What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can someone tell me why FBG is so important? If it’s in the high side buy drops during the day for the whole day, is it that important? My DSN seems obsessed with it! Thanks

What does your DSN say when you ask her/him that question?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,

@Flora123 -- I guess that one reason that they seem obsessed with fasting levels is that they are part of the official guidelines for diagnosing diabetes (though I have to admit my GP wasn't when initially fasting was still high, but HbA1c was normal).

My personal experience is though that for me fasting levels tend to set the tone for the entire day. So, if fasting blood sugars are higher, so are levels throughout the day. That's why they matter to me personally.

Do I believe that fasting blood sugars really matter in terms of health if they are a little elevated and drop throughout the day as they do for you? No, not really. Personally, I believe that what really does harm is if we repeatedly see very high spikes throughout the day (based on the discussion by Jenny Ruhl on her bloodsugar101 website).

By the way, when you say that you HCPs want it between 4 and 5, do you mean 5.0 mmol as a maximum?

Anyway, back to main purpose of this post. Fasting levels for me were 5.1.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all,

@Flora123 -- I guess that one reason that they seem obsessed with fasting levels is that they are part of the official guidelines for diagnosing diabetes (though I have to admit my GP wasn't when initially fasting was still high, but HbA1c was normal).

My personal experience is though that for me fasting levels tend to set the tone for the entire day. So, if fasting blood sugars are higher, so are levels throughout the day. That's why they matter to me personally.

Do I believe that fasting blood sugars really matter in terms of health if they are a little elevated and drop throughout the day as they do for you? No, not really. Personally, I believe that what really does harm is if we repeatedly see very high spikes throughout the day (based on the discussion by Jenny Ruhl on her bloodsugar101 website).

By the way, when you say that you HCPs want it between 4 and 5, do you mean 5.0 mmol as a maximum?

Anyway, back to main purpose of this post. Fasting levels for me were 5.1.

Thank you. That’s very helpful. Yes she wants between 4-5 mol in the morning! Even when my Hba1c was 36, I never had a FBG that low.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. That’s very helpful. Yes she wants between 4-5 mol in the morning! Even when my Hba1c was 36, I never had a FBG that low.

Hmm ... sounds to me like you and she need to have a good clear discussion about FBG, her thoughts and your questions. :)

Reactions: Flora123

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay! back down in the 6s this morning with a 6.7!
h07037.gif