What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure on this one @gennepher

my heart says whatever works for you..:)

but my minds logical side :bookworm: says it SHOULD be the natural state you wake up in,
that tells the best tale of you nights slumber and bodies recovery from the previous days/weeks activities...imho..bearing in mind it's not a one off score, but the trend that really sets the tone for our 'Recovery'

As i understand it, we are tall pot of glucose, encumbered by too much of the stuff, either because we overloaded in years gone by and the pot is overflowing, (T2D) or because we manage the movement and efficiency of using up THAT energy source (glucose) ineffectively..(T2D)

Our first step is to cut down the amount coming in..(LCHF)
the outcome of that is we are STILL a pot of Glucose, all be it NOT simmering over quite as much as it's NOT being topped up in such a huge manner on a daily basis.
However we do still have too much in us, and need THAT amount to be reduced also.

It is THAT FBG score, that tells us how well we are managing to reduce our BG levels ..
( a number based on how much our bloods are affected NOW by the previous days/weeks,)

BUT that glucose also 'leaks' out of us, ( and that's good, because it's part of our 'drainage' plan*)
and we can also have the benefit of the liver kicking in with the dawn phenomenon,
to help us start our day.

Now those two can raise your FBG, so i think the measure of how well you are doing, personally in emptying that internal POT, IS the pure FBG.....pure as in, unsullied by eating/exercise/meditation.

as THAT, to my mind IS your waking natural state, BEFORE the body kicks in (hopefully)
or we muddy the waters with coffees, sweeteners, sugars, exercise, etc.

But it's not written in stone, ( at least not by me.:))
whatever people want to do that works best for THEM, is probably the best way to go.

*Part of my plan saw me cut down carbs considerably, and up the fats.
the scores even in early days did not reflect my pre and post eating Bloods.
it took a good while ..a month at least i think before i stepped down in plateaus, from the high 9's and 10' to a steadiers reduction each month via 8/7/6/5.
to the point.where i mainly now am inside a 6 mmol/ 5 mmol bubble most mornings.

Very informative.
Thank you for your detailed reply.
It gives me a much better understanding.
I will read this post again later.
I always screenshot posts I find interesting/informative, then it is easier to get back to them.
I understand why you say it is the moment you wake up in a morning.
Thank you for taking the time to write this. I appreciate it.

Have a good day.

>^..^<

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5 this morning. Have been for another walk in the woods with the doggies. We thought we would drop into a nearby pub to get a coffee but it wasn't open yet so we drove off. The older Labrador started crying as we left the car park because he absolutely loves going to cafe's, pubs and hotels.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, everyone. No FBG test this morning as the KittenCat was sick and I had to take her to the vet before breakfast. She got a shot and we are back home now and she is eating well. I have to pick up some OTC Pepcid for her to take as needed.

Everybody talking about moving! Are these good moves? Bad moves? Just moves? I have been thinking about it too but the small town I am thinking of doesn't have an emergency animal clinic. Last night when talking with a friend on the phone about the expense of moving anywhere, she told me that if I do move back to Birmingham (BirmingHAM), she can bring her truck and horse trailer over here and we can load up all my stuff and move. "It'll be fun!" she said. Two middle-aged women loading up boxes of books and stuff? Can we? I wondered. Of course she just drove back to her barn with a truckbed and trailer full of baled hay, and moving household goods is no harder than moving bales of hay!

Then I just found out that my favorite Meals on Wheels deliverers are moving away at the end of May. :(

Winds of change.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is about 11 pm here and my number is 6.8 as i get ready to sleep. Am hoping tomorrow morning the liver doesn’t dump too much sugar... and keep my morning number lower... fingers crossed... gd night / day!!

Just finishing this strange and interesting book - A month in the country by J L Carr...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, everyone. No FBG test this morning as the KittenCat was sick and I had to take her to the vet before breakfast. She got a shot and we are back home now and she is eating well. I have to pick up some OTC Pepcid for her to take as needed.

Everybody talking about moving! Are these good moves? Bad moves? Just moves? I have been thinking about it too but the small town I am thinking of doesn't have an emergency animal clinic. Last night when talking with a friend on the phone about the expense of moving anywhere, she told me that if I do move back to Birmingham (BirmingHAM), she can bring her truck and horse trailer over here and we can load up all my stuff and move. "It'll be fun!" she said. Two middle-aged women loading up boxes of books and stuff? Can we? I wondered. Of course she just drove back to her barn with a truckbed and trailer full of baled hay, and moving household goods is no harder than moving bales of hay!

Then I just found out that my favorite Meals on Wheels deliverers are moving away at the end of May. :(

Winds of change.
Hope the KC improves as rapidly as possible. Perhaps the move is part of a plan for you which passeth all understanding. My own move, whilst against my short term plans, is to be nearer 2 sons and by next week 3 grandchildren with the likelihood of more to come. Think that makes it part bad and part good. 3rd son and family are looking into relocating in the same area in a year or two which would make it good. The boys would not be able to afford to live in this area.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everybody talking about moving! Are these good moves? Bad moves? Just moves?
A good move for me Saskia...having lived in London until 6 years ago I decided a complete change was in order...tired of the expense the lack of space ...the traffic etc...it was a massive change & took a while to settle now I love it...if I'd known how much I would have done it sooner.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen " and fellow odd balls " and all who will take offence at being labelled an odd ball, perhaps for the purpose of this posting you could be either a lady or gentleman.

A 6.4 greeted me again this morning.

Now let's get down to the nitty gritty of this posting, for breakfast I had our favourite bacon and eggs instead of my usual porridge, sure enough I hit an energy barrier feeling not good at all, my blood sugars were 6.2 so no problem on that score.
After a rest and lunch I hit another barrier, after another rest I started to feel a bit better.
I have been physically and mentally active recently ( for a few of you I do walk on the wild side of sanity ).
Then I remembered what the diabetic consultant told me when we discussing diets, low carb high fat etc, his advice to was a good breakfast for me would be bacon and egg with a slice of toast, for carbs.
It seems I really do need some carbs. So tomorrow I shall be back on porridge.
I am also wondering if @ianpspurs is in the predicament as me with regard to energy levels.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC hope the KC is much better, that was a dramatic start to the day.
Re moving we are trying to downsize more our garden than house because we just cant go forward with all the work involved. We realise it may not happen this year and OH wont retire before next year. But when he does we want to have more choice over how we spend our time. We have no clear picture of where we will go so looking in the area we know. Hope you figure out whats best for you, your friend with the trailer sounds a real trooper, the friend everyone needs! Hugs to KC from Bobs and Daisy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen " and fellow odd balls " and all who will take offence at being labelled an odd ball, perhaps for the purpose of this posting you could be either a lady or gentleman.

Now let's get down to the nitty gritty of this posting, for breakfast I had our favourite bacon and eggs instead of my usual porridge, sure enough I hit an energy barrier feeling not good at all, my blood sugars were 6.2 so no problem on that score.
After a rest and lunch I hit another barrier, after another rest I started to feel a bit better.
I have been physically and mentally active recently ( for a few of you I do walk on the wild side of sanity ).
Then I remembered what the diabetic consultant told me when we discussing diets, low carb high fat etc, his advice to was a good breakfast for me would be bacon and egg with a slice of toast, for carbs.
I am also wondering if @ianpspurs is in the predicament as me with regard to energy levels.
Hi @alf_Josiah hope the energy deficit is sorted tomorrow. Not sure I have an actual versus perceived energy problem. I am well able to do my 180 mins and then some of moderate exercise and when I push myself I can do HIIT with good recovery time. Medium term I am hoping the move will put me nearer a gym myself and my boys can use together where I can use classes/personal trainer to give me better idea of how I compare to reasonably fit 64 year olds.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Asthmatic here.
Found ginger tea most helpful, personally.
Sliced ginger, boiled in water, left to simmer gently 10 mins..served lemon n honey pre Diabetic....served to reduce effects considerably...LC then did the rest.

But if you haven't tried it, I'd give it a go
Wasn't able to get hold of ginger root this weekend as ALDI don't stock it but got some ginger tea from Holland and Barrett. I know it won't be anything as good as your recipe but I am hoping it will help until I get the real stuff from Tesco. Actually it might have helped a bit as I have only used my inhaler 3 times today so far instead of every 2 or 3 hours that I have been doing.

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Movers? London and Brighton gave me the buzz. Being single, took me a while to settle elsewhere.

Footie crazy. Vincent Kompany scores!! Last night had pizza and beer. Yes my FBG must be off the scale.

I'm due down in Wales later this week with Mother, so no sign of a fino sherry there. These last few years have a different agenda.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope the KC improves as rapidly as possible. Perhaps the move is part of a plan for you which passeth all understanding. My own move, whilst against my short term plans, is to be nearer 2 sons and by next week 3 grandchildren with the likelihood of more to come. Think that makes it part bad and part good. 3rd son and family are looking into relocating in the same area in a year or two which would make it good. The boys would not be able to afford to live in this area.

Thank you. The KittenCat is doing fine now. She has been eating well. Right now she is up on the windowsill sunbathing.

I am thinking about our move as you said, and therefore trying to not think too hard about it but see what falls into place. I hope that your move will go well and that the bad outweighs the good.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A good move for me Saskia...having lived in London until 6 years ago I decided a complete change was in order...tired of the expense the lack of space ...the traffic etc...it was a massive change & took a while to settle now I love it...if I'd known how much I would have done it sooner.

I'm glad it's been good for you. You sound like me -- the lack of space, and the traffic. And all the pavement! I miss grass and water. That is one reason I'm leaning a bit towards the small mountain town instead of Birmingham; B'ham would just be more pavement, tall buildings, and pavements. But it is in Alabama, and Alabama became home to me for many years.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC hope the KC is much better, that was a dramatic start to the day.
Re moving we are trying to downsize more our garden than house because we just cant go forward with all the work involved. We realise it may not happen this year and OH wont retire before next year. But when he does we want to have more choice over how we spend our time. We have no clear picture of where we will go so looking in the area we know. Hope you figure out whats best for you, your friend with the trailer sounds a real trooper, the friend everyone needs! Hugs to KC from Bobs and Daisy.

Thank you. The KittenCat sends hugs back. She has eaten well since we got home and seems to be feeling fine.

Up until about 6 years ago we lived in a house with a wooded garden; even without much grass to mow it took a LOT of work! The small town has lots of wooded areas and also some wide open spaces including a lake. And, from what I have read, no traffic -- but also not much in the way of transportation. Booking Uber this morning was complicated, but at least it was available, and got us to the vet and back. A friend of mine was going out to her car just as I was about to give up on Uber this morning; she saw me waiting, cat carrier and all, and offered me a ride, which I thought was a real blessing. Just as we went out the door the Uber driver arrived so I went with him in order to not cancel on him and not take my friend out of her way. Worked out very well all round!

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Woke up to the same number as when I went to bed ... 6.8 ... Not terribly happy but not getting too bogged down either. I will be seeing my doctor today with my latest tests. They show my post eating numbers being good but fasting still on slightly higher side...

My cholesterol profile has improved significantly since last test. HDL up, LDL down (but still a bit higher than desirable) and triglycerides are significantly lowered.

Vitamin D is well in desirable range. It was quite low, which is a shame considering i live on the equator with sunshine all year round.

Doctor should hopefully be happy with the progress. My main point is - if I could get off the gliptin (onglyza) that he put me on a while ago. Let’s see. Good day everyone

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Meals got thrown off schedule for me this morning. When I did eat, i ate the 2nd half of the sub sandwich I bought yesterday -- roast beef, cheese, tomato, spinach. I kept feeling tired (stressful busy morning). So for supper I had a bowl of cereal, and within minutes I felt re-energized. So yeah, carbs. :)

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Meals got thrown off schedule for me this morning. When I did eat, i ate the 2nd half of the sub sandwich I bought yesterday -- roast beef, cheese, tomato, spinach. I kept feeling tired (stressful busy morning). So for supper I had a bowl of cereal, and within minutes I felt re-energized. So yeah, carbs. :)

Carbs sneakily creeping back in is something that I always worry about but yes that occasional indulgence

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

was 4.8 yesterday and 4.8 today.

Our internet was dire yesterday and I couldn't get pages to load but it's much better so far today :happy:
I tried subbing in some protein powder to my sponge yesterday and it was a moderate and amusing (to mr. gee anyway ;) ),success

Mistake no 1 was adding the usual amount of sweetener, forgetting the protein powder already had some in it so it was a bit sweeter than I usually like.

Mistake no 2 was using the usual amount of liquid, didn't need that amount and it resulted in a slightly more liquid batter. With being more liquid it rose to a level that had mr gee watching through the microwave window in great amusement, then subsided to become flat topped with an aircraft carrier style deck all round :hilarious:

Still had decent texture though so I think it warrants another experiment :) I'd have preferred unflavoured so I could use it in the savoury version too but the big price reduction was for the vanilla flavour.

Sun is out at the moment but it's forecast to be showery and cold, all in all British Bank Holiday weather ;)

Hope your bank holiday is treating you kindly :)
Picturing Mr Gee looking through microwave window made me smile.