What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had a delivery which involved a card board box...unwrapped the items & before you could say 'fish' they were in it...in the background you can see their expensive cave bed EMPTY...ironically when they were rescued because they were found in a cardboard box & new kittens names were in short supply their names were 'Cardboard & Box' I guess it must be in the genes.

cardboard box.JPG

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Thanks all for your kind responses. GP says it's a case of trial and error re my sore mouth, including possible relation to my diabetes, so has given me drops to use 4x/ day and asked me to see my dentist too then get back to him. Appointment made at dentist's for next Friday. I hope it gets sorted soon as it's getting really painful to eat/ drink. Had a mixed salad last week containing a few chopped red onions. Very healthy but felt like acid burning the inside of my mouth!:arghh: Can't wait to have a coffee/ tea without having to wait for it to cool down.:)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
like acid burning the inside of my mouth!
Are you able to use any kind of mouth wash?...wondering if you could tolerate a warm salt water solution...likely to sting a little but may give you some relief in the coming week...it does sound like some kind of infection IMHO hope those drops are the solution & give you some respite.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Who in their right mind is going to go through all the trouble of keeping farm animals if no one buys the product anymore, or there's no enough profit in it to keep going... Mining ring a bell.?

Sheep farming rings a bell. I read something years ago about sheep and wool being replaced by PolarTek and other synthetic fleeces. The Prince of Wales wrote something about a breed of sheep who did not have to be clipped. I wish I remembered more details.
The areas around Birmingham, Alabama have coal mines. In my lifetime I have never known of anyone who used coal as a fuel in their home. I do know of one huge coal mine that either ran out or was closed for some other reason and the land was "developed" into an extensive, exclusive gated residential community with gates and guards and a golf club. Lovely landscape, but not open to the public to enjoy. And most of the residents leave their cars in the garage and drive around the community in electric golf carts.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...great (unplanned) excitement here yesterday evening as I was helping Liv with her homework...as we finished 'Plumpy' arrived at the back door crying desperately to come in...we're doing staged introductions with Harry & the kittens..so in comes Harry got him settled in his chair the beasties were looking on with interest...all was going well until I turned round and stepped on the beasts ball tower a kind of Helter Skelter contraption with balls that whizz round...BOOM! straight down to the floor right onto my left knee thankfully not the dodgy one...poor Liv didn't know what to do...Harry decided he would save me leapt off his chair jumped on me licking & slobbering furiously doing his best first aid work...the kittens fled...Liv wasn't sure whether to rescue me from Harry or the floor...like a Laurel & Hardy short film...finally got to my feet bruised but intact...then the laughing began...needed several glasses of prosecco with Liv's mum to fully recover...possibly the reason for my 6.8 on waking?

s0210.gif
for the story
t4614.gif
for the fall

t0314.gif
t0306.gif
for the full recovery!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its morning again in "little America" Slew of different fbgs but going with 5.9. Too high by a long way but big picture and all that. Resting pulse in a good place, sleep score good for me - 36th valentines day with Julie. Stepped outside to put a carton in the bin - bird songs and the lights plus billions of tax dollars of awesome/terrifying hardware clearly visible. Then Valentines day commemorates a Martyrdom in 269 so today the theme is duality. Nice young man coming to replace kitchen appliances. Collecting, feeding and transporting our grandson to stage school in Newmarket. Then smartly off to the other US airbase at Lakenheath to babysit youngest grandchild - 9 month old poorly little girl - so her mum and dad can celebrate Valentine's at Lord Iveagh's little pub/restaurant/hotel. Kind of why we moved here really. A day to remember Cyril and Methodius - but you knew that already didn't ya?

Ah, yes, Cyril and Methodius. Good men ... used to play for ... (scuttles off to Google Cyril and Methodius ... )

It is good to hear that your move to be near your family is already working out well for all of you. The love of family is a huge blessing for the family and can be a gift to all the world if everyone would just follow suit.

How on earth did the commemoration of a martyr become an occasion for chocolates, roses without thorns or fragrance, and candy kisses?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for your kind responses. GP says it's a case of trial and error re my sore mouth, including possible relation to my diabetes, so has given me drops to use 4x/ day and asked me to see my dentist too then get back to him. Appointment made at dentist's for next Friday. I hope it gets sorted soon as it's getting really painful to eat/ drink. Had a mixed salad last week containing a few chopped red onions. Very healthy but felt like acid burning the inside of my mouth!:arghh: Can't wait to have a coffee/ tea without having to wait for it to cool down.:)

I hope the drops will help and also the visit to your dentist. I think there is no pain worse than pain in the mouth.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Are you able to use any kind of mouth wash?...wondering if you could tolerate a warm salt water solution...likely to sting a little but may give you some relief in the coming week...it does sound like some kind of infection IMHO hope those drops are the solution & give you some respite.
Thanks @HarryBeau for taking the time to offer advice. I have been using mouthwashes for the past few weeks, both salt and antibacterial as suggested by the nurse practitioner 4 weeks ago but no success. Never had anything like this before. Usually minor mouth problems resolve themselves really quickly. The lining of my mouth is swollen/ red and sore and mouth very dry despite lots of water to drink. Blood sugars are above normal but not at a high enough level that you'd expect to cause such a problem. Just taken my first of my drops so fingers crossed.:)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am happier this afternoon than I have been in a long time. A neighbor drove me 20 miles to the DDS (Dept. of Drivers' Services) where I was able to renew my driver's license. It is a very nice place and it all went very quickly and smoothly -- except for my inability to figure out the electronic card reader to pay for my license! I think the woman was thinking "This woman has absolutely no business being behind the wheel of a car!" but she was very patient and nice, and I was very pleased to pass the eye exam.
Then we drove another few miles to a wonderful saddlery shop I have been wanting to visit for 7 years, which was as horsey as I have been for more than 3 years. It is interesting to see how the saddles and bridles and bits have changed over the years while remaining essentially the same as they were 57 years ago when I first started riding hunt seat.
THEN we went to an art supply store where my neighbor shopped for some new pens, and I browsed among the painting supplies, @gennepher and @Muddy Cyclist . I saw big brushes and little brushes, pointed brushes and flat brushes, slanted brushes, and spread-eagle brushes. I saw tubes of watercolors (before this thread I had not even know that watercolors came in tubes), and bottles of Aquarelle Liquid Watercolors that looked to me like bottles of India ink. And bottles of Odorless Fat and Odorless Lean.
I challenged myself to go down the staircase at the art shop, because I was feeling so encouraged by the DDS experience and the tack shop -- my neighbor kept telling me I could have taken the elevator and I kept telling her "I know but I wanted to challenge myself" and I made it all the way down! (We took the elevator back up afterwards.)
All in all a very nice day out, 2 1/2 hours of road trip there and back again, and the traffic was not horrible and we only got sort-of lost once. And my phone figured out right where we were and got us out of the cul-de-sac and back to the main road. And Google Maps got us to the tack shop and back to the highway.
It has given me a lot of confidence for next week's even longer road trip to the little town to meet with the apartment manager there.

Sounds like a really good outing Saskia , so glad you got your drivers licence renewed and well done for challenging yourself with the stairs. You must have been in heaven in the saddlery shop, was the smell the same - All leather and polish?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke to 5.3 this morning but forgot to post, now I am waaay behind again.
A quick skim through shows me that @dogslife could do with a hug for sore mouth, I hope the drops help. Are there any white plaques which could indicate a yeast infection?
@HarryBeau hugs and laughter over your slapstick ‘gentle’ introduction of Harry to C&L Prosecco seems to be the answer to a lot of life’s ups and downs.
@ianpspurs it sounds like the settling in has begun in earnest, being near all my family is the best thing ever, I’m very happy for you.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woke to 5.3 this morning but forgot to post, now I am waaay behind again.
A quick skim through shows me that @dogslife could do with a hug for sore mouth, I hope the drops help. Are there any white plaques which could indicate a yeast infection?
@HarryBeau hugs and laughter over your slapstick ‘gentle’ introduction of Harry to C&L Prosecco seems to be the answer to a lot of life’s ups and downs.
@ianpspurs it sounds like the settling in has begun in earnest, being near all my family is the best thing ever, I’m very happy for you.
Thanks,@DJC3. No obvious signs of white plaques or thrush but the drops are anti-fungal--worth a try as antibacterial mouthwashes haven't helped. :)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Oh dear @Cumberland

Someone told me Coleman's mustard. The ready mixed in a jar. Because my toes were hurting so badly with the peripheral neuropathy. I couldn't take it any longer at that time. She said to rub the Coleman's mustard into my toes. I didn't believe, but I bought a jar, put it in the bathroom, then oneday when I was wishing my toes could be amputated because of the pain, I sat on the throne, and rubbed the mustard into my toes.

It worked brilliantly for me. It took away the worst of the pain.

Why it had to be Coleman's I don't know, but she insisted it had to be Coleman's. So now it lives on the bathroom ledge behind the throne.
Painkillers don't work for me with the peripheral neuropathy in my toes. They are a waste of time for me.

View attachment 38533

Hello

Thank you for this post
Can I ask if the whole of your feet hurt or just the toes?

I understand when you say that you wanted your toes amputated, with me it’s all of my feet to the ankle I keep saying to my doc to chop the bleeders off

Pain varies from stinging nettle sensation, pins and needles, to stabbing or slicing with a sharp knife

I’ll be looking for Colman’s mustard next time in Tesco

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs MC spent the afternoon cooking tarts with our granddaughter so I snook off to do a watercolour painting, then snook back to be the Nave of Hearts, I'm sure Dracula will see I pay for it later.

So here is my watercolour, A4 took just over one and a half hours not counting the sky drying time. Inspired by all the ploughing on the nearby farm and the sunsets we have been getting in this neck of the woods..

IMG_2607.JPG