What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do any of you old hands know if the cold weather, change of season, etc is meaning a lot of us are getting higher than expected FBG.

It definitely effects me but I have a slow thyroid too so the cold weather is not good. I’m. Cold weather wuss.. but I’m still an insulin baby too only been on it 18 months

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I would never have gone down the DD route so props to you for plugging away. - chacun a son gout

It does make me a bit uncomfortable I must admit, can’t really believe this is a healthy way to eat but for a couple of weeks it seemed to be working and I was getting nice low ‘normal’ bgs.
Don’t know what to think now though. One thing I do know is that it’s not sustainable but I can’t think what to try next.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does make me a bit uncomfortable I must admit, can’t really believe this is a healthy way to eat but for a couple of weeks it seemed to be working and I was getting nice low ‘normal’ bgs.
Don’t know what to think now though. One thing I do know is that it’s not sustainable but I can’t think what to try next.
I have huge sympathy for you. My theory is that many of us have a default setting and the body will invariably try to find its way back there. Fighting it is not good for wellness. Mine is definitely a centrist dad setting. Trying to mess around with fasting and keto earlier in the year appeared to lower bg but not hba1c. It was a disaster for wellness. You need to find your default setting which may well have been radically altered by the major issues you have had.
Anyhow, y'all know I talk via my fundament so take no notice.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As the days shorten, we experience less of the shining sun, which can be a real mental challenge.

Not universally. Where I live it is a lot more pleasant to be outside in the sunshine this time of year than in the summer with its high heat and humidity. Then you want to sit in the shade, or indoors in the AC. In the autumn, and even on warm winter days, it's great to be outside getting some sun.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have huge sympathy for you. My theory is that many of us have a default setting and the body will invariably try to find its way back there. Fighting it is not good for wellness. Mine is definitely a centrist dad setting. Trying to mess around with fasting and keto earlier in the year appeared to lower bg but not hba1c. It was a disaster for wellness. You need to find your default setting which may well have been radically altered by the major issues you have had.
Anyhow, y'll know I talk via my fundament so take no notice.
Interesting @ianpspurs i tend to think the same too it’s a bit like weight there seems to be a set point re weight which is individual and I do wonder if bgs are the same. I do know that I feel best generally physically with bgs 4.8 to 5.4 and know some people tolerate different levels both lower and higher. Important thing I think is to be within the quite wide normal range ie under 42 hbaca1 and I believe above 25 hbaca1 and not climbing into pre or diabetic ranges if possible. We are all bound to be different and individual and feeling well, fit and good are the key things.
@DJC3 thinking of you x

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting @ianpspurs i tend to think the same too it’s a bit like weight there seems to be a set point re weight which is individual and I do wonder if bgs are the same. I do know that I feel best generally physically with bgs 4.8 to 5.4 and know some people tolerate different levels both lower and higher. Important thing I think is to be within the quite wide normal range ie under 42 hbaca1 and I believe above 25 hbaca1 and not climbing into pre or diabetic ranges if possible. We are all bound to be different and individual and feeling well, fit and good are the key things.
@DJC3 thinking of you x
Interesting topic for further discussion. I seem to function fine with bg between high 3s and 6 but much narrower range for weight and resting pulse rate. Hugely sensitive to poor sleep - shows up very quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyhow, y'all know I talk via my fundament so take no notice.

I think you speak truth Kemosabe. I have also come to the conclusion that the body will try to reset itself to it’s desired status quo and fighting against it is going to put other systems out of kilter. If I could find a way to keep levels in the 5s I’d be content. You seem to have managed this and I’m full of admiration. Thanks for your input.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 thinking of you x

Thanks @shelley262 I’m a huge admirer of you and your achievements. I like the fact that you have 3 meals a day, although I know you did a spell of omad. I doubt I could be that disciplined.
I’m going to have to rethink again - how to eat healthily for diabetes but not be ‘on a diet’ where the goal is weight loss. Seems hard to do one without the other.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you speak truth Kemosabe. I have also come to the conclusion that the body will try to reset itself to it’s desired status quo and fighting against it is going to put other systems out of kilter. If I could find a way to keep levels in the 5s I’d be content. You seem to have managed this and I’m full of admiration. Thanks for your input.
I no havee the major issues you have had young lady. I also need a couple of decades good control before I trust this stuff. Furthermore, I have major doubts that anyone can tell me what exactly constitutes good control.
Just read your reply to @shelley262. I would say this is very individual. For example, it has taken me a long while to realise that as a 6 foot quite well built male some of the diets/regimes suiting the smaller female members won't work for me. Add in to this personal taste and in my case almost 60 years of eating habits and nothing "reads across" in a simple way.
COVFEFE

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @shelley262 I’m a huge admirer of you and your achievements. I like the fact that you have 3 meals a day, although I know you did a spell of omad. I doubt I could be that disciplined.
I’m going to have to rethink again - how to eat healthily for diabetes but not be ‘on a diet’ where the goal is weight loss. Seems hard to do one without the other.
Thanks @DJC3 I did a month of OMAD but different to you I had a lot of fat for my body to munch through! So didn’t find it difficult at the time as I was losing the weight I needed to lose. I also carried on doing OMAD every few days for the next few months until I lost the weight I needed to lose. I still do IF but very limited I tend to mainly eat my three meals a day within a time window when I can with all my three meals eaten within 8 hours where possible and nothing between. But times like this when at mums not always possible just regard it as a general rule I aim for. I also find now that missing a meal now is very difficult for me but now my bmi is 19 not so much internal fat to munch! Maybe as you don’t need to lose weight you just need to do like me now I’m thin and eat more generously but in a restricted time window?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JohnEGreen thanks for the Susan Sloane article which was very interesting and I have noted its important we dont get too cold and stay hydrated but then again almost anything and everything affects levels.

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Night all had to take my little brother trick or treating and get some sweets for myself hahaha but I got a bit of a scare my sugar was 5.8 so I decided to have a milkshake which I thought wasn’t working since I got to 4.3 but I’m fine now just went up to 6.7 so I’m happy with that I feel a bit sick but it could be due to the milkshake I had I didn’t have any of my sweets I collected since when I got home I felt sick anyway have a good night everyone

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes Karen that was insensitive of me...I meant T2s generally speaking..you and others must wonder why so many lows and I fully get how much worse this is than my whinges! X
I didnt mean that to come across as sarky or nothing .no ones condition is worse than anybody elses were all fighting the dreaded d regardless of type

Reactions: Goacher55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJ3 I feel your frustration. I also feel you are working hard to get your levels the best they can possibly be and what more can we do? I am constantly inconstant and maybe for me there is a level beyond which I can never venture. I dont eat the variety of food some do (which is why I have never joined “what have you eaten today” , it would be boring to read) and I try and keep it simple. It is so challenging isnt it?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didnt mean that to come across as sarky or nothing .no ones condition is worse than anybody elses were all fighting the dreaded d regardless of type
It wasnt taken that way at all lovely Karen. I do forget to count my blessings sometimes!

Reactions: karen8967