What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
So appointment with consultant wasn’t exactly great, but also wasn’t terrible.

Effectively I don’t produce enough of my own insulin - this was confirmed by the c-peptide as it’s low but not as low as a type 1.
The anti bodies were negative - but doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not type 1 as they can’t test for all anti bodies.

The next step is to test for MODY. But within the past 4 years this consultant (who covered Bromley and Croydon) has never put anyone forward for the tests as there hasn’t been a need. He said when he worked at Kings College only a few people there were tested too! He’s finding out what the process is and will leave me the form to go get the bloods taken. Because of my unusual case they also asked if they could use my samples for research and further testing.

If the MODY is negative then I may just be an odd bod who sits in the middle of type 1 and 2.

In the meantime, they have started me on a basal bolus regime to try to get my bloods more in sync without the big highs and lows. He said my nighttime insulin is probably at the maximum I can take in relation to my BMI.

So not really much further forward, but he did say I’ve done nothing to cause all of this and it would have happened if I was even thinner or bigger and my life style didn’t cause this - so that made me feel better.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone,

4.4 for me this morning.
It is mild-ish outside, above freezing and the snow is melting. I think I'll put on my boots on and go for a walk shortly after lifing some weights Nice to have better weather.

@SaskiaKC I'd forgotten it's Flag Day, it's a fairly new holiday and not statutory (required to give people the day off unlike Family Day next Monday which is statutory - a provincial holiday where they wanted to give people a long weekend in February). I'm old enough to remember the fuss when the new flag was brought in. Some traditionalists were upset that it didn't have a Union Jack on it like the old Red Ensign. School kids including me were given the oppportunity to design anew flag - I think my submission had a beaver on it.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Effectively I don’t produce enough of my own insulin - this was confirmed by the c-peptide as it’s low but not as low as a type 1.
The anti bodies were negative - but doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not type 1 as they can’t test for all anti bodies.

The next step is to test for MODY.
In the meantime, they have started me on a basal bolus regime to try to get my bloods more in sync without the big highs and lows. He said my nighttime insulin is probably at the maximum I can take in relation to my BMI.

So not really much further forward, but he did say I’ve done nothing to cause all of this and it would have happened if I was even thinner or bigger and my life style didn’t cause this - so that made me feel better.

I'm glad they are going to be adding more insulin, you clearly need more.

Apparently there are several forms of MODY. Jenny Ruhl of Blood Sugar 101 is also MODY (initially diagnosed as Type 2). In addition to insulin she also takes a med called repaglinide. Her page about herself is here: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/about Her page about MODY is here: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/mody

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="SB.25, post: 1988189, member: 496757"

The next step is to test for MODY.

Apparently there are several forms of MODY. Jenny Ruhl of Blood Sugar 101 is also MODY (initially diagnosed as Type 2). In addition to insulin she also takes a med called repaglinide. Her page about herself is here: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/about Her page about MODY is here: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/mody[/QUOTE]
Thank you - I think the consultant is particularly interested in my case as it’s quite unusual.

I’ll check out those links:)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chronicle_Cat I would have liked a beaver. :)

I remember back at school getting the date of our Flag Day mixed up with that of Bastille Day. Evidently I still do -- I just had to go look them up to make sure! :) US Flag Day - June 14th, Bastille Day, July 14th. Then throw July 4th into the mix and it was too many numbers for me. (July 4th -- Fourth of July -- Independence Day)

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Apparently there are several forms of MODY. Jenny Ruhl of Blood Sugar 101 is also MODY (initially diagnosed as Type 2). In addition to insulin she also takes a med called repaglinide. Her page about herself is here: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/about Her page about MODY is here: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/mody
Thank you - I think the consultant is particularly interested in my case as it’s quite unusual.

I’ll check out those links:)[/QUOTE]

I'm glad the consultant is interested. I hope they will figure it out for you soon.

I am an odd bod too, especially when it comes to health and medical concerns.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

I’ll check out those links:)

I'm glad the consultant is interested. I hope they will figure it out for you soon.

I am an odd bod too, especially when it comes to health and medical concerns.[/QUOTE]

Glad I’m not the only one lol! It’s annoying bor fitting into one category, but I guess getting the treatment right is more important than anything else :)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I have only visited London three times but loved being there each time. There are some places you visit where you just "click" with it, and London is one of them for me.

Another is the seaside, but that's a whole other story ... :)

Attachments

• beside the sea.jpg
    beside the sea.jpg
    913.2 KB · Views: 238

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Mine too though I didnt mind Julia Mackenzie either,,,sadly both no longer with us. Do you get Poirot played by David Suchet over there?

Agatha Christie once wrote a letter to Joan Hickson saying how she hoped one day she would play Miss Marple .

Reactions: DJC3

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So appointment with consultant wasn’t exactly great, but also wasn’t terrible.

The next step is to test for MODY. But within the past 4 years this consultant (who covered Bromley and Croydon) has never put anyone forward for the tests as there hasn’t been a need. He said when he worked at Kings College only a few people there were tested too! He’s finding out what the process is and will leave me the form to go get the bloods taken. Because of my unusual case they also asked if they could use my samples for research and further testing.

If the MODY is negative then I may just be an odd bod who sits in the middle of type 1 and 2.

you are in a difficult position, in between and not really able to use other peoples examples, but many longterm type 2 diabetics do end up needing adding insuline which is somewhat of a balance to much makes many gain weight and too little do make a person prone to a lot of adding conditions from the very high spikes and too high blood glucose in general... but I am sure you´ll learn your own balance , you seem very focussed and this will help you slowly finding the golden middleroad for you.

it is so great to stay in this forum for motivation and for fellow people going the almost same troublesome road in life.

Last edited:

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
you are in a difficult position, in between and not really able to use other peoples examples, but many longterm type 2 diabetics do end up needing adding insuline which is somewhat of a balance to much makes many gain weight and too little do make a person prone to a lot of adding conditions from the very high spikes and too high blood glucose in ganeral... but I am sure you´ll learn your own balance , you seem very focussed and this will help you slowly finding the golden middleroad for you.

it is so great to stay in this forum for motivation and for fellow people going the almost same troublesome road in life.
Yes, I’m not too worried about having more insulin as I already take basal insulin - what’s another couple of injections aye ;).

It would be nice to have a more clear cut answer of what type I am. But in any event I found it reassuring that the consultant said nothing I done had caused this and it was always going to happen anyway.

It would be nice to have other people who are in the same predicament as me, but I think I’m quite a rare case. Hopefully my posts on these forums will be of use to someone in the future :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine too though I didnt mind Julia Mackenzie either,,,sadly both no longer with us. Do you get Poirot played by David Suchet over there?

Yes, and he is my favorite Poirot. I also enjoyed the program he did about the Poirot stories -- so cool to hear him talking in his real voice too. :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I actually liked Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple I saw Murder She Said in the cinema and loved it.

In fact Agatha Christie dedicated the novel The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side, to her, in admiration of her.

David Suchet is Poirot there is no other.