What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...such a lot to catch up with on this thread doing my best but I fear failing miserably...still haven't got my sleep pattern regular yet (if it ever was) bed at 00:30 up at 05;05...took Georgia back to London yesterday & managed a good drive each way that makes a welcome change...lounged around yesterday so still lots to do here...a short trip to the bank & a large food shop have friends for dinner tomorrow...woke to a 6.7 (and I know exactly why but I'm not divulging that;)).

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good morning all :)

4.6 today

it's a soggy looking morning here but at least it's not too cold ;)

I was going to go out and ask about the flu jab price today, my health practice says I'm not entitled to a free one yet since I'm considered 'in remission', but since I still have a bit of the 'lurg' so I'm going to stay inside and try to sort out some of my knitting wool (I may be some time :hilarious: ,) and then will start to use up some of the smaller bits making a few baby sweaters and cardigans to put in the Xmas charity shoe boxes over the next couple of weeks.

Hope your day treats you well :)

It might be worth checking out your local health board’s policies on this. I found my own GP practice refused me some meds because they said I wasn’t entitled. But because I have Sjögren’s Syndrome, I was entitled and the hospital sent letters and phone calls to GP to say I was entitled. But GP still refused. And it was a few meds I couldn’t afford. In the end I employed a patient’s advocate who armed with all the rules and regulations helped me point out to the GP I was entitled under page whatever of this booklet, and I was entitled under page something else from this booklet etc. You get the picture.

So with the flu jab, find out what your area’s local health board recommends. Also do you have asthma or maybe a compromised immune system? I don’t get the flu jab because of diabetes, but because of those two things.

Also you could ask your pharmacist what he knows that the GP should allow you. My pharmacist has been very very helpful on various occasions.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all - 3 hours later for me today. @trick60 another in the excellent run of fasting levels - good man. @Muddy Cyclist lovely photos from your ride and sympathy for the higher than expected/warranted fbg. @SaskiaKC the time spent with horses would be a tonic for you and useful for the charity - win, win (accomplish that which I purpose,and succeed in the task I gave it Isaiah 55). So, fbg of 5.3 which is a bit meh but serviceable in many ways. Weight still wants to be higher than I want (11 st 12 lbs for BMI 22.4) but slept until 6.15. 2 grandchildren here today and meal with No1 son and them later so whatever numbers the meter spits out mean naff all against that. Have a great day.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is so cool that you love the smell of the stables. :) I do too -- and whenever I get out of the car at one, that first breath always takes me back to 1963 and my first lesson barn. I once had a non-horsey friend; we drove out to the barn (different lesson barn) after church one Sunday for me to sign up as a show volunteer -- i rolled the car windows down for her since she didn't want to get out of the car in her Sunday shoes -- she begged me to roll them right up back up because of the "horrible smell"!!!??? :D :D :D

Haha I can well imagine your friend’s dismay! smell is so evocative though isn’t it? The stable smell obviously reminds you of wonderful horsey times. I used to help daughter muck out and I have lovely happy memories too.
I do hope you can get back into that world Saskia it would be so good for you soul.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 7.5 this morning which is probably because I ate double helping Spanish chicken casserole last night. I was going to freeze the extra but we were both enjoying it so dished it up instead. So cautionary day ahead. I rang the hospital yesterday about my poor care at the eye unit last week and they said write to the consultant. This morning eye still very red and sore so OH thinks I should go back. That does not fit in with my plans for the next few days though. I am off to Kent to dog sit on Friday and staying over till Sunday. @gennepher hope you enjoy your meet up with friends and just as you wouldnt choose their meal the reverse is true. @Muddy Cyclist gorgeous autumn scenes in your pics. I think we have had so much rain here our trees are behind those which means raking leaves up to Christmas. @geefull I am off to the pharmacy for my flu jab this morning and I shall be ticking the diabetes box as I did last year despite “remission” as I believe I still have Diabetes but instead of meds I am diet controlled. After all the eye unit treating my BRVO tells me it is caused by my Diabetes. I am sorry you were turned down and dont understand how it can be right.
Phew...hope you all have a good Wednesday. Stay well, stay safe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 7.5 this morning which is probably because I ate double helping Spanish chicken casserole last night. I was going to freeze the extra but we were both enjoying it so dished it up instead. So cautionary day ahead. I rang the hospital yesterday about my poor care at the eye unit last week and they said write to the consultant. This morning eye still very red and sore so OH thinks I should go back. That does not fit in with my plans for the next few days though. I am off to Kent to dog sit on Friday and staying over till Sunday. @gennepher hope you enjoy your meet up with friends and just as you wouldnt choose their meal the reverse is true. @Muddy Cyclist gorgeous autumn scenes in your pics. I think we have had so much rain here our trees are behind those which means raking leaves up to Christmas. @geefull I am off to the pharmacy for my flu jab this morning and I shall be ticking the diabetes box as I did last year despite “remission” as I believe I still have Diabetes but instead of meds I am diet controlled. After all the eye unit treating my BRVO tells me it is caused by my Diabetes. I am sorry you were turned down and dont understand how it can be right.
Friendly and caring post. Hug for eye problem and none too helpful response from hospital. Sounds as though Spanish chicken casserole is a big hit chez PM so forget the fbg as chaff.

Last edited:

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it..."

T'was akin to Christmas morn and my expectations ran high. I'd been a good boy and was promised my reward, though delayed, would appear.

Yeah, nah... 6.3 this morning ;)

All the plans of mice and men mean nought in this arena. A crumpet, a crumpet, my kingdom for a crumpet!

In the words of the great sage...

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. ~ Lao Tzu

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a day you have had but glad you enjoyed the walk and sunshine. Great idea to spend some time with horses, beautiful creatures. Of all the horses we owned two in particular were very special both mares, gentle and protective. When you acheive that bond between human and horse when they seem to anticipate your every move and thought it's a tremendous honour a relationship very different to that with a dog or cat, I feel greatfull that I have been able to experience it. Hope you can get some hands on and do some grooming and yes that horsey smell, good for the soul.

After this morning's Mountain Bike ride I was inspired to do some watercolour painting but Mrs MC had other ideas and we spent the afternoon walking around Shugborough Hall which is on our doorstep, Autumn is settling in and the late afternoon sun was glorious, this is Mrs MC walking through the gardens and trees and a toadstool and cyclist from this mornings ride.

View attachment 36345
Great colours - got to love autumn for “the fall”.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. 7.5 this morning which is probably because I ate double helping Spanish chicken casserole last night. I was going to freeze the extra but we were both enjoying it so dished it up instead. So cautionary day ahead. I rang the hospital yesterday about my poor care at the eye unit last week and they said write to the consultant. This morning eye still very red and sore so OH thinks I should go back. That does not fit in with my plans for the next few days though. I am off to Kent to dog sit on Friday and staying over till Sunday. @gennepher hope you enjoy your meet up with friends and just as you wouldnt choose their meal the reverse is true.....

Thank you @PenguinMum

Lots of healing hugs for your eye. To be told to write to the consultant doesn’t sound the most helpful response. That takes time. I go to my optometrist if I am still unhappy after eye treatment at the hospital. So far he has reassured me all is okay as regards what to i am worried about. I do live in Wales so I can do that.

I hope your eye settles the way it should do.

More healing hugs. And take care.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely photos! I want to head up that leafy trail on a feathered cob. ...

Wonder who's been munching on that magic mushroom? :)
Looks like Fly Agaric - broken up into a dish of milk to attract and kill flies - don’t lick your fingers - nasty belly ache but not a known killer.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

T'was akin to Christmas morn and my expectations ran high. I'd been a good boy and was promised my reward, though delayed, would appear.

All the plans of mice and men mean nought in this arena. A crumpet, a crumpet, my kingdom for a crumpet!

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. ~ Lao Tzu

And some hugs for you too. Your post made me smile :)

upload_2019-10-23_8-18-45.gif

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.5

Still dark out there.

Got an interesting day ahead...

Meeting friends I have not seen in over a year.

A year ago I was shutting everyone out of my life. It was to do with my cochlear implant not working properly and I couldn't cope. Anyway enough said on that.

Anyway, a text last night saying meet for a meal. It's in an unusual place...

Might let you in on that tomorrow!

But one of them is a nurse who advocates low fat high carbs for diabetes....

See if I am strong enough today to stand my ground with her. It is going to be obvious from my choice of food that I will be eating healthy fat and low carbs....

So all of you have a good assertive day today. I am not of the school of being quiet as a mouse, but I fight my corner, instead of saying yes sir no sir and thinking what an a*******

Which is the easy way of doing something...

Anyway have the best day you possibly can, and add a few helpings of 'this is going to be an amazing day' !!!
Do your thing - have a great time of it.

Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Really need philosophical and stoic ratings. Never mind Lao Tzu the great philosopher George Ezra has it
Our situations must be dire
Our situation must be over the creek
Haunted we speak, over the creek
Haunted we speak
I can't of left you
I still haven't met you
As for crumpets (and LC in general)
Oh nonetheless I must confess that I'm the mess
That has been left
Well nonetheless I must confess that I'm the mess that
Has been left to save you

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, it’s national bin day here in the dark and dangerous north (on my street and on this occasion at least if you want to be picky).

The wonder wheel of night time roller coaster rides and fence sitting couldn’t decide this morning so just went with the word”LO” and a red screen. I estimate 3 and that was on a rise! So finger prick - not much help - Calling liver, calling liver, wake up liver. - now 5.9 - thanks liver, you show off.

Now I am just wondering about this Patagonian warble fly with cow pats as promoted by @ianpspurs. I tried it last night and it certainly lowers your blood sugars. I think it’s a goer for those who want the high life and a quick and easy fix in the sugar lowering department. I have future hopes for this dish if I can just get on dragons den -must improve the flavour and smell though first.

Have a great day if you can, keep some of your time to yourself.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am off to the pharmacy for my flu jab this morning and I shall be ticking the diabetes box as I did last year despite “remission” as I believe I still have Diabetes but instead of meds I am diet controlled. After all the eye unit treating my BRVO tells me it is caused by my Diabetes
I went to my pharmacy for my flu jab far less fuss...we are still considered diabetic even in remission we're constantly told we cannot reverse it we control it...so I don't understand why geefull cannot have a flu jab on the NHS...going to do some research after all there may be others in the same predicament who cannot access the jab on the NHS.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I am just wondering about this Patagonian warble fly with cow pats as promoted by @ianpspurs. I tried it last night and it certainly lowers your blood sugars. I think it’s a goer for those who want the high life and a quick and easy fix in the sugar lowering department. I have future hopes for this dish if I can just get on dragons den -must improve the flavour and smell though first.
Good man yourself for the day of living dangerously. Smell is part of the attraction IMHO. Never mind Dragons Den, put it on Diet Doctor and rather than O spaientia you'll garner a few O Saps as loyal followers.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: DJC3

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. ~ Lao Tzu
And they sure do! How boring life would be if we always got what we expected, its more exciting living on the edge.
@PenguinMum sorry to hear your eye is still painful hugs and I hope some relief soon.
@ianpspurs enjoy the time with your family, always time well spent.