What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to Saturday which appears to be the first this week, who knew? At 66 I have no need of all the time waking around 4.30 affords one and especially not in the mist, cold and dark of October. Upside is the new Swipey gave a 4.5. Downside was I uttered a very, very bad profanity at seeing 11S 10Lbs/74.4 kgs. Yes, I'm around 6 foot tall but I have no need of all that heft being old, wizened (not actually, just feel it internally), play no contact sport and having a piddling plot of land to tend. Other than that life's wonderful.:angelic: Whisky sounds good @dunelm, art looks great - thanks. Enjoy the farmer's market - socially distanced obs- and GIB time. @gennepher hug for the literal *hitshow yesterday, take it easy today and I pray your daily creative work brings calmness and joy. Julie and MIL are off to Wales today for a week of visiting relatives, places holding precious memories and a helicopter flight. Baring in mind her recent illnesses, increasing frailty (our 3 yo granddaughter blurted that out recently, gotta love children's honesty) methinks that is batpoo crazy for MIL. Valedictory tour would make sense but MIL has booked for another go next May:bigtears: Enjoy your day, wisely, securely and as happily as these mad times will allow.
Thanks @ianpspurs
MIL is a legend methinks...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ianpspurs
MIL is a legend methinks...
Other descriptions are available but sure is a tough 'un and as kindhearted as they come. Nightmare for Julie to deal with over safety or what Drs actually say is/was wrong. She has a panic alarm but didn't want to bother anyone when sepsis was rampant. Builder couldn't get in so alerted Julie. Ambulance blue lighted her pronto:arghh:

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and all who overslept again.

A straight clean 5.0 this morning on that grrrr meter.

Well fellow posters, painters and gamers my day is wrecked, it’s strange how oversleeping by 2 hours throws your day, but I do feel better for the extra sleep, perhaps I’ll do it more often.
Stay well, stay safe.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
8.20am FBG 5.6
Off to the shops, had to be quick as also needed to go to the tip with two weeks worth of windfall apples. Bit of a squeeze to get all the bags in the boot.emptied one bag and then was approa he'd by a French couple who wanted the rest! I did point out that the quality was poor, but they were going to sort them for juicing. I have always been uncomfortable about the waste, so am hoping they will take me up on the offer for all the rest. Maybe even come and pick them. I was invited to watch them making the juice this afternoon and stupidly refused, because we are having visitors tomorrow and am in panic tidy mode.
Now it feels as if I missed an opportunity.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to go to the shops earlier.
I hadn't intended going out this morning.
But Popeye is not eating, not eaten for two days.
I know the end will come one day.

I went to the nearest place early, 8 am, to buy some bits and pieces of sliced meats which he might have eaten a bit of.

I can only try.

Prices have gone up something shocking.
I got odds and ends of different sliced meats, and found expensive cat food...
There was some hot cooked chicken. No price on them, but I thought it would be a treat for me as well. They are extra large birds the meat cooker said, that why they are £3 more...
Blinking heck (substitute different words of your choice for this), any smaller and they would have been the size of a quail...
So, I went to look for some tinned vegetables, but instead of tins they are in what now appear to be tetrapacks or some kind of cardboard. The expiry date was not very long, end of this year not a few years away as the tins are. Also I have visiting mice in winter who like to take a little nibble out of anything not glass or tins. Absolutely useless for me.
Finally, I saw some stuff in the salad bar, so got a container which called itself large, but I call it small, filled it with some salad stuff as a treat to go with the chicken. But the lid wouldn't click close. It wasn't full, I could have got more in it, but I didn't want any more.. So I checked another empty container to tip it in, but all the containers were faulty. The die cutter or whatever it is called that cuts these plastic containers had cut them at an angle where those concave and convex nipples that clip together, rendering them all useless, so the container did not shut. I called over an assistant and asked for a bit of tape. Assistant said I had put too much in the container. I said I had not because there was a large gap at top that was big enough to take some cheese or a couple of eggs. The assistant wouldn't have it. And said I had put too much in. So I picked an empty container and showed her the faulty cutting of the plastic rendering all that batch of containers useless. Assistant wouldn't have it.

At this point I would have put it down and left, but it looked as if I were being unreasonable for not being able to take my 'overfilled' (but it wasn't it was faulty and wouldn't shut) container as she put it.

I tried to explain agin, as simple as possible what was wrong with the container. Finally she grabbed it off me, took it to the counter, and tried to clip it shut. But it couldn't clip shut because it was a faulty batch. Realisation dawned and she turned round and apologised and apologised and apologised and apologised. And she wrapped it in clingfilm to keep it shut. And couldn't stop apologising. She even followed me as I walked away still apologising to me. She had made the instant decision in the first place that I was pulling a fast one to get her to tape an over filled container. And nothing I said or explained about the faulty container would she even listen to.

I do have my mobility Walker with me and I am limping badly by now, because of my hammer toe I bruised very badly yesterday with trying to get out before the drain men drove away. This encounter with this stupid assistant lady was at least 10 minutes. I didn't realise.

I am half thinking this hammer toe may be broken, because instead of that silly angle it was at before, it is now sort of straight as long as I keep it still. I don't know, but there are no doctors at my GP less surgery to see anyone to check if it is all right. So, before I went out this morning, I put sponge fabric round the hammer toe, and fixed it as a splint to my big toe which has rigor mortis (I know it is called hallux rigidus), but it is like the whole of me is now falling apart with stiff bits and pieces. That big toe is straight, doesn't bend any more, hasn't for years. My rheumatoid arthritis or something. That is what rheumatologist told me. So, I think they are hardly likely to do much to this hammer toe if it is broken. Masking tape held both toes together as in a 'natural' splint.

I came home and was shattered...I gave Popeye some of the so called extra large hot chicken. He ate it and took himself offf to the potting shed, and I went out like a light. My cup of tea is now stone cold a few hours later.

I will go out and check on Popeye and then make another cuppa, and do my creative whatever...if I don't fall asleep again first...

It was worth going out because Popeye ate, but the cost of what I got meant that a couple of notes in my purse wouldn't pay for the shopping, and so I had to get my card out....

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to go to the shops earlier.
I hadn't intended going out this morning.
But Popeye is not eating, not eaten for two days.
I know the end will come one day.

I went to the nearest place early, 8 am, to buy some bits and pieces of sliced meats which he might have eaten a bit of.

I can only try.

Prices have gone up something shocking.
I got odds and ends of different sliced meats, and found expensive cat food...
There was some hot cooked chicken. No price on them, but I thought it would be a treat for me as well. They are extra large birds the meat cooker said, that why they are £3 more...
Blinking heck (substitute different words of your choice for this), any smaller and they would have been the size of a quail...
So, I went to look for some tinned vegetables, but instead of tins they are in what now appear to be tetrapacks or some kind of cardboard. The expiry date was not very long, end of this year not a few years away as the tins are. Also I have visiting mice in winter who like to take a little nibble out of anything not glass or tins. Absolutely useless for me.
Finally, I saw some stuff in the salad bar, so got a container which called itself large, but I call it small, filled it with some salad stuff as a treat to go with the chicken. But the lid wouldn't click close. It wasn't full, I could have got more in it, but I didn't want any more.. So I checked another empty container to tip it in, but all the containers were faulty. The die cutter or whatever it is called that cuts these plastic containers had cut them at an angle where those concave and convex nipples that clip together, rendering them all useless, so the container did not shut. I called over an assistant and asked for a bit of tape. Assistant said I had put too much in the container. I said I had not because there was a large gap at top that was big enough to take some cheese or a couple of eggs. The assistant wouldn't have it. And said I had put too much in. So I picked an empty container and showed her the faulty cutting of the plastic rendering all that batch of containers useless. Assistant wouldn't have it.

At this point I would have put it down and left, but it looked as if I were being unreasonable for not being able to take my 'overfilled' (but it wasn't it was faulty and wouldn't shut) container as she put it.

I tried to explain agin, as simple as possible what was wrong with the container. Finally she grabbed it off me, took it to the counter, and tried to clip it shut. But it couldn't clip shut because it was a faulty batch. Realisation dawned and she turned round and apologised and apologised and apologised and apologised. And she wrapped it in clingfilm to keep it shut. And couldn't stop apologising. She even followed me as I walked away still apologising to me. She had made the instant decision in the first place that I was pulling a fast one to get her to tape an over filled container. And nothing I said or explained about the faulty container would she even listen to.

I do have my mobility Walker with me and I am limping badly by now, because of my hammer toe I bruised very badly yesterday with trying to get out before the drain men drove away. This encounter with this stupid assistant lady was at least 10 minutes. I didn't realise.

I am half thinking this hammer toe may be broken, because instead of that silly angle it was at before, it is now sort of straight as long as I keep it still. I don't know, but there are no doctors at my GP less surgery to see anyone to check if it is all right. So, before I went out this morning, I put sponge fabric round the hammer toe, and fixed it as a splint to my big toe which has rigor mortis (I know it is called hallux rigidus), but it is like the whole of me is now falling apart with stiff bits and pieces. That big toe is straight, doesn't bend any more, hasn't for years. My rheumatoid arthritis or something. That is what rheumatologist told me. So, I think they are hardly likely to do much to this hammer toe if it is broken. Masking tape held both toes together as in a 'natural' splint.

I came home and was shattered...I gave Popeye some of the so called extra large hot chicken. He ate it and took himself offf to the potting shed, and I went out like a light. My cup of tea is now stone cold a few hours later.

I will go out and check on Popeye and then make another cuppa, and do my creative whatever...if I don't fall asleep again first...

It was worth going out because Popeye ate, but the cost of what I got meant that a couple of notes in my purse wouldn't pay for the shopping, and so I had to get my credit card out....
Oh @gennepher it is hard to know how to reply to your post. So sorry for all the trials, injuries and difficulties you continue to endure but in awe of your spirit and determination to stare down adversity.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Other descriptions are available but sure is a tough 'un and as kindhearted as they come. Nightmare for Julie to deal with over safety or what Drs actually say is/was wrong. She has a panic alarm but didn't want to bother anyone when sepsis was rampant. Builder couldn't get in so alerted Julie. Ambulance blue lighted her pronto:arghh:

She is a tough old bird @ianpspurs
My hats off to her! She is living the best way she can, even though it may be giving the rest of you a few heart attacks in the process.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh @gennepher it is hard to know how to reply to your post. So sorry for all the trials, injuries and difficulties you continue to endure but in awe of your spirit and determination to stare down adversity.
I probably should be in a care home @ianpspurs for others to look after me. My kids told me that. But that is never happening...
I will be like your MIL soldiering on whatever life throws at me.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ready to go to sleep again, but I tried this kaleidoscope type pattern from a creative pic I did a few days ago, and posted on here...

28415B17-1AA6-411F-B9E6-A37A097652B3.jpeg

View attachment 51503
Sleep calls...

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo37

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a Forest Heath still, fortunately, stubbornly refusing to completely surrender to the deceptively sinister autumn and its evil. monster sibling Winter. Sock free salmon salad day and neither Stabbington nor Swipey to ruin my morning routine with the facts ma'am, the facts. My fbg was 5.7 today in 2015 (3 months in) and the conditional formatting of my spreadsheet duly turned that cell red for >5.4. I had moved logs the day before, did 35 minutes on my exercise bike and took the dogs for a gentle 40 minute walk. Moot point whether all that detail is maudlin or an essential process in mourning before moving on. Yesterday I had <6 gms carb which sounds fine in this silo but I'm increasingly unconvinced that offers nothing positive. Just a number on a meter/at A1c time - box ticking/target hitting. What if the target is the wrong one? @gennepher shame the phantom videor spoiled your meal. Good work on the image - is fartnarkled your own word or something very technical non arty people should avoid? @dunelm enjoy the wonders brought by the girl in the bubble and indeed all grandchildren and thanks for the art. @karen8967 another Friday Meme delivered on time - can you drive an HGV? I have no clue if there's anything remotely relevant in this post but I sincerely wish you all well. Oh, I'm a 2.5 litres+ tea (Assam) until 11.00 am then what most consider cisssy's koffy with cream and sugar free caramel syrup, kinda guy.
I heard somewhere that assam tea lowers blood sugar - have you found that?

Reactions: gennepher

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey peeps I hope yous are all doing ok :)

I don't post much these days as I am sooooo busy working and don't have a lot of spare time

6.2 at 10am this morning (I was working until 11.30pm last night and was tiredy, tiredy) BS are usually in the 6s these days I have not had many/any 5s or less in the last few months since going back to work so mes thinks possibly higher numbers with working and the stress that it brings ...:banghead:

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from a dark and quiet start here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of ‘now see what you have done’ came in at 6.1 this am.

Girl in the bubble again today. Her other grandmother is not too well so we have her today. We also have her tomorrow afternoon and for a sleep over so that will be good. Youngest son coming this evening to collect a couple of single beds that are no longer required but have been asked for by the ninky nonks.
Sat here with my tea. I do like a couple of hours in the morning on my own. Tea first - and then a cafetière of koffy. I can’t do koffy first thing, it has to be tea first - oh what strange habits we turn ourselves into; ‘people aren’t just people, they are people surrounded by circumstances’ (Terry Pratchett).
Off to visit the venue for our reunion later this morning to finalise things. Mrs Miggins always organises this event, I think we have 200 ish this year.

Art bit - added some colour to yesterdays. Have a fruitful Friday, I shall now dig out that cafetière.

View attachment 51492
Beautiful colours .

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I heard somewhere that assam tea lowers blood sugar - have you found that?
I have no idea really. To be honest, I'm not sure anything I do lowers blood sugar but I do enjoy Assam tea so I'll drink it whilst the lorries run. Good to hear from you. Take care with all that work. Make sure you find some me time.

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea really. To be honest, I'm not sure anything I do lowers blood sugar but I do enjoy Assam tea so I'll drink it whilst the lorries run.
Where do you buy it from?

PS Don't be so hard on yourself Ian you are doing a fab job with great numbers!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where do you buy it from?
Recently, Amazon in multi packs but all good supermarkets, and some not good ones, stock the Twinnings we buy or their own brand. Some own brand ones are execrable IMHO - S for one and W for another, oddly.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I probably should be in a care home @ianpspurs for others to look after me. My kids told me that. But that is never happening...
I will be like your MIL soldiering on whatever life throws at me.
No you shouldn't be in a care home you are too much of a free spirit for that .

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No you shouldn't be in a care home you are too much of a free spirit for that .
Thanks @mojo37
I agree. I would be too much of a disruptive influence in one...
I need my own freedom, my own space, and do things my way.

It is lovely to hear from you.
Take care.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey peeps I hope yous are all doing ok :)

I don't post much these days as I am sooooo busy working and don't have a lot of spare time

6.2 at 10am this morning (I was working until 11.30pm last night and was tiredy, tiredy) BS are usually in the 6s these days I have not had many/any 5s or less in the last few months since going back to work so mes thinks possibly higher numbers with working and the stress that it brings ...:banghead:
Hugs for the tiredness and stress @Mrs T 123
Try and find a few moments just for you. Pretty near impossible I know.