What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from a bit of a damp start there in the dark and dangerous north
Home again, home again jigerty jog and then out last night to a local Thai restaurant for crab cakes and then a naughty Pad Thai.
A bit of shopping on the cards today. My pal from the USA needs to replace batteries in his watch (allegedly expensive in the land of the not so free after all) and then to M&S for a pair of slacks that he fancies. He needs to organise a lateral flow test as well at some point.
Art bit - some quick sketch done before the weekend. Have a smashing day if you can. I am already having koffy.

View attachment 54314
Busy day @dunelm !

Dramatic clouds accentuating the minuscule man in the boat who survives against all odds...

Reactions: jjraak and dunelm

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who sailed on the good ship lollipop.
Blood sugars this morning were 5.0.
Not sure about today, it is my girlfriend number 5’s husband’s funeral, he was 93 and this year would have been their 70th wedding anniversary, that’s both of now gone. Tomorrow will be another funeral one of my many cousin’s she was in her early 70’s and it appears a victim of the covid virus, but did have underlying health issues.

Now today here in Tilehurst Towers it will be a day of 3 halves, pre funeral, funeral, post funeral unfortunately at no point in the day will me and me’s have time to work on ongoing woodworking projects….drat….and worse still I, will be under the full supervision of Mrs J, who just for information is rather picky about my choice of apparel to wear too a funeral, I mustn’t grumble, Mrs J does know how to use the washing machine, something far beyond my abilities.
Stay safe all.
Take care @alf_Josiah
Hugs
Woodworking tomorrow morning?

Reactions: alf_Josiah

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. Well- after a no carb. evening meal at 6.30 pm and nothing to eat afterwards, just a drink of black tea my fbs this morning was 12.3. The sun is just breaking through the clouds here but still very chilly so time to wrap up warm and have a walk in the fresh air. The jay is back in our garden.:) We thought it had moved on. We also have a visiting woodpecker and thrush as well as two pairs of nesting magpies along with a wide variety of smaller birds. They are eating us out of house and home and such a pleasure to watch. No cats yet,@gennepher but we do have the occasional visit from a fox. Isn't nature fascinating? Best wishes to all for a good day.:)
Nature is absolutely wonderful...and relaxing @dogslife

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No FBG today
How can I eat more appropriately when our houseguest has made a huge stack of pancakes for breakfast?
I had two filled with cream cheese, but the pile is very inviting and there is jam on the table.
I am alone in the kitchen with an empty plate and a very hot cup of tea.
Today I am going to attempt to get appointment with the doctor to discuss test results. Was going to wait until I had the scan she recommended as well, but that has now been confirmed as not happening until June 29th.
Need to get my act together. We are going to UK on Friday. For some reason am very anxious about this.
Hugs for your anxiety @SlimLizzy

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greetings chums and welcome @ErinKeegan. I obviously had an fbg but Swipey appears to be missing from both arms. @Jojo85 you will manage to stay on the straight and narrow this week. @SlimLizzy hug for the anxiety and my sympathies for you and anyone else tempted by higher carb food. @alf_Josiah funerals are usually sombre but a part of life's rich tapestry. Two so close is obviously difficult so you have my sympathy. @gennepher and @dunelm thank you both for the artwork. In other news, our two grandchildren brighten a dull day. The effort required for an 8 month old boy to manoeuvre a small lozenge shaped rusk or half a blueberry into his mouth is awesome. Then the sheer joy when he succeeds is wonderful. Not LC but I would bet the farm it tastes better than (almost) anything LC. Oh, Wai.... had 20% off meat and fish at the counters yesterday (for cardholders, no free coffee in Newmarket - must email Hancock:angelic:) and the couple in front of us kindly let me have their salmon skin which the guy serving wrapped separately and for free. Also bought a half side of salmon and 2 dry aged sirloin steaks (£ 6 the pair) :woot::woot: Random acts of kindness and hope 2 - Macron won - (3 rd on the way, VAR :D) Forces of Darkness and Evil 0. (Le Pen lost) Go Team D.
Thanks @ianpspurs
:)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Take care @alf_Josiah
Hugs
Woodworking tomorrow morning?
Sorry, no another funeral and disaster darlings disaster, the soul on one of my only posh pair of black shoes has just fallen off, only had then 20 + years, things are not made to last ( last, pun, shoe ) anymore.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Right...back to my day...never enough hours in it...
i11316.png
i11317.png
i11318.png
i11319.png

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who sailed on the good ship lollipop.
Not sure about today, it is my girlfriend number 5’s husband’s funeral, he was 93 and this year would have been their 70th wedding anniversary, that’s both of now gone. Tomorrow will be another funeral one of my many cousin’s she was in her early 70’s and it appears a victim of the covid virus, but did have underlying health issues.

Now today here in Tilehurst Towers it will be a day of 3 halves, pre funeral, funeral, post funeral unfortunately at no point in the day will me and me’s have time to work on ongoing woodworking projects….drat….and worse still I, will be under the full supervision of Mrs J, who just for information is rather picky about my choice of apparel to wear too a funeral, I mustn’t grumble, Mrs J does know how to use the washing machine, something far beyond my abilities.
Stay safe all.
Big hugs alfs xx

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is interesting @Krystyna23040 @dogslife because before I was diagnosed with diabetes my cholesterol was in the 6's, and the doctors never found that an issue. But I got diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in 2015/16. And it was I have to take a statin to get it down to 4's . I did question that if 6's were okay before diabetes, then why is it not okay now. The only answer I got at that time was that it was protocol to give all diabetics statins. And I did take them. But for various reasons I was not happy, but I got told, look you are in the 5's now and that is far healthier for you. Anyway to cut a long story short, the main GP in our practice was in trouble, because of neglect and a court case, and him and his wife had to leave. Hence no GP's to run our surgery. So this has been a doctorless/nurse/diabetic nurse less surgery since early 2019. It is a GP Surgery in name only. Hence no check ups, no blood tests etc.

Consequently I stopped taking the statins in 2019 after research online. I pay for a few of my own tests. My cholesterol has gone back up to the 6's which is what I was pre diabetes diagnosis. It stays stable at that level. I make my own choices and decisions.

I am glad you posted that @Krystyna23040 because it further validates my own feelings and decisions.

Thank you.
I think that you were very wise to do your own research and come off the statins @gennepher.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is interesting @Krystyna23040 @dogslife because before I was diagnosed with diabetes my cholesterol was in the 6's, and the doctors never found that an issue. But I got diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in 2015/16. And it was I have to take a statin to get it down to 4's . I did question that if 6's were okay before diabetes, then why is it not okay now. The only answer I got at that time was that it was protocol to give all diabetics statins. And I did take them. But for various reasons I was not happy, but I got told, look you are in the 5's now and that is far healthier for you. Anyway to cut a long story short, the main GP in our practice was in trouble, because of neglect and a court case, and him and his wife had to leave. Hence no GP's to run our surgery. So this has been a doctorless/nurse/diabetic nurse less surgery since early 2019. It is a GP Surgery in name only. Hence no check ups, no blood tests etc.

Consequently I stopped taking the statins in 2019 after research online. I pay for a few of my own tests. My cholesterol has gone back up to the 6's which is what I was pre diabetes diagnosis. It stays stable at that level. I make my own choices and decisions.

I am glad you posted that @Krystyna23040 because it further validates my own feelings and decisions.

Thank you.
Agree ..same here

Almost certain it's history based
And all around the majority (T2D)
Being advised to eat the SAD diet for many years .

Going to be a good few before the stats of how much better so many are, not eating it, AND taking better notice of what is ACTUALLY happening to their BG right here and now.

Rather then waiting for the tut-tutting of the doctor as they explain just why you failed ( your weak & lazy, obv :rolleyes:;))

But not to worry this medicine or this operation will sort you out .:sorry:

Sure there is a middle ground, but until both sides can be honest, it won't be soon.:banghead:

Reactions: dunelm

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. Well- after a no carb. evening meal at 6.30 pm and nothing to eat afterwards, just a drink of black tea my fbs this morning was 12.3. The sun is just breaking through the clouds here but still very chilly so time to wrap up warm and have a walk in the fresh air. The jay is back in our garden.:) We thought it had moved on. We also have a visiting woodpecker and thrush as well as two pairs of nesting magpies along with a wide variety of smaller birds. They are eating us out of house and home and such a pleasure to watch. No cats yet,@gennepher but we do have the occasional visit from a fox. Isn't nature fascinating? Best wishes to all for a good day.:)
Sounds delightful

Suggest you get 'twinned' with @gennepher garden like some towns do :D

Reactions: dogslife

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Stay safe all.
Late, but sorry for the Day/s ahead

Sure each will have a good sprinkling of laughter & smiles as everyone remembers a story or two.

May they RiP.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two days mid 7's...ho hum

Weekend ok
Partook of the invite to walk dogs (*niece babysitting bosses dog a few days)
So Lauren, niece me & 2 dogs

Took e-scooter..
Probably not allowed, but figured if I just scooted it (it rolls better over gravel type pathways better then the kick one I'm using to get around if I intend to keep up any outdoor social life )

Started off ok, but clear I couldn't keep up with ladies, and no chance whatsoever with the two dogs romping and jumping on each other playfully .:hilarious:.

Rather then curtail my walk I did use slow mode, speed kept to 2/3 KPH, no one seemed to notice or complain.

One couple sat having a lovely looking Al fresco lunch, even chuckled they need to get one each :happy:

Walk lovely, so enjoyed the day and fresh air .
But my goodness, it took a lot out of me
Think it's the pushing, using muscles over such hard terrain I hadn't used in ages, plus the stance .
Easy to not realise how tense one is, trying to steer, throttle & brake at the same time

Paid the price today, so a rest day for me .

Gratuitous pics of the lovable little Herbert's
resting in car on way back
Believe other dog is a cockapoo.
IMG_20220424_142618_resize_66.jpg

Hopefully might be able to do a little more tomorrow.:)

See ya all, at sunrise ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that you were very wise to do your own research and come off the statins @gennepher.
Thanks @Krystyna23040
Circumstances enabled me to do that much more easily without getting disapproval, because no doc or nurses at surgery, insisting they are the trained professionals with all these years of study under their belt, and you are an upstart for daring to question them.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree ..same here

Almost certain it's history based
And all around the majority (T2D)
Being advised to eat the SAD diet for many years .

Going to be a good few before the stats of how much better so many are, not eating it, AND taking better notice of what is ACTUALLY happening to their BG right here and now.

Rather then waiting for the tut-tutting of the doctor as they explain just why you failed ( your weak & lazy, obv :rolleyes:;))

But not to worry this medicine or this operation will sort you out .:sorry:

Sure there is a middle ground, but until both sides can be honest, it won't be soon.:banghead:
We have all been brainwashed into believing them @jjraak because they insist they are the trained professionals. Yes, they do have training under their belt, but often their long years of study (I acknowledge that), were done a couple of decades or so ago, and their stuff has moved on a long way since then, so they promote the outmoded ideas. And are totally resistant to new ones, no matter how politely you try to introduce them. They won't work with you, they work at you. You have to work with them, without your needs or wants being taken into account.

I agree "But not to worry this medicine or this operation will sort you out .:sorry:", this is what they say to you. Alarm bells ring if they say that to me...

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a day of promise and hope here in the dark and dangerous north
How easy is it to get a lateral flow test within a 24 time slot to fly to the USA. Well, you can get one in Boots of course but your local Boots, not on your nelly. Will there be a time slot available? Yes, but not until 4 days after you fly. So, Heathrow then? Bingo - but you now have to be at the airport half a day earlier than anticipated - oh well. Good job we have made so much progress since we relied entirely upon the Yellow Pages and J R Hartley.
Art bit - the corner of something that didn’t quite work out but never mind, it’s sometimes an uphill struggle. Have a great day, whatever day you think it is. I must make some koffy.

upload_2022-4-26_7-13-14.jpeg