What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good afternoon all. No fbs test today as I indulged in pancakes last evening.:angelic: Naughty but very nice! Just a quick update. Received a phone call from diabetic nurse this morning with my blood test results. Vit. B12 was OK so not the cause of my mouth problem. It's a mystery! She was concerned, however, with my cholesterol levels. (6.1 overall and the ratio between good/ bad was 4.7) As my pulse rate, blood sugars and blood pressure are all raised too she is concerned that I'm at risk of heart problems, especially as I have a family history and am often anxious. She asked me to reconsider statins which I have resisted in the past due to side effects. I have reluctantly agreed to try a low dose of Rosuvastatin introduced gradually- 1 tablet for only 2 days the 1st week then adding one more each week. Apparently this is what a cardiologist did with another patient and it was enough to bring down levels. Hubby used to be involved in the manufacture of this statin and thinks it is OK and worth a try. I hate the thought of having to take more medication but the thought of having a heart attack or stroke is even worse. :arghh: Have a good day everyone.:)

Reactions: karen8967

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good afternoon all. No fbs test today as I indulged in pancakes last evening.:angelic: Naughty but very nice! Just a quick update. Received a phone call from diabetic nurse this morning with my blood test results. Vit. B12 was OK so not the cause of my mouth problem. It's a mystery! She was concerned, however, with my cholesterol levels. (6.1 overall and the ratio between good/ bad was 4.7) As my pulse rate, blood sugars and blood pressure are all raised too she is concerned that I'm at risk of heart problems, especially as I have a family history and am often anxious. She asked me to reconsider statins which I have resisted in the past due to side effects. I have reluctantly agreed to try a low dose of Rosuvastatin introduced gradually- 1 tablet for only 2 days the 1st week then adding one more each week. Apparently this is what a cardiologist did with another patient and it was enough to bring down levels. Hubby used to be involved in the manufacture of this statin and thinks it is OK and worth a try. I hate the thought of having to take more medication but the thought of having a heart attack or stroke is even worse. :arghh: Have a good day everyone.:)

Hug for the high numbers. I take atorvastatin, 10mg once a day. My high LDL and BP numbers were why I quit LCHF. My doc thinks my high LDL may be hereditary, as is the case in her own family.
I hope the Rosuvastatin will work well for you. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No Saskia I'm sure you're are fine...Molly was such a character could swear like a trooper loved a wee nip or three but was terribly pious in her dress...she never moved anywhere without the 'proper foundation' garments & a good solid of pants!

I did buy a summer dress last year. It felt so nice on a breezy day but my goodness I had forgotten that you really have to be careful or you can do an unintentional Marilyn Monroe even without a grate! :D

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do food shopping online often Saskia can't be doping with the supermarkets...I use several Tesco's Sainsbury's Ocado & sometimes when I feel like being indulgent Waitrose...have a look online where you are you should find plenty who will deliver the sites will tell you if they cover your area...for other things I'll use Amazon that's really handy yesterday I ordered a present for my friends daughter I have Amazon Prime so do not pay separately for next day delivery...I order so much online saves me driving...try it you never know until you do.

Thanks. :) I will look into it. I'm thinking about it for when I've moved, when I will no longer be right next door to a grocery store.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hug for the high numbers. I take atorvastatin, 10mg once a day. My high LDL and BP numbers were why I quit LCHF. My doc thinks my high LDL may be hereditary, as is the case in her own family.
I hope the Rosuvastatin will work well for you. :)
Thanks @SaskiaKC. I have been on statins in the past but in combination with new medication for other conditions they caused side effects. Also research since then suggested that they were only of benefit for those who already have heart problems. I guess I've reached the stage where I've got to try something as more things are becoming beyond my control. Stay well.:)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the picture aficionados

_111033279_101greglecoeur.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-51633570

ooh and a 5.4 for me this morning

I love this! Thank you for posting it. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher Thank you for posting your lovely painting. I also was interested to see your color chart.
I am fascinated by the pictures you and @muddycyclist post of your watercolor trays. I used to have some of those as a child and it is wonderful to see actual art produced from what, in my personal experience, only produced watery blobs of color.

@Muddy Cyclist can you post a pic of Mrs MC's horse, please? or would that be too public?

Reactions: Ryhia

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@gennepher Thank you for posting your lovely painting. I also was interested to see your color chart.
I am fascinated by the pictures you and @muddycyclist post of your watercolor trays. I used to have some of those as a child and it is wonderful to see actual art produced from what, in my personal experience, only produced watery blobs of color.

@muddycyclist can you post a pic of Mrs MC's horse, please? or would that be too public?
Hello again @SaskiaKC. I have always wished I could paint. I can see in my mind's eye what I want to produce but don't have the skills to translate it onto paper. With regard to painting, drawing and horses- I once spent much of my lunch hour drawing a donkey for a "Pin the tail on the donkey" game for a group of 5 year olds only to be asked when they entered the room why there was a cow on the wall. :banghead::D

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again @SaskiaKC. I have always wished I could paint. I can see in my mind's eye what I want to produce but don't have the skills to translate it onto paper. With regard to painting, drawing and horses- I once spent much of my lunch hour drawing a donkey for a "Pin the tail on the donkey" game for a group of 5 year olds only to be asked when they entered the room why there was a cow on the wall. :banghead::D

That would happen to me -- if I were brave enough to even try! :)
I once did volunteer work with a group of 3-4-year-olds and was assigned star-drawing for them to cut out. I could not even draw proper stars. :D:bag:

Reactions: dogslife

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dogslife You've inspired me to draw a donkey.
What I drew looks like a cross between a hooved Corgi and a rabbit. Neither of which would meet their breed standard. :D

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That would happen to me -- if I were brave enough to even try! :)
I once did volunteer work with a group of 3-4-year-olds and was assigned star-drawing for them to cut out. I could not even draw proper stars. :D:bag:
5 point stars are difficult to draw, @SaskiaKC. I used to cheat and draw around 2 triangles at different angles to produce a 6 point star.:angelic:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@dogslife You've inspired me to draw a donkey.
What I drew looks like a cross between a hooved Corgi and a rabbit. Neither of which would meet their breed standard. :D
Ha,ha, @SaskiaKC. I can really relate to that. I may not be able to draw but I have a vivid imagination. You made me smile. :)

Reactions: HarryBeau

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 and @PenguinMum and @jjraak

"Why don't they cut their own children's ears into points to make them look sharp? Why don't they cut the end off their noses to make them look plucky?" -- Sir Oliver, in Black Beauty

Sometimes vets will prescribe or make up a soup for older cats who have lost their teeth, or whose kidneys are failing, to keep them well hydrated. But I have never seen cat soup sold commercially ... yet. :)

Good point, mind you I reckon there would be some people who would disfigure their children in the name of fashion given half a chance. I’m sure it’s only strict regulation which has stopped toddlers having tattoos.

Re cat soup yes, I can totally see the medical need, but I’m sure people would buy it in any case if marketed cleverly.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First World problem alert:angelic: You went from insulin dependent to in remission fuelled by cream did you not, lady? Clearly works for you and you know the right dose but even if you over do it from time to time no harm done - fbg 5 today, No?. So ......

View attachment 38954

and slurp that cream like a good 'un:angelic: (I assume Mr K spends many a day rolling his eyes as you bewail a 5.insignificant after an extra mg of cream.)
You are so right - definitely first world problems.

Are you sure you are not speaking to my youngest daughter as that is exactly what she would say.
How did you know that husband spend a many a day rolling his eyes?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How did you know that husband spend a many a day rolling his eyes?
Shrewd guess based on nothing much:angelic: BTW - full of admiration for your journey and the more I hear of Mr K and the Ks in general the more I think they've done a great job with you - in very trying circumstances:)

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good grief, 3 hours!?! Even in the US I haven't known anyone with that long a commute.
Congratulations on quitting, and best wishes for your new job. My first full-time job involved a bus ride of about 20-30 minutes. I learned to read standing up in the aisle, and sometimes I was able to take a nap on the way into town. ;)
I have not worked since I was 60 but had a contract in Manchester 3 days a week. 55 minutes away but on a morning it was 3 hours, I would leave at 7 am and arrive if I was lucky by 10 am. I worked flexible hours and so would stay until 8pm to get through the work, drive home 50 minutes, crazy. I tried the train but that was so unreliable so commute I did. Would not liked to have done that every day like @trick60