What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually I omitted probably one of the most important reasons why LC is a joy. I was on fast and long acting insulin for 4 years and was almost in despair at ever matching insulin dose to carbs.

Probably because of fluctuating levels of insulin resistance I found that the same meal on different days required wildly different amounts of insulin which could result in either going hypo or hyper and having to correct with glucose tablets or more insulin. It was so difficult and there was absolutely no joy in eating. To put it mildly l was in despair at ever sorting it.

I started low carb as a way of stopping these huge swings. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would get me off insulin.

I believe (and my DN agrees) that because my diabetes was at such an advanced stage it is pretty miraculous that I don't need insulin. Every day without insulin makes me feel so lucky and happy - especially as I love almost all low carb food (except eggs - yuk).

I would love to know what you eat. I don't like eggs anymore, and while I do love meat, I don't think I should eat much of it at all because of the fat.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bit rushed .
Managed painting.
It is a bit rough. But it is A3 size.
I spent an hour on it.
Phone camera makes it a wee bit gaudy. Is a wee little more muted than this.
But doing this larger painting is relaxing and frees tension I feel. I am relaxed now for the long day ahead @Muddy Cyclist
Having a quick coffee, then on the road...
View attachment 37594

I need to read back later on this discussing/posts on low carb ....

Beautiful. :)

Reading your and @Muddy Cyclist 's painting posts I felt inspired last night to discipline myself to do some writing today. Now the inspiration is kicking in again. And since I have just finished my coffee, I will get up and at 'em .... shower, grocery shopping, back home, and to work with pen or keyboard ...

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon all :)

4.3 today

been out to top up shopping, it's cold and wet here :sorry:

Over to mum's to give Katy her worming tablet (we get all the good jobs :hilarious:) and have discovered that a tiny bit of Peanut butter is our friend when it comes to Katy and tablets :D all peanut, no sugar or additives of course ;)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
As an afterthought DJCI should tell you my friend has said they are leaving their Christmas tree up an extra day...why...in case Harry wants to pee on it...on his first visit three years ago he peed on their tree they thought it was hilarious...I was mortified!
Brilliant, HarryBeau! Made me smile:).

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As an afterthought DJCI should tell you my friend has said they are leaving their Christmas tree up an extra day...why...in case Harry wants to pee on it...on his first visit three years ago he peed on their tree they thought it was hilarious...I was mortified!

Wow this made me laugh! What lovely people, they obviously have a brilliant outlook on life a It’s for living and laughing. I wonder if he’ll do it again?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1577965993847.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to post fbg today. It was 6.3 and has risen steadily ever since. Bah!
@Krystyna23040 I think Dennis must have a bit of Labrador soul, the way he looks at us all through mealtimes just waiting for a bit to drop. We used to laugh at our old dog who always sat under the chair of the messiest eater. For ages it was the youngest granddaughter but when she got to about 5yo she (the dog) started sitting under Mr C’s seat instead - caused great hilarity. By the way your earlier post about how low carb has changed your life was really terrific. Being at such an advanced stage of diabetes and yet still managing to come off insulin is truly remarkable and inspirational. Have you posted in the Success Stories thread? ( I haven’t looked yet to see)
@PenguinMum hugs for the Big Purple induced nightmare. I used to love those too but I’m now taking heart in the fact you said they were disappointing. I completely get the ‘wanting to eat them quickly to get rid of temptation’ thing.
@dunelm hugs for the lurgy, a lot of it about - middle daughter and partner currently looking v sorry for themselves and dosed up with paracetamol, both back to work next week so it seems a shame not to be able to enjoy the last days off.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow this made me laugh! What lovely people, they obviously have a brilliant outlook on life a It’s for living and laughing. I wonder if he’ll do it again?
They are great friends DJC & animal lovers...I expect Harry may mark his territory again because Frankie (a lovely but cossetted) cavalier King Charles will give Harry little peace when he arrives until he leaves...a mark of dominance.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beautiful. :)

Reading your and @Muddy Cyclist 's painting posts I felt inspired last night to discipline myself to do some writing today. Now the inspiration is kicking in again. And since I have just finished my coffee, I will get up and at 'em .... shower, grocery shopping, back home, and to work with pen or keyboard ...

Sounds good @SaskiaKC
upload_2020-1-3_17-14-16.gif

upload_2020-1-3_17-16-20.gif

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O/T lots of my posts seem to be downbeat - (well I support Spurs and watch England cricketers bat). Here is a story that I found upbeat and cheered me up https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-50982708. Hope it chases away the purples blues @PenguinMum :)
Yes I saw it on the news at lunchtime and it warmed the cockles. These things are what matter and I bet they would have done without the money for the boy to be well. What purples blues ;)...I am more worried about the men rulers on opposite sides of the world and their idle complacency! Love, health and peace rule for me.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to post fbg today. It was 6.3 and has risen steadily ever since. Bah!
@Krystyna23040 I think Dennis must have a bit of Labrador soul, the way he looks at us all through mealtimes just waiting for a bit to drop. We used to laugh at our old dog who always sat under the chair of the messiest eater. For ages it was the youngest granddaughter but when she got to about 5yo she (the dog) started sitting under Mr C’s seat instead - caused great hilarity. By the way your earlier post about how low carb has changed your life was really terrific. Being at such an advanced stage of diabetes and yet still managing to come off insulin is truly remarkable and inspirational. Have you posted in the Success Stories thread? ( I haven’t looked yet to see)
@PenguinMum hugs for the Big Purple induced nightmare. I used to love those too but I’m now taking heart in the fact you said they were disappointing. I completely get the ‘wanting to eat them quickly to get rid of temptation’ thing.
@dunelm hugs for the lurgy, a lot of it about - middle daughter and partner currently looking v sorry for themselves and dosed up with paracetamol, both back to work next week so it seems a shame not to be able to enjoy the last days off.
Tbh I think all commercial chocolate has changed and seem more sugary and samey. We always enjoyed Roses but when they all started tasting the same gave up on them. As a child I used to love to dip into a box of Milk Tray and they all had unique flavours...remember Lime Barrel and Coffee Creme? The selector of Giandju pralines at HC is my current fave and only 6 so cant get into too much trouble!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
03-01-2020
5.7 BG this morning.
However it's weighing day and the scales tell a sad tale of weight lost over Xmas and New Year. I was trying not to overdo it, but at this rate I will soon beat my all time low as an adult.
So bring on the coffee with cream, and the bacon, eggs and mushrooms.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tbh I think all commercial chocolate has changed and seem more sugary and samey. We always enjoyed Roses but when they all started tasting the same gave up on them. As a child I used to love to dip into a box of Milk Tray and they all had unique flavours...remember Lime Barrel and Coffee Creme? The selector of Giandju pralines at HC is my current fave and only 6 so cant get into too much trouble!

I was talking about the Milk Tray lime barrel only yesterday, what a coincidence! No one else seems to remember it but it was my absolute favourite too. I agree it all started to go downhill when they stopped making it.

Reactions: Debandez

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was talking about the Milk Tray lime barrel only yesterday, what a coincidence! No one else seems to remember it but it was my absolute favourite too. I agree it all started to go downhill when they stopped making it.
You two would have been fine here. I don't ever remember anything with a soft centre, other than a caramel, being eaten. I do remember the boys eating 1 tin each of Roses and Quality Street (minus soft centres) well before Christmas - not a wrapper as evidence anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You two would have been fine here. I don't ever remember anything with a soft centre, other than a caramel, bring eaten. I do remember the boys eating 1 tin each of Roses and Quality Street (minus soft centres) well before Christmas - not a wrapper as evidence anywhere.
Ithi k they changed the barrel to runny caramel probs based on the huge success of said bar when launched. Up to a few years ago Si used to make up the boys rooms with Christmas beddi g, decorations, a small tree and a tub of chocs on the end of the bed. This was the first Christmas they didnt receive their presents in the Santa sacks (nicerthan you might imagine with a sleigh bell attached. Will keep for any future littlies.