What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.7 for me had a lovely day yesterday for my birthday,have a great day everyone
upload_2021-9-9_6-40-8.gif

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back home.
Out very early cos hospital appointment.
And I needed to find that elusive parking spot.
Too hot for hospitals.
Too hot for driving.
I stayed in the inner lane with a 65mph. The outer lane was...well for the 90 plus mph.
Long distance.
I got the very last parking spot by the entrance at 7:15 am in the morning. After me, others were driving round and round like BA flies...
My last cuppa had been at midnight, so hopefully I wouldn't need those elusive toilet facilities.
It was beautifully misty first thing, all pinks and peaches and the industrial buildings looked like the most magnificent otherworldly fairyland.

I was shocked when I went through this hospital entrance. Totally unlike the other hospital I went to recently nearer to me, where the dragon receptionist insisted I had to wear the nhs blue mask despite me being unable to wear it because of the magnet on my head, and a long discussion/argument had ensued. And finally I had said well I am exempt anyway, so I am not wearing any mask, and took mine off.

Last time I was at this hospital (and the times before in Covid), there was a receptionist, loads sanitizers, and spare masks all at the entrance. This time...no receptionist, the sanitizers at the entrance halved, and no spare masks for you. In fact there were a lot of patients/customers not wearing masks, and some came in expecting to find masks provided, so when they found there was none, they just pulled their t shirt or jumper up over their noses.

Notices all along the corridors (of which there was miles and miles, more than I have ever seen in my life), saying use the hand sanitizers dotted round the hospital. But there was not one hand sanitizer in any of the corridors, nor outside any of the wards or facilities that led through automatic doors, which were not now automatic (they were the last time I went), you had to push these awkward heavy doors now. And notices advising you replace your surgical masks regularly during the day. It implied there were 'stations' where you could pick one up, but they were in absence as well.

My department, Shooting Star Unit, is at the furthermost end of the hospital from the entrance, and each time I get lost. It looks simple on a simple map, but navigating miles of corridors and choosing which doors to take off the main corridor (which don't appear evident to me on the map), it is like a convoluted maze.

I was about to give up, mentally and physically, when someone opened a door beside me, and I thought I recognised that corridor. Moments later I was there at reception desk. The receptionist recognised me, and just motioned me to the side waiting room. The team I had last time was supposed to be the same, but it was replaced by another team and my appointment was a wee bit later now. But it didn't matter, laughing, joking, banter, and I had to say I couldn't lipread through the masks, They took their masks down, so from that point on I was totally involved and understanding of their jokes and banter, even their more personal jokes with each other, which they included me in.They were a really empathic group of nursing staff. And when everything was done, one of the nurses who had been interjecting with questions throughout, wrote down her personal nhs email number and told me to email any time and we could chat.

I would like to say I walked out on cloud 9, well I did, but I still had to walk all those slow steps back to the entrance where my car was.

I go to get in my car, and hit my head hard on the sun visor which had been down because of the blinding sun...ouch.

I was drop dead exhausted and drove the shortest distance possible, and got into bed and slept for 4 soilid hours.Just woke up.

Why didn't you get your mobility scooter out of the car, I can hear you saying. The answer is I was absolutely dying for a long wee when I got out of the car.It was not possible to lift anything.

Going back to sleep now, temp was 30C here earlier. Breathing is impossible, so hot and airless and still. And that stupid AH neighbour is with a woman (his wife?) and they have a bonfire going in their back garden, right next to me, and I have smoke all through my house. I checked online and apparently in hours of daylight you can have a bonfire, but not if it is causing danger. The day is far too hot, it's irresponsible to have a bonfire today as far as I am concerned, so while I was on the site, I reported it. He does back on to a lot of ancient woodlend.

My eyes are closing again...I need an iced drink, the ice maker has been churning away....
No painting/photograph today unless I come to before midnight...
A long and hot day, no wonder you needed sleep.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a rather damp start here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of Bratwurst sausages and all things pickled came home at 5.6 this am

Funny old day yesterday; Mrs Miggins’ car in for a new set of brake pads and also discs on rear wheel - goodbye dosh, farewell my friends, parting is such sweet sorrow. Visit to GP practice and issued with a course of antibiotics for rogue ear infection and then informed that there is a delay receiving flue jabs so our planned roll out has slid by a week - looks like the remaining sessions will be rather busy - 7 Gom Jabbars on the day instead of the usual 4. Just found out that the oldest person in the world is still alive - every day a school day :angelic:.

The geese are up and about practicing their formations before flying off on holiday but the magpies are still lurking, here is one squawking on a tree. Have a wonderful day if you can. Time for a koffy.

upload_2021-9-9_7-36-26.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
7.40am. FBG 5.8
Am actually hungry this morning...Some virus sent me to bed for the best part of two days. Still feel a bit weak and shaky on my legs. Good news! NOT covid.
@ianpspurs and @dunelm am so jealous of your Apple trees, we had on arrival 24 Apple trees, 2 pear, 2 walnut and an enormous cherry tree. Turned out none of the fruit was fit to eat. We were instructed to cut down one pear, apparently too close to the fosse septique. I spent weeks testing all.of the different apples, hoping to find some good for cooking at least. But only three trees were barely passable. All lacking in flavour. Over the years some have fallen to nature, some have been deliberately removed. The trees have been neglected, are pest ridden and not even fit for cider. You can imagine the burden of collecting windfalls by wheelbarrowful(s) every day and taking to tip. Which is only open limited hours three times a week.
Of course it is easier to let them lie, MrSlim will happily chop them up with the mower giving every wasp, hornet or fruit fly easy access to the bounty. Making the outside space unusable. Also leads to further fruit fly infestations next year, which is why i dont want them dumped in our field. MrSlim still does not agree with me on this, but with far fewer Apple trees I can probably manage it myself. Once I am properly better.
@karen8967 belated Happy Birthday.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
7.40am. FBG 5.8
Am actually hungry this morning...Some virus sent me to bed for the best part of two days. Still feel a bit weak and shaky on my legs. Good news! NOT covid.
@ianpspurs and @dunelm am so jealous of your Apple trees, we had on arrival 24 Apple trees, 2 pear, 2 walnut and an enormous cherry tree. Turned out none of the fruit was fit to eat. We were instructed to cut down one pear, apparently too close to the fosse septique. I spent weeks testing all.of the different apples, hoping to find some good for cooking at least. But only three trees were barely passable. All lacking in flavour. Over the years some have fallen to nature, some have been deliberately removed. You can if you can imagine the burden of collecting windfalls by wheelbarrowful(s) every day and taking to tip. Which is only open limited hours three times a week.
Of course it is easier to let them lie, MrSlim will happily chop them up with the mower giving every wasp, hornet or fruit fly easy access to the bounty. Making the outside space unusable. Also leads to further fruit fly infestations next year, which is why i dont want them dumped in our field. MrSlim still does not agree with me on this, but with far fewer Apple trees I can probably manage it myself. Once I am properly better.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Thanks SlimLizzy x

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good morning everyone on what promises to be another day of sun and canned heat here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of a group of mainly red things and a dollop of harissa came in at 5.2 this am

A fine time on the beach yesterday. The tide was way out when we got there at about 1130 - a bright sunny day and hardly anyone about - smashing. Bit of art going on in Norwich at present, might be worth a visit if you are down that way; https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/new...y-spotted-in-norwich-sainsbury-centre-8303200. Things are beginning to move - garden stuff at present - in readiness to us moving at some point. We have been given the use of a shipping container where our daughter works, with unfettered access to it during working hours. Mrs Miggins is well excited. Local bully boy, Mr Robbin, has made an appearance and is hopping about inspecting his territory. There may be trouble ahead.

Art bit - another tree of course. Hope that everyone has a wonderful experience of International Bin Day - two parades today, one for the recycling bin and one for the garden bin - the excitement may cause some folk to swoon in this heatwave. Anyhow, time for a koffy.

View attachment 51070
Good morning everyone from a rather damp start here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of Bratwurst sausages and all things pickled came home at 5.6 this am

Funny old day yesterday; Mrs Miggins’ car in for a new set of brake pads and also discs on rear wheel - goodbye dosh, farewell my friends, parting is such sweet sorrow. Visit to GP practice and issued with a course of antibiotics for rogue ear infection and then informed that there is a delay receiving flue jabs so our planned roll out has slid by a week - looks like the remaining sessions will be rather busy - 7 Gom Jabbars on the day instead of the usual 4. Just found out that the oldest person in the world is still alive - every day a school day :angelic:.

The geese are up and about practicing their formations before flying off on holiday but the magpies are still lurking, here is one squawking on a tree. Have a wonderful day if you can. Time for a koffy.

View attachment 51085
Both paintings are amazing trees @dunelm

Great birds too.

Hugs for the ear infection.
Take care.
Have a good day

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How was your hospital visit @lindisfel ?
I hope it went well.
I hope the toilet facilities you needed were available when you needed them...

What air con?

On my way home from my hospital visit (no air con there), I stopped at a Lidl to get a couple of things. It was meant to be a lightning shop, but when I walked in...oh the air conditioning. I have never experienced such magnificent air con before. It was bliss.Fortunately I had my Walker with me, and it has a seat on it, so I sat down to study what I wanted to buy...
Excellent find - free air con. Reminds me of visiting a sister and family in Texas - oh the heat, oh the air con.

lindisfel

Expert
How was your hospital visit @lindisfel ?
I hope it went well.
I hope the toilet facilities you needed were available when you needed them...

What air con?

On my way home from my hospital visit (no air con there), I stopped at a Lidl to get a couple of things. It was meant to be a lightning shop, but when I walked in...oh the air conditioning. I have never experienced such magnificent air con before. It was bliss.Fortunately I had my Walker with me, and it has a seat on it, so I sat down to study what I wanted to buy...

Thanks Gennepher,
It was ok.
Hope things for you are improving, it's been difficult for you of late.

The toilets were open at Haydon bridge and the road was not too bad going east, we took about two and quarter hours to do the 80 miles. 160 in a day is a bit much for me now, certainly after almost two years of just local travel.
It was hard walking around in the heat near the Freeman hospital in up to 29 degree heat. Downside is I have to go back in three months to see if the battery needs changing then.
There are major road works at Hexham junction and coming west a long build up of traffic so we took the old military road from near Heddon, that goes along the Roman wall to miss this coming back. Then we cut across back roads after Hexham to be sure of the toilet at Haydon bridge the ones at tourist centres on the wall are packed.
It was a relative clear run back to Carlisle after Haydon and going through all the lights were green and we were through down the A595 back home by just after 1700 .
Still quite hot around here into the evening.

.......So I am having a long lay in this am, with cloudy skies here for a change.
We need the rain, if it comes the gardens dying from drought.
Have a great day Gennepher and all.
D.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Belated happy birthday @karen8967 and wonderful to hear you had a lovely day. Me no Swipey right now bandwidth occupied by useful stuff. I was 4.9 on Stabbington this day in 2015 and still thought "this WOE is alright" :banghead:. Moving on. Hug for the loss of £s @dunelm - was violence needed? I'm sure a canny accountant can write that up as tax deductible or even claim a refund. Hug for the rogue ear infection, winner for the Magpie in the tree. @SlimLizzy hug for the illness and fruit tree issue. Apple wood has an amazingly wonderful smell when burned. couldn't the trees be felled, logged and used that way? Another fantastic piece of artwork @gennepher and Lidl sounds like a real pleasure. Baby OP now out of hospital, feeding as per but will have a cough for a few months. Seems this virus does that to all lucky prize winners. Nanny London staying put until she eats and drinks like a good gel. Good for Drs and nurses to be ambitious but a sense of realism helps. Dear friends, won't you join me in a large mug of Assam in remembrance of Charles Fuge Lowder?

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who missed the summer solstice.

Today a 7.2 on that scheming meter of deception and confusion, still a below 10 level so good for me and me's.

Interesting mix of posts today on this post national bin day and an interesting fact posted, without a stamp bye @dunelm is that the oldest person in the world is still alive, just goes to show that new things can be learnt.

Now me and me's must depart koffy in hand to the room of disharmony and practice the chorus to Hotel California, it is very possible to mix up the white and off white keys and pitch it an octave out.

Have a great day, stay safe and bring a smile to a strangers face.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.40am. FBG 5.8
@ianpspurs and @dunelm am so jealous of your Apple trees, we had on arrival 24 Apple trees, 2 pear, 2 walnut and an enormous cherry tree. Turned out none of the fruit was fit to eat. We were instructed to cut down one pear, apparently too close to the fosse septique. I spent weeks testing all.of the different apples, hoping to find some good for cooking at least. But only three trees were barely passable. All lacking in flavour. Over the years some have fallen to nature, some have been deliberately removed. The trees have been neglected, are pest ridden and not even fit for cider. You can imagine the burden of collecting windfalls by wheelbarrowful(s) every day and taking to tip. Which is only open limited hours three times a week.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Oh dear, those fruit trees - if they are not of use then perhaps try gradually pruning them back each winter over a couple of years (they will be useful for wild life), then plant a new orchard on dwarfing rootstock so that they fruit quicker. You could of course try taking cuttings and trying to revive them - might be someone local who can do some grafts for you. If you fancy it, RHS has some good advice about this subject: https://www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/apples/renovating-old-trees

Reactions: alf_Josiah

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Belated happy birthday @karen8967 and wonderful to hear you had a lovely day. Me no Swipey right now bandwidth occupied by useful staff. I was 4.9 on Stabbington this day in 2015 and still thought this WOE is alright. Moving on. Hug for the loss of £s @dunelm - was violence needed? I'm sure a canny accountant can write that up as tax deductable or even a refund. Hug for the rogue ear infection, winner for the Magpie in the tree. @SlimLizzy hug for the illness and fruit tree issue. Apple wood has an amazingly wonderful smell when burned. couldn't the trees be felled, logged and used that way? Another fantastic piece of artwork @gennepher and Lidl sounds like a real pleasure. Baby OP now out of hospital, feeding as per but will have a cough for a few months. Seems this virus does that to all lucky prize winners. Nanny London staying put until she eats and drinks like a good gel. Good for Drs and nurses to be ambitious but a sense of realism helps. Dear friends, won't you join me in a large mug of Assam?
Good news with Baby OP and hope that Nanny London steps away from the naughty chair. Enjoy the Assam.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning.

Got an urgent call from one of my teachers because she was at a wedding on Sunday and sat on a table with someone who tested positive. As she won't get PCR results in time - I will need to cancel her classes tomorrow. She tried and tried to get a walk in PCR but the system wouldn't allow her to.

Last edited: