What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sorry to hear of the sadness - hope it is not the kind that is always with one. If it is sometimes time can alter one's perspective.
@ianpspurs it was and my perspective on life has definitely changed hence the little trips. I mentioned Amsterdam and that's next Friday.
But today my little madam is behaving 4.5, clearly the early pomelo supper did the trick. Still feel like imitating a sloth today.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Weird. Normally test with a morning bg at around five. Had nothing but 2 eggs and a slice of bacon food wise yesterday. This morning I was 6.3.

Somebody sneezed in Canada. That will do it. Prob facing east. They are worse.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs it was and my perspective on life has definitely changed hence the little trips. I mentioned Amsterdam and that's next Friday.
But today my little madam is behaving 4.5, clearly the early pomelo supper did the trick. Still feel like imitating a sloth today.
I can fully understand sudden sadness changing perspective. The short breaks idea is next on my radar - probably from about this time next year. Enjoy the downtime today and Amsterdam.

Reactions: Ziggy2017

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all..

First timer on here.
(nice idea for a post, btw.)

diagnosed early october T2D
getting over the shock if i'm honest, made the advised changes, and now on metformin, 2 x 500, soon to be 4x500.

part of me wants to be in charge and more aware of whats IS going on with the Diabetes,
so despite the advise i started testing (codefree) each morning on waking..(not sure if that's best practice but i like to know)

Seems to be a more common level for me, once i was diagnosed, so todays was again 6.2mmol...

not sure if that's good, still hunting info, and there is a whole load of information i am currently trying to absorb....
such as....i never had to think so hard about what i can eat, that's for certain...:woot:..lol

cheers all.
thanks for having me.

have a great day.

Last edited:

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.
4.6 for me this morning.

@jjrak, 6.2 is fairly good for starting.

Tagging @daisy1 in case you haven't seen the welcome message.

The best thing for testing at the start is not just morning fasting but also before after and 2 hours after meals. It is extremely helpful to find which foods cause blood sugar spikes, called "eating to your meter". Test right before eating and 2 hours after. If you get a rise of 2.0 mmol/L or greater, that food isn't for you. Although there is some individual variation, the common foods (apart from sugar which are potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, wheat (bread, pasta, cereal), other grains (ie rice, oats, barley including beer), dried beans & lentils, bananas and other tropical fruits (pineapple, mango etc.) Carbohydrates break into sugar in the body which is why they aren't good for us.

It looks to be sunny here today on Remembrance Day. Thinking about the all the men who never came home and what all the soldiers endured. My husband's grandfather lost his leg at Vimy Ridge due to shrapnel, a battle where the Canadian Corps won the high ground from the German Army in France. It was the first time the all 4 divisions of the Canadian Corps fought together. It was our Gallipoli. They didn't think my husband's grandfather would survive, he lay injured in no man's land for 12 hours before he was found and he endured 3 additional amputation surgeries. He spent several years in a rehab hospital where he met his wife who was a volunteer there. He lived to be 80.

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately for me I cave in to pressure way too easily. Now sat at a giant soft play that always makes me question why so many kids needs to squeal at such high pitched levels :banghead: maybe when she’s 18 I’ll get that pyjama day
Ive had grandsons since lunch time ones 4 and one 18 mths to say im worn out is an understatement i was supposed to go to theirs but they came here they have literaly just gone an im sat in the chair looking at the trail of chaos they have left behind

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all..

First timer on here.

getting over the shock if i'm honest, made the advised changes, and now on metformin, 2 x 500, soon to be 4x500.

part of me wants to be in charge and more aware of whats IS going on with the Diabetes,
so despite the advise i started testing (codefree) each morning on waking..(not sure if that's best practice but i like to know)

Seems to be a more common level for me, once i was diagnosed, so todays was again 6.2mmol...

not sure if that's good, still hunting info, and there is a whole load of information i am currently trying to absorb....
such as....i never had to think so hard about what i can eat, that's for certain...:woot:..lol

cheers all.
thanks for having me.

have a great day.
Welcome jjraak

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all..

First timer on here.

cheers all.
thanks for having me.

have a great day.
Welcome

Reactions: karen8967

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive had grandsons since lunch time ones 4 and one 18 mths to say im worn out is an understatement i was supposed to go to theirs but they came here they have literaly just gone an im sat in the chair looking at the trail of chaos they have left behind
You most definitely deserve a relaxing evening then! Nans and grandads are truly wonderful! And my mom always says she has the pleasure at the end of the day of sending the chaos back home to me :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.6 this morning.

@Cumberland
I went to a Salvation Army church service once. Very interesting and very good.

@OrsonKartt
Can you say more about the piper please? We don't have anything like that here but it is the sort of thing I would get up early and go out for. I am remembering one Sunday morning at the Kirking of the Tartans when I heard a piper coming up the hill.

@PenguinMum
Mum's the word. ;) Y'all have inspired me now to have just that sort of Sunday. Cat is in full agreement.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.6 this morning.

@Cumberland

@OrsonKartt
Can you say more about the piper please? We don't have anything like that here but it is the sort of thing I would get up early and go out for. I am remembering one Sunday morning at the Kirking of the Tartans when I heard a piper coming up the hill.

@PenguinMum
Mum's the word. ;) Y'all have inspired me now to have just that sort of Sunday. Cat is in full agreement.

Saskia as soon as I put on my fleece pjs my two cats are competing to be on my lap...at the moment the youngest is winning. Glad to have them as my OH left at 4pm for a work trip to Germany. They are good companions cats.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all..

First timer on here.

cheers all.
thanks for having me.

have a great day.

welcome here , this is a great +place for dialogue and support and lots of ideas for coping among people in here

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
6.6 this morning.

@Cumberland

@OrsonKartt

@PenguinMum

Yes they’re usually friendly and upbeat

Reactions: SaskiaKC