What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have heard of Quality Street but I have no idea what a Milk Tray lime barrel is, which means I can enjoy reading all these posts and not crave any of the goodies. Including the mysterious Purples.
Just a little while ago, in the grocery store, I learned that Tim Tam is not the only the name of the winner of the 1958 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, but also a yummy goody of some sort, displayed on a UK shelf in the International section.
He was a kind of chocolate-colored horse.

dca80d071f0628a7f8be604e6aae71a9.jpg

The Tim Tams at the store reminded me of George Harrison's song "Savoy Truffle" on the white album.
Is/was there a brand of chocolates called Good News?

This is sort of what my mind's eye came up with for a Milk Tray lime barrel. I know it's way off ...

5647663a-3ae6-4db1-bd88-75d3a48c30ea_1.2b1a949ec72d79eb178437212805072a.jpeg

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a great day, spent with granddaughter in Stratford Upon Avon. Much time spent in Butterfly House, largest in Europe amazing.....
Closed a Leaf. Open beautiful
IMG_2387.JPG

On getting back and meeting my challenge for a painting a day I decided on a recent walk on my favourite Welsh Mountain, for its shape rather than height. There was no snow on it when I was there a few weeks ago so again artistic license, A5 size and 34 mins, a little over my self inflicted allowed 30 min a painting.

IMG_2382.JPG

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SaskiaKC a Milk Tray lime barrel was a barrel shaped chocolate with a sticky runny lime type cordial inside. You had to put the whole thing in your mouth to avoid getting the runny lime down your front. The Purples are a hazelnut surrounded by runny caramel encased in milk chocolate.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to know what you eat. I don't like eggs anymore, and while I do love meat, I don't think I should eat much of it at all because of the fat.
@SaskiaKC For breakfast I mix up kefir, inulin and ground flaxseeds then put some Greek yoghurt on top plus a small amount of raspberries or blackberries and a sprinkling of flaked almonds.

Or I make @gennepher's pancake recipe and top it with the greek yogurt and berries - it's delicious and at last I am eating eggs again.

My favourite main meal is to stir fry some asparagus, cabbage, mushrooms, tenderstem broccoli etc. in butter then throw in some cooked chicken. To vary it I add some chilli sauce.

another favourite is stilton cheese and nuts plus a salad in the summer or in the winter I would have my homemade spinach, kale and broccoli soup sprinkled with grated parmesan instead of the salad.

Husband likes red meat so he slow cooks shoulder of lamb or a joint of beef and we have it with stir fry veggies. I will often have chicken instead as I am not that keen on red meat - although I am beginning to think that the lamb is quite nice.

Large mushrooms filled with stilton or cheddar cheese with stir fried veggies is another favourite. Or halloumi fried with a salad or some veggies cooked in butter.

Today for my main meal I made a pancake with two eggs and cut it in half. One half I spread with almond butter and the other I spread with a little greek yoghurt and five blackberries - very filling and delicious.

Probably should eat more fish at home. When eating out I like sea bream or trout.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You two would have been fine here. I don't ever remember anything with a soft centre, other than a caramel, being eaten. I do remember the boys eating 1 tin each of Roses and Quality Street (minus soft centres) well before Christmas - not a wrapper as evidence anywhere.

My dad would approach a box of chocolates by pushing his finger into the top of each one - he only liked hard centres so if he broke the top he’d leave the chocolate there, if it didn’t break he’d eat it. By the time we children got a look in the box was full of squished chocolates!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a great day, spent with granddaughter in Stratford Upon Avon. Much time spent in Butterfly House, largest in Europe amazing.....
Closed a Leaf. Open beautiful
View attachment 37607

On getting back and meeting my challenge for a painting a day I decided on a recent walk on my favourite Welsh Mountain, for its shape rather than height. There was no snow on it when I was there a few weeks ago so again artistic license, A5 size and 34 mins, a little over my self inflicted allowed 30 min a painting.

View attachment 37608
That leaf butterfly is amazing @Muddy Cyclist
You are very good at representing snow with watercolour.
An effective painting. I like it very much.
I spent too much money on fan brushes today!

Reactions: HarryBeau

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I tried LCHF my weight went down (good), BP went down (also good), but my LDL went up (bad).
Have read on this site that cholesterol goes up temporarily when you lose weight, but it goes back down once your weight is stabilised. I think (if my memory is working properly this evening) cholesterol is released when stored fat is got rid off - but it only happens in the weight loss phase and goes back to normal levels when the weight loss stabilises.

This definitely happened to me when I lost weight - but cholesterol then stabilised and has been OK since.

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think Dennis must have a bit of Labrador soul, the way he looks at us all through mealtimes just waiting for a bit to drop. We used to laugh at our old dog who always sat under the chair of the messiest eater. For ages it was the youngest granddaughter but when she got to about 5yo she (the dog) started sitting under Mr C’s seat instead - caused great hilarity. By the way your earlier post about how low carb has changed your life was really terrific. Being at such an advanced stage of diabetes and yet still managing to come off insulin is truly remarkable and inspirational. Have you posted in the Success Stories thread? ( I haven’t looked yet to see)
Husband jokes that our kitchen floor is really easy to wash because the dogs clear up every crumb that drops on the floor when he is cooking. It was funny that your old dog sat under the chair of the messiest eater - quite useful too.

I haven't got round to posting on the Success Stories thread yet. I need to make sure that I really won't ever need to go back on the insulin and that this is not a temporary thing. Am probably being overcautious.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That leaf butterfly is amazing @Muddy Cyclist
You are very good at representing snow with watercolour.
An effective painting. I like it very much.
I spent too much money on fan brushes today!

Thank you @gennepher snow is very easy just don't paint the paper and it saves on paint :joyful:

Yes the butterfly was incredible the whole place was filled with many huge butterflies of all colours many landed on you quite beautiful. There was also ropes going across the spaces with leaf cutter ants carrying leaves to their nest, really a good place to visit.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Husband jokes that our kitchen floor is really easy to wash because the dogs clear up every crumb that drops on the floor when he is cooking. It was funny that your old dog sat under the chair of the messiest eater - quite useful too.

I haven't got round to posting on the Success Stories thread yet. I need to make sure that I really won't ever need to go back on the insulin and that this is not a temporary thing. Am probably being overcautious.

I can understand your trepidation, but the fact you’ve come off it is a success, full stop! Whatever happens in the future is still to be seen but will never take away from your remarkable achievement. I hope you do post, I’m sure you will inspire many others.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC a Milk Tray lime barrel was a barrel shaped chocolate with a sticky runny lime type cordial inside. You had to put the whole thing in your mouth to avoid getting the runny lime down your front. The Purples are a hazelnut surrounded by runny caramel encased in milk chocolate.

Thank you. :) They both sound delicious. And the Milk Tray lime barrel sounds similar to a chocolate-covered cherry. (?)

pap_dark_cherry-web.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have read on this site that cholesterol goes up temporarily when you lose weight, but it goes back down once your weight is stabilised. I think (if my memory is working properly this evening) cholesterol is released when stored fat is got rid off - but it only happens in the weight loss phase and goes back to normal levels when the weight loss stabilises.

This definitely happened to me when I lost weight - but cholesterol then stabilised and has been OK since.

Thank you. That is reassuring. I'm glad it happened to you. :)
I bought some more low-carb foods at the store today and I am going to try LCHF again between now and my next doc's appointment on the 22nd of this month.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My favorite chocolate is just a piece of solid chocolate, preferably dark chocolate. I will eat it with nuts, but, like @DJC3 's dad, I want to know what's inside a piece of boxed chocolate. I never liked fruit centers, except the ones Mama made every Christmas, that looked like these:

maraschino-truffles-b1b.jpg

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs and @PenguinMum I have never had any but orange marmalade. I loved it and I miss it. Lime marmalade sounds even better -- lime is one of my second-favorite flavors, right below chocolate.
My favourite used to be homemade Pink Grapefruit Marmalade, still is probably but since my diagnosis in April I have not dared touch it. :(

Reactions: HarryBeau