What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I awoke earlier at a quarter-to-moonset I was all gung-ho to walk to the post office as soon at it opened, which looked like being about the same time the sun rose. I went back to bed for half an hour, and now have just woken up again 3 hours later, at a more human o'clock, and have no desire whatsoever to walk to the post office or anywhere else.

The dark hour earlier and the full moon and the autumn chill in the air were very energizing. Now that it's daylight, and the chill is off the air, there is no excitement to the day. I do however have a lot of questions about cricket, so I am going to start a General Chat thread about it so as not to take up a lot of OT space here.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @SaskiaKC

I have explored what is available here or near here. There is very little. I have been round a couple of places. Not because I was considering it, but because my daughter from Oz insisted I should be thinking of it. I showed her the details and locations and facilities and prices. And then she understood why I said No.

My daughter from Oz explained there were a lot of purpose built retirement homes in australia and she was initially assuming there would be the same here. We then realised Australia (and America too for that matter) has vast wide open spaces. Whereas in the U.K. building space is at a premium, and it is not possible or easy to build retirement homes or complexes in the way you can in a country with more land.

The few that are built near here are out of reach of my pocket. I couldn’t remotely afford them. The few that are around, are exclusive with exclusive prices. And you still have to pay all your utility bills! It is not economically viable for me.

So, batty old lady will live in her falling down bungalow for the rest of her days in her overgrown garden...

But things change. Different governments, new policies (but it needs governments to implement those policies not just say they are looking into it), and there is always the lottery ticket...

There are luxury ones here too, such as you describe. Sometimes when I am looking up government-subsidized senior communities (the ones based on income, no matter how low), I will see an entry for a community that features a swimming pool, or dishwashers in each apartment. Right then, I know that that is a luxury community! And those places cost a fortune!

I've only known of a couple of people who retired to such a community. The retirees I know who could afford something like that have all stayed in their own homes. I can't understand why anyone who owns their own home and can afford to keep it up would have any desire to move into an apartment "community" boxed in with a bunch of others.

I am sorry your daughter was wanting you to move into one. I have known women my age and older who were basically moved into senior housing by their kids and I can't imagine what that must be like.
Some say it is out of "love," but I wonder. I am grateful not to have any children. The KittenCat is a wonderful "dependent" and even though she does boss me around sometimes, she can't take over.
^. .^

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher and @SaskiaKC very interesting convo and I agree with both of you. As long as you can live independently you should do so IMO. Thats what I would want. It may not be perfect @SaskiaKC but it cant be underestimated that you dont have to pay utility bills as would happen in UK. Thank goodness you are allowed to have the KC which IMO is the biggest advantage of all. I admire the stoicism and independence both you ladies show with different challenges enormously.
Shout out for Popeye and KittenCat too :cat:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher and @SaskiaKC very interesting convo and I agree with both of you. As long as you can live independently you should do so IMO. Thats what I would want. It may not be perfect @SaskiaKC but it cant be underestimated that you dont have to pay utility bills as would happen in UK. Thank goodness you are allowed to have the KC which IMO is the biggest advantage of all. I admire the stoicism and independence both you ladies show with different challenges enormously.
Shout out for Popeye and KittenCat too :cat:

It is very good @SaskiaKC that you can have KittenCat in your accommodation. It is extremely unlikely you would be allowed to have even a cat in retired accommodation here.

I did know someone, an elderly gentleman, who was put in a retirement home by his children. He wasn’t ready, but was given no option.

What he did next was amazing in my eyes. He managed to rent an allotment (a tiny piece of land where you generally grow vegetables and flowers) with a wooden shed already built on it. He made the wooden shed comfy with armchair and everything, a little battery radio, a little primus stove where he boiled water for his cuppa tea. And he spent his daytime in the shed on his allotment, and his newspapers to read.

There are many other allotments on the same site, and many other people there on a daily basis. And other people who retreat to their allotment sheds. So he was with a vibrant interesting community every day during the day and people popping in his shed for a cuppa, not him sitting on a chair with the other residents in the retirement home waiting to die as he put it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher most senior communities here have garden spaces for the residents. People here mostly grow vegetables as far as I know.

You mentioned the space issue awhile ago ... it's ironic that while in this country there is a lot of space (unfortunately coveted by "developers"), most of the low-income senior communities are built outside the town centers. And small towns are notorious for not having public transportation, or even taxis or Uber. So you have a bunch of elderly people, most of whom don't drive, living too far from the center of town to walk to shopping areas, doctors' offices, etc. And most little towns don't have sidewalks, anyway. When I first experienced "senior living" I was all for getting together with other seniors and trying to get things we need, but I soon learned that that was hopeless. The seniors who can afford necessities buy them, those who can't, don't even want to try to band together to do anything but play dominoes or Bingo.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher most senior communities here have garden spaces for the residents. People here mostly grow vegetables as far as I know.

You mentioned the space issue awhile ago ... it's ironic that while in this country there is a lot of space (unfortunately coveted by "developers"), most of the low-income senior communities are built outside the town centers. And small towns are notorious for not having public transportation, or even taxis or Uber. So you have a bunch of elderly people, most of whom don't drive, living too far from the center of town to walk to shopping areas, doctors' offices, etc. And most little towns don't have sidewalks, anyway. When I first experienced "senior living" I was all for getting together with other seniors and trying to get things we need, but I soon learned that that was hopeless. The seniors who can afford necessities buy them, those who can't, don't even want to try to band together to do anything but play dominoes or Bingo.

Yes, I can imagine that the developers force the low income communities to out of town to more rural areas.

You do need to band together, like you were trying to do. But a lot of people don’t or won’t, they give up so to speak.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 5.9

Have a good weekend.

BBC weather app promises sun all day Saturday!!! They say a day with no rain at all. Is that at all possible?

I hope so :)

upload_2019-10-12_4-13-30.gif

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Dear diary, I continue to be a miserable sod. Finally gave up and got up. Unable to sleep due to coughing, and I'm showing 7.9 at 0500. The book said to try leeches to lower BG, I did, with garlic and they are very rubbery. I wish Peabody would hurry with the supplies, perhaps all is lost"

Reactions: karen8967

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Dear diary, I continue to be a miserable sod. Finally gave up and got up. Unable to sleep due to coughing, and I'm showing 7.9 at 0500. The book said to try leeches to lower BG, I did, with garlic and they are very rubbery. I wish Peabody would hurry with the supplies, perhaps all is lost"
Oh dear methinks you need to go back to the doc for more meds. COPD and a lingering chest infection is not a good combo. I can only suggest a little gentle exercise and LOTS of rest and fluids. You poor boy I am sorry you are feeling so rough even with a brilliant sense of humour. As always please take care.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its silly o clock for me and I have just tested 6.7 which can only be due to 4 squares Lindt 90 after my fish and brocolli dinner. I havent had choc for months and really enjoyed it but will be wary going forth. Atm I seem to be super reactive to everything. The thing I enjoyed most yesterday was a boiled egg for lunch which brough my predinner levels down to what is expected. Anyway today’s another day to deal with the monster.
@gennepher I am glad you are expecting sun cos we are expecting wall to walk rain all weekend. Enjoy Saturday All. Stay/get well, stay safe.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

upload_2019-10-12_5-30-20.gif

upload_2019-10-12_5-32-33.gif

upload_2019-10-12_5-30-20.gif

Sorry no leaches available

Would you accept this cheeky daisy instead?

upload_2019-10-12_5-32-33.gif

Or this one?

upload_2019-10-12_5-33-58.gif

Or this one?

upload_2019-10-12_5-36-12.gif

Maybe some magic potions with these flowers?

upload_2019-10-12_5-38-59.gif

Ah, best I can do...she has packed one leach in each capsule for hygiene reasons. My garden pond is out of leaches at the moment...but she has managed to source some. Top quality I am assured...

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-12_5-24-46.gif
    upload_2019-10-12_5-24-46.gif
    50.6 KB · Views: 224
  • upload_2019-10-12_5-25-41.gif
    upload_2019-10-12_5-25-41.gif
    35.1 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its silly o clock for me and I have just tested 6.7 which can only be due to 4 squares Lindt 90 after my fish and brocolli dinner. I havent had choc for months and really enjoyed it but will be wary going forth. Atm I seem to be super reactive to everything. The thing I enjoyed most yesterday was a boiled egg for lunch which brough my predinner levels down to what is expected. Anyway today’s another day to deal with the monster.
@gennepher I am glad you are expecting sun cos we are expecting wall to walk rain all weekend. Enjoy Saturday All. Stay/get well, stay safe.
Oh dear @PenguinMum
Sorry about your rain.
Maybe you might get a beautiful rainbow or two or three
upload_2019-10-12_5-49-8.gif
upload_2019-10-12_5-49-15.gif
upload_2019-10-12_5-49-19.gif

I am hoping to sit on my thatched swing and enjoy the butterflies. I still have quite a few Painted Ladies flying in my garden each time the sun comes out. Very surprising!
Have a good day...watching wall to wall rain...and in between all the rainbows you are going to see!!!

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-12_5-48-36.gif
    upload_2019-10-12_5-48-36.gif
    52.7 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: trick60

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs for @OldButBold and @PenguinMum. The former for the illness inflicted woes and the latter for the T2 snakes and ladders tomfoolery. I feel a little guilty sitting here contentedly drinking tea and watching the dog sleep peacefully. My fbg was 5.5 when I monitored first thing.which is OK for all practical purposes but please read the terms and conditions. @gennepher a day without rain? No water here (Cambridgeshire) in the graveyard water butt the other day and when we finally get to Suffolk it is drier than Jerusalem https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/suffolk-still-driest-part-of-uk-1-198742 - still wet today though.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear methinks you need to go back to the doc for more meds. COPD and a lingering chest infection is not a good combo. I can only suggest a little gentle exercise and LOTS of rest and fluids.

I'm back at docs on Tuesday, luckily her ladyship is leaving me alone now until Thurs (I hope). I found it hilarious yesterday when she commented "I can't believe they want you to go out in your condition"... whilst I was driving her. The penny never dropped :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and it's Part Day 70 this very day and greeted with a 5.3 by my pet Dracula.

Our homes had its Autumn Spring Clean, if one can use both seasons to describe the whirlwind of cleaning done by Mrs MC and myself? The house is full of wonderful cooking smells and we can relax before our joyous party goers arrive. Not sure how it will go, with limited space in our home I had to whittle down the hundreds I wanted to ask to 24. I decided to invite someone from each of my interest groups, folk players, classical musicians, Morris men, Choir Members, Mountain Bikers, Horse Whisperers, Motor Sport, Artists and photographers, it will either be very disastrous or brilliant. Of course I have asked musicians to bring instruments, photographers cameras and artists sketch pads, I told the Horse Whisperer to leave his horses at home, I had to draw a line somewhere however he can knock out a good tune on a guitar so he's in good company. I am leaving percussion, Cajon and such around the home and some guitars, mandolins, fiddles, banjos about in case some forget theirs. I have no idea how it will go, wish me luck.

Hugs to @OldButBold and @PenguinMum i will save you some birthday cake. Take care.

@gennepher just what I need here a day with sunshine so we can spill into the garden, fingers crossed.

Have a great day one and all, those who are under the weather go carefully and stay comfortable as you are able.

Reactions: karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 today. Just one more coffee before doggie walking and then off to work.

Yesterday a huge fire in our village. So sad that a business has been destroyed and a member of staff injured. I did have to smile though at the rumour flying around our village - "garden centre set on fire by vandals" . What really happened was that there was a fire at Randalls Machinery, next to the Garden Centre.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and it's Part Day 70 this very day and greeted with a 5.3 by my pet Dracula.

Our homes had its Autumn Spring Clean, if one can use both seasons to describe the whirlwind of cleaning done by Mrs MC and myself? The house is full of wonderful cooking smells and we can relax before our joyous party goers arrive. Not sure how it will go, with limited space in our home I had to whittle down the hundreds I wanted to ask to 24. I decided to invite someone from each of my interest groups, folk players, classical musicians, Morris men, Choir Members, Mountain Bikers, Horse Whisperers, Motor Sport, Artists and photographers, it will either be very disastrous or brilliant. Of course I have asked musicians to bring instruments, photographers cameras and artists sketch pads, I told the Horse Whisperer to leave his horses at home, I had to draw a line somewhere however he can knock out a good tune on a guitar so he's in good company. I am leaving percussion, Cajon and such around the home and some guitars, mandolins, fiddles, banjos about in case some forget theirs. I have no idea how it will go, wish me luck.

Hugs to @OldButBold and @PenguinMum i will save you some birthday cake. Take care.

@gennepher just what I need here a day with sunshine so we can spill into the garden, fingers crossed.

Have a great day one and all, those who are under the weather go carefully and stay comfortable as you are able.
Happy birthday and enjoy the party. Sounds as though you have it all well under control and the eclectic mix should make for a memorable time.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hugs oldbutbold x