What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Obviously these medics all go to the same schools.
Typical attitude True Blue...about a year after my diagnosis I asked my GP if he knew much about diabetes his reply 'not really'... two years later he knows a lot more...considering the potential devastation this condition can bring it's outrageous how little some of our health care providers know about T2...many believe they know how to treat it but the reality of the advice & care given (or lack of it) demonstrates otherwise.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Folks. Back from the doc. with some BP reducing tablets. The T2 diabetes discussion was professional. My HbA1c is down to 56 mmol/mol, having been 90 last year. But the doc didn't like the BG metering, "can stop that", "what is the point" etc. Obviously these medics all go to the same schools.

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." Yogi Berra.

So we have an allergy to something, and that allergy remains hidden until it suddenly explodes in our faces,
and the best advice on offer is DON'T bother trying to Look after yourself.......

LUDDITE....:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

(starting to think they are all on the meds that mess up your thinking after so many years...i'd like to think marijuana at least, but the way they get that glint in their eyes..i'm guessing statins.;))

still on the brightside the menu they give looks great..
and with one or two Chef Specials.

BREAD : good for eye damage
FRUIT: helps aid towards amputations
STARCH; good for blocking up your arteries.

followed by a nice old slurp of some low fat chemically spawned drink...
( can help glowing in the dark..please use responsibly )

Yummy...:***:

any one think this is maybe how the dinosaurs really went out...following doctors advice too rigidly..:D

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Typical attitude True Blue...about a year after my diagnosis I asked my GP if he knew much about diabetes his reply 'not really'... two years later he knows a lot more...considering the potential devastation this condition can bring it's outrageous how little some of our health care providers know about T2...many believe they know how to treat it but the reality of the advice & care given (or lack of it) demonstrates otherwise.
i'd say it's like driving @Bubbsie.

when we cant drive...it all looks SO good, seeing them do it...:wideyed:

but once we learn and get good at it.
(and i know your aware, that that nonchalant delivery of the devastating news...
"well done..you've got DIABETES...next patient please."

soon shoots many of us into overdrive getting as much info as possible and studying night after night to cram for our imaginary Exam )

THEN they look like rank amateurs, sat gripping the wheel desperately as they push and pull it through from 2 o'clock to 3 o'clock...kangarooing around every corner,
while we are out doing handbrakes turns and drifting into and out of each bend like the fast N furious.

:)

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Morning all 4.2 on the meter this morning after b-b-qing supper last night with friends ( the whole salmon was on special at Asda). Looking forward to a day out in London with my daughter and her children today. If the weather stays good we will picnic in the lady di memorial park. One of the best free adventure areas for small children I have come across anywhere. Else its a museum . Have a good day all.
You ever tried the Adventure Playground at Battersea Park? Not sure if it's still open('Elf & Safety and all that)

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
An unexpected 4.8 this morning. Waiting for the Vet to open so we can take our dog to have his claw removed. He had a lovely walk around the Abbey grounds yesterday and enjoyed sharing my homemade beefburger at the inn. It was delicious and I am sure it was heaped with loads more bacon and melted cheese because I didn't have the bun and chips. Very yummy.
great negotiating........swapping in the cheese and bacon for a bun.......if only there were 2 winner symbols to press I would(the first was for the 4.8)!!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i'd say it's like driving @Bubbsie.

when we cant drive...it all looks SO good, seeing them do it...:wideyed:

but once we learn and get good at it.
(and i know your aware, that that nonchalant delivery of the devastating news...
"well done..you've got DIABETES...next patient please."

soon shoots many of us into overdrive getting as much info as possible and studying night after night to cram for our imaginary Exam )

THEN they look like rank amateurs, sat gripping the wheel desperately as they push and pull it through from 2 o'clock to 3 o'clock...kangarooing around every corner,
while we are out doing handbrakes turns and drifting into and out of each bend like the fast N furious.

:)
Not wanting to be an internet warrior but blanket slamming of medical profession's knowledge of diabetes takes us nowhere. To be fair the average GP is probably going to see 100s of diabetics in their career and we usually only see ourselves. Pretty certain no GP ever sent a newly diagnosed patient away and said knock yerself out on doughnuts. Some of the suggestions for management on here are equally barking mad IMHO.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not wanting to be an internet warrior but blanket slamming of medical profession's knowledge of diabetes takes us nowhere. To be fair the average GP is going probably going to see 100s of diabetics in their career and we usually only see ourselves. Pretty certain no GP ever sent a newly diagnosed patient away and said knock yerself out on doughnuts. Some of the suggestions for management on here are equally barking mad IMHO.

point taken @ianpspurs

was a tad tongue in cheek with some relevance to our realities, as testified by FAR too many stories on here.

and i do hold to the very point you make.
We DO learn as much as possible, BECAUSE it's personal.
how could they be expected to know it all about everything.

So with that in mind, they do or should have someone overseeing the disease and protocols, surely.
it shouldn't be in this day and age down to concerned individuals finding out as much as possible in an attempt to improve THEIR health..isn't that exactly what the NHS system IS for.

If we had an ebola/mad cow type epidemic, wouldn't doctors be GIVEN update guidance as to HOW to treat..
same here surely..an epidemic by many reckonings, needs the same level of interaction not the old advice that been proven to fail,

in football if you keep losing it's either the players / managers fault OR the tactics are wrong.

Im saying it's the tactics

Not all doctors/hcp are bad...honest

just wish we had MORE unwins and less of the others holding back peoples progress by denying them
certain information and freedom of choices.

But your point is well made and taken in.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
point taken @ianpspurs

was a tad tongue in cheek with some relevance to our realities, as testified by FAR too many stories on here.

and i do hold to the very point you make.
We DO learn as much as possible, BECAUSE it's personal.
how could they be expected to know it all about everything.

So with that in mind, they do or should have someone overseeing the disease and protocols, surely.
it shouldn't be in this day and age down to concerned individuals finding out as much as possible in an attempt to improve THEIR health..isn't that exactly what the NHS system IS for.

If we had an ebola/mad cow type epidemic, wouldn't doctors be GIVEN update guidance as to HOW to treat..
samne here surely..an epidemic by many reckonings, needs the same level in interaction not the old advice that been proven to fail,

in football if you keep losing it's either the players / managers fault OR the tactics are wrong.

Im saying it's the tactics

Not all doctors/hcp are bad...honest

just wish we had MORE unwins and less of the others holding back peoples progress by denying them
certain information and freedom of choices.

But your point is well made and taken in.
Ah, no carbs as the false 9 of our times Dr Pep to the resuce:angelic:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, no carbs as the false 9 of our times Dr Pep to the rescue:angelic:

hahaha..maybe.
but we all follow our own path..i still carb daily.

i have to be realistic, i'd love to be premier league, but thanks to the forum,
i'm just over the moon to be in the championship or league one.

i'd be sick as a parrot, if like far too many on my desmonds course, i just took the advise dished out.

for them sadly, at the end of the day, when the wheels come off the wagon...
it's always going to be at best, the Vauxhall Conference..:sorry:

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hahaha..maybe.
but we all follow our own path..i still carb daily.

i have to be realistic, i'd love to be premier league, but thanks to the forum,
i'm just over the moon to be in the championship or league one.

i'd be sick as a parrot, if like far too many on my desmonds course, i just took the advise dished out.

for them sadly, at the end of the day, when the wheels come off the wagon...
it's always going to be at best, the Vauxhall Conference..:sorry:
I think I must have been very fortunate. No course, no advice and after first 6 month A1c left alone to do my own thing. I still think I am in non league pyramid but hey ho.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not wanting to be an internet warrior but blanket slamming of medical profession's knowledge of diabetes takes us nowhere.
ian my comments are based on my own experience nothing else...unfortunately the majority of the health care professionals I have encountered have given me poor/inaccurate advice ranging from no need to test to attending the feckless DESMOND Course which is abysmally poor in educating anyone on the consequences of T2 or how to manage it...given the prominence of T2 diabetes (set to increase further) and the often cited claim we (T2's) are likely to the be the cause of the impending bankrupting the NHS your comments 'To be fair the average GP is going probably going to see 100s of diabetics in their career and we usually only see ourselves' make no sense at all...sending newly diagnosed T2 patients away with a crib sheet and little else is in my opinion just as reckless as sending them away to gorge on doughnuts...I have good control of my diabetes not as a result of any advice I have received from the HCP's I've encountered it's as a result of my own research...I am not a medic I have no medical training yet I am still able to find a way forward with this condition...considering uncontrolled diabetes can lead to organ failure...blindness...amputation...immobility & more...GP's & DSN's should be aware of the different ways/diets to manage this condition...they should be aware of the real benefits of testing...should be aware they need to give good consistent solid advice about the alternatives to the standard NHS mantra which just doesn't work for me and many other diabetics I have discussed this with...I know my diabetes...they should know about our diabetes too...nb it's the lack of my GP's knowledge my comments were referring to..

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree unequivocally jjaark...if I followed the DESMOND advice I'd be on maximum medication by now...this is often described as an epidemic...why the lack of affirmative action?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ian my comments are based on my own experience nothing else...unfortunately the majority of the health care professionals I have encountered have given me poor/inaccurate advice ranging from no need to test to attending the feckless DESMOND Course which is abysmally poor in educating anyone on the consequences of T2 or how to manage it...given the prominence of T2 diabetes (set to increase further) and the often cited claim we (T2's) are likely to the be the cause of the impending bankrupting the NHS your comments 'To be fair the average GP is going probably going to see 100s of diabetics in their career and we usually only see ourselves' make no sense at all...sending newly diagnosed T2 patients away with a crib sheet and little else is in my opinion just as reckless as sending them away to gorge on doughnuts...I have good control of my diabetes not as a result of any advice I have received from the HCP's I've encountered it's as a result of my own research...I am not a medic I have no medical training yet I am still able to find a way forward with this condition...considering uncontrolled diabetes can lead to organ failure...blindness...amputation...immobility & more...GP's & DSN's should be aware of the different ways/diets to manage this condition...they should be aware of the real benefits of testing...should be aware they need to give good consistent solid advice about the alternatives to the standard NHS mantra which just doesn't work for me and many of other diabetics I have discussed this with...I know my diabetes...they should know about our diabetes too...nb it's the lack of my GP's knowledge my comments were referring.
I can see your point of view about the unsatisfactory nature of your own post diagnosis treatment. I feel that my own care has been more honest in the sense that no HCP has ever said they didn't know much about diabetes but neither have they pretended to have a silver bullet like some on here. Stand by my comment on Drs seeing hundreds of patients but that's just my opinion. Kinda admire your feisty nature from afar - we could well be yin and yang.
Edit: I have no idea what DESMOND is/was so maybe dodged a bullet there. Wouldn't have gone anyhow but take the point.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stand by my comment on Drs seeing hundreds of patients but that's just my opinion. Kinda admire your feisty nature from afar - we could well be yin and yang.
ian firstly I am assertive not 'feisty'...of course you are entitled to your opinion as we all are...I speak with many others who have been given the same ineffectual advice & lack of care...it wasn't difficult for me to do my own research...it wasn't difficult for me to challenge my local CCG's refusal to allow my GP to prescribe testing trips successfully...however it is difficult for others who lack the experience...the knowledge or the confidence to do likewise so may 'go without'...many HCP's would never admit to knowing little about the condition they give advice on...I am grateful for my own GP's honesty...he is happy to conduct my diabetic reviews instead of insisting I see the DSN who does most of them...she described me as 'obsessive' after the one review I had with her for testing & eating low carb...yet she will happily will take the credit for my progress...the whole system is so inequitable...advice & management inconsistent from surgery to surgery...as I've said before there's a lot of money in diabetes mis-management.

Reactions: True Blue

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ian firstly I am assertive not 'feisty'...of course you are entitled to your opinion as we all are...I speak with many others who have been given the same ineffectual advice & lack of care...it wasn't difficult for me to do my own research...it wasn't difficult for me to challenge my local CCG's refusal to allow my GP to prescribe testing trips successfully...however it is difficult for others who lack the experience...the knowledge or the confidence to do likewise so may 'go without'...many HCP's would never admit to knowing little about the condition they give advice on...I am grateful for my own GP's honesty...he is happy to conduct my diabetic reviews instead of insisting the DSN who does most of them...she described me as 'obsessive' after the one review I had with her for testing & eating low carb...yet she will happily will take the credit for my progress...the whole system is so inequitable...advice & management inconsistent from surgery to surgery...as I've said before there's a lot of money in diabetes mis-management.
There is also a lot of money in LC eating and a few careers/reputations made on the back of advocating this WOE. Assertive is fine by me. Maybe I am insulated in the sense that I just don't see the world you describe with other people having no knowledge or resources. Probably good for me to come out of my comfortable little bubble from time to time. In that sense retirement has perhaps not done me any favours.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I must have been very fortunate. No course, no advice and after first 6 month A1c left alone to do my own thing. I still think I am in non league pyramid but hey ho.

did your doctor suggest the LCHF woe..or did you too find it after searching for information re T2D ?

if they did well done.
if not..i'd ask why not..?

it is the crux of the point of any of us being on here, that patent lack of integrated advice.
the majority of doctors, seem to be saying don't test yet almost 100% ( the lucky ones i think,)
on here saying buying a meter is the first step to surviving this
and then to begin thriving.

i don't agree with some who say we are 'cured' but i do take the point that if we went to doctors tomorrow and tested we'd not be classed as T2D..simply because of the advice we have taken and followed..(not matter if it's some or all )

And that is the infuriating part..that there is evidence of some proof this disease can be slowed/reversed/put into remission/cured

yet far too many are denied the choice..as was i.
UNTIL i did My own research.

and still my practice will want me on statins, to not test and to take in higher numbers of carbs that i now believe will be detrimental to my health.

The diabetes spring can't come soon enough, when we can start being honest once again with those entrusted with our health care.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just don't see the world you describe with other people having no knowledge or resources. Probably good for me to come out of my comfortable little bubble from time to time. In that sense retirement has perhaps not done me any favours.
ian I have encountered many individuals who have little or no resources...have no idea they can ask/challenge their GP/DSN's refusal to supply necessary equipment...I have a couple of friends who followed the advice they were given to the letter after all their GP or nurse would not get it wrong would they?... they are now suffering from complications...in a real mess...not every T2 will want to test or change their way of eating but those who wish to should not be denied because they do not have the funds or the right education...we have members here who are trying to lead the way & challenge the 'stereotypical' view that T2 is self inflicted somehow deserved...challenge the view T2 will progress so what's the point it will get you eventually just take the meds & don't worry...challenge the standard NHS advice with diet...

Reactions: Prem51