so she SHOULD be self isolating because of me...but she can't.

so we have now decided we are in this together, come what may.

so tomorrow i drive her to work and collect her, so she doesn't have to use public transport, which may infect her and by dint put me in the direct line of sight of some poor doctor or nurse..not happening if i can help it.!

i want us all to be safe, and can see no other way.

but on a nice note.

our street, has the family next door, doing a sing song each evening..a concert it is not, but it is a lovely gesture,
Lauren not too sure, but i go each night to show support, and i quite like it.

IMG_20200322_181112~01.jpg

IMG_20200322_180730~01.jpg

tonight was a variety of songs, one request a Liverpool fan was walk alone....OMG :wideyed:

had not considered how emotional that could be at this moment in time..could feel the vibe from everyone..

lovely , lovely evening

one lady had posted up some interviews from doctors circling the web
turns out other lady in street is NHS of some sort...supports fully the doctors experience of hospital life in this epidemic

heart breaking post back from her.

Screenshot_2020-03-23-00-37-39-065_com.whatsapp~01~01~01.jpg

me and Lauren had dinner together a nice evening, but the news as we all know is sombre.

a new weeks dawns, and we are thinking another month or so of this SD ..if not SI

and ALL we have to do, ..for them, ...( not only CAN we, but we MUST do this.)
..because we get a CHOICE to sit in a comfy sofa and that helps us save lives...maybe our own.

and the doctors and nurses to save lives.. DON'T get THAT choice, yet they go in, day after day,
and BEG us to just stay HOME.,...

humbled, utterly humbled that people, i don't know could be so accepting of the fact that they might be sacrificing so much for me / you / us..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-23-00-37-39-065_com.whatsapp~01.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-03-23-00-37-39-065_com.whatsapp~01.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_2020-03-23-00-37-39-065_com.whatsapp~01~01.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-03-23-00-37-39-065_com.whatsapp~01~01.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New my day.

torpedoed by a local neighbour ..(runs a pharmacy) mentioned about masks etc.

i made contact ..explained i felt guilty BUT if Lauren got sick what mask (and how much )
would i need...
simple answer was if she gets sick, advice is to relocate until she gets better...:wideyed:

so not happening..how could i leave when she needs me most.

so onto masks etc..
i buy some and she says she may have next level up, just in case.
Now laurel is deemed essential worker, Not sure myself but by definition, yes
so she SHOULD be self isolating because of me...but she can't.

so we have now decided we are in this together, come what may.

so tomorrow i drive her to work and collect so she doesn't have to use public transport, which may infect her and by din't put me in the direct line of sight of some poor doctor or nurse

i want us all to be safe, and can see no other way.
Hard times my friend, take care.

On the positive side enjoy that music sounds like a supportive community you have in your street.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hard times my friend, take care.

On the positive side enjoy that music sounds like a supportive community you have in your street.
yes it is as i am finding out each day.

The songs are getting better, the family are lovely for making such effort, the least we can do is congregate as per govt instructions. more come out each day, may be an issue at some point, but i do check my 6 at all times and move as others get close.

we are blessed, as will others be. once we all come to this point, sadly.

a slight side note, the lady NHS.has hit me..
the video of the Medic crying because of no food left on shelves...hit me too

i have suggested to our group, that when we shop, we all buy ONE item extra for the NHS in our locality.
sure many may not need it, but as this crisis bites, they do and will suffer the most...less time, more stress, poor food choice

be nice if we could all chip in a bit to add to their shopping
and if given to a NHS worker, but not needed by them it could then go to the team at the local hospital to distribute as they see fit to those team members going without, due to the selfless acts of theirs and the selfish actions of others.

i see it as a giant harvest festival for NHS staff..Sod the chocolates,, lets give them the option of a choice of foods. while
they work saving lives, while we sit at home

the least they deserve and we can offer, is that they get to EAT proper decent food at the end of shift, after they have slaved away working to save US & our families.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)