What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@karen8967 these little motivational posters have an uncanny way of saying things I know I should be thinking and doing. Who exactly are you and what superpower enables you to know so much about my weaknesses?:arghh: Then @Muddy Cyclist posts that - are you 2 a double act dedicated to seeing me as "a project?" Starting to scare me pooless.:(

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Much in this article to agree with IMHO. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...lness-industry-selling-healthy-life-expensive This passage jumped out at me: much of the media concoct the illusion that a healthy diet is obtainable only via a particular belief system. Here, the very idea of pleasurable eating is immoral. Personally, I can't see where carb counting, testing 2 hrs after eating and constantly having the next HbA1c in mind fits with pleasurable eating. The crumpet and cheese on toast schools of eating make far more sense to me.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Much in this article to agree with IMHO. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...lness-industry-selling-healthy-life-expensive This passage jumped out at me: much of the media concoct the illusion that a healthy diet is obtainable only via a particular belief system. Here, the very idea of pleasurable eating is immoral. Personally, I can't see where carb counting, testing 2 hrs after eating and constantly having the next HbA1c in mind fits with pleasurable eating. The crumpet and cheese on toast schools of eating make far more sense to me.

To me too. :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whoops!

Just got back from a good Muddy Cycle Ride managed 2 hours in glorious sunshine now it's turned dull so happy to be indoors and start some painting.

I have decided on mostly A5 and set myself a challenge to spend a max of 30 minutes on each which will make me stop fiddling around and work in a freer style.

I am painting a winter scene interpretation of yesterday's ironbridge gauge and today's ride in pine forest and silver birches for my first two, fingers crossed.
I love the idea of the silver birches one @Muddy Cyclist
I do know Cannock Chase. I used to live in Walsall as a teenager. I have wandered around there a lot in the mid 60's.

A5 and 30 minutes sounds a very attractive time limit.

I have finished my painting now for today.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Talking of particular belief systems, we can consider the values of the ravens and the other birds of the air.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking of particular belief systems, we can consider the values of the ravens and the other birds of the air.
True. However, call me out for not having the courage to follow my faith to the letter but I shan't be interpreting that passage literally just yet. Not sure ravens eat LC and Julie says I am not to dress as a Bird of Paradise ever again :angelic:

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
look forward to seeing your work.
Yes two paintings/drawings/sketches to catch up sounds brilliant!
So here are my 1st day and 2cnd day of the year efforts 1 inspired by ironbridge yesterday, no snow, houses painted out and so lots of artistic license. 2 inspired by silver birch trees on Muddy Bike ride today but again no snow or frost.

Total time 40 mins. How did you get on @gennepher ?

My iPad camera dulled them they are a bit brighter, you will have to use your imagination....

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So here are my 1st day and 2cnd day of the year efforts 1 inspired by ironbridge yesterday, no snow, houses painted out and so lots of artistic license. 2 inspired by silver birch trees on Muddy Bike ride today but again no snow or frost.

My iPad camera dulled them they are a bit brighter, you will have to use your imagination....

View attachment 37574

View attachment 37575
What a talented chap - they are amazing. Thanks so much for posting.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 37574

View attachment 37575

Absolutely brilliant @Muddy Cyclist

I love both, but the silver birch is my favourite.

Here's my today's effort.
I painted it out my first attempt this morning with black, I didn't like the way it was going. So a black canvas and then white with a little viridian. Acrylics. 300gsm A3 paper. So second effort took me about an hour once the black background was dry. I used a bristle fan brush mostly, and a plastic picnic knife because I still cannot find my palette knives...
I like this idea because it gives me the illusion I can still paint in detail!
IMG_02012020_171828_(1333_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely brilliant @Muddy Cyclist

I love both, but the silver birch is my favourite.

Here's my today's effort.
I painted it out my first attempt this morning with black, I didn't like the way it was going. So a black canvas and then white with a little viridian. Acrylics. 300gsm A3 paper. So second effort took me about an hour once the black background was dry. I used a bristle fan brush mostly, and a plastic picnic knife because I still cannot find my palette knives...
I like this idea because it gives me the illusion I can still paint in detail!
View attachment 37576
Wow, that is very good, that's lifted the game and it's only the second day of the year, love it @gennepher I also have to add I admire your signature puts my P.T.M to shame :(

Edit.... just been studying your tree, reminds me of Japanese style.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, that is very good, that's lifted the game and it's only the second day of the year, love it @gennepher I also have to add I admire your signature puts my P.T.M to shame :(

Edit.... just been studying your tree, reminds me of Japanese style.

Thank you @Muddy Cyclist
I usually put that text on via a photo app (if I post my photo/pic) to say it is mine. So it is not my signature as such! When I sign my painting it is often a silhouette of a black cat :) I don't post my actual real name or initials online.

I did do a course in traditional Chinese painting 30 years ago. I love their trees!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This passage jumped out at me: much of the media concoct the illusion that a healthy diet is obtainable only via a particular belief system. Here, the very idea of pleasurable eating is immoral. Personally, I can't see where carb counting, testing 2 hrs after eating and constantly having the next HbA1c in mind fits with pleasurable eating. The crumpet and cheese on toast schools of eating make far more sense to me.
I agree that the constant finger pricking is a pain in more ways than one.

I wonder if the people who get pleasure from the low carb way of eating are the ones who really like low csrb food.

For me - low carb food is beyond delicious and I absolutely love it. I get so much pleasure from eating now If I didn't like the food it would be really hard to stick with. As enjoying food (and my coffees,) is very important to me.

The one food heslthy low carb food I didn't enjoy was eggs (and I avoided eating them,) so I am really pleased that I can enjoy them now in pancakes as pancakes don't taste of eggs or look like eggs.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Krystyna23040, post: 2192067, member: 374421
I wonder if the people who get pleasure from the low carb way of eating are the ones who really like low csrb food. For me - low carb food is beyond delicious and I absolutely love it. .[/QUOTE]
For some time I have wondered if my struggle to like LC eating is at the root of my failure to see results. Those like yourself who achieve amazing results also seem to enjoy this WOE and I am delighted for you. No surprise I guess but hard to get round for those of us who find LC "challenging" to enjoy. Doing LC isn't the same or as successful as enjoying LC from what I have gleaned from posters on here.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Krystyna23040, post: 2192067, member: 374421
I wonder if the people who get pleasure from the low carb way of eating are the ones who really like low csrb food. For me - low carb food is beyond delicious and I absolutely love it. .
For some time I have wondered if my struggle to like LC eating is at the root of my failure to see results. Those like yourself who achieve amazing results also seem to enjoy this WOE. No surprise I guess but hard to get round for those of us who find LC "challenging" to enjoy. Doing LC doesn't seem to be as successful as enjoying LC from what I have gleaned from posters on here.[/QUOTE]
Interesting! I accept LC as equivalent to an allergy, thats what you can have and cannot. I feel very lucky that I got to this late in life when I cant eat certain things. I really miss going to Pizza Express a few times a year with Mr PM and how tricky it is to go out to the pub for just a drink or a meal. But I got to this age and I have had all the things I like to eat for so long its unreasonable to moan IMHO. I am odd btw!

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing LC isn't the same or as successful as enjoying LC from what I have gleaned from posters on here.
With you there. I struggle but persevere. I know and have seen how this disease silently destroys us, my mom, I fear that deteriation enough to put up with the discomfort of LC, I love eating and the social activity that surrounds it and constantly try and find ways to keep that enjoyment, some work others don't, but that fear of what Type 2 could deliver drives me on and IMO the pain of fingerpricking, adjusting diet, giving up some of my favourite snacks in the hope of prolonged healthier years of life is well worth the inconvenience. Life is a precious gift and needs to be looked after, I only wish I had learnt that lesson earlier.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For some time I have wondered if my struggle to like LC eating is at the root of my failure to see results. Those like yourself who achieve amazing results also seem to enjoy this WOE. No surprise I guess but hard to get round for those of us who find LC "challenging" to enjoy. Doing LC doesn't seem to be as successful as enjoying LC from what I have gleaned from posters on here.
Interesting! I accept LC as equivalent to an allergy, thats what you can have and cannot. I feel very lucky that I got to this late in life when I cant eat certain things. I really miss going to Pizza Express a few times a year with Mr PM and how tricky it is to go out to the pub for just a drink or a meal. But I got to this age and I have had all the things I like to eat for so long its unreasonable to moan IMHO. I am odd btw![/QUOTE]

I wish I had your discipline. :)