What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.9 this morning. weekly average 7.2. This is looking a lot better than a month ago.

I had stopped testing for a long time and started again after my wife wanted to do a blood test on herself. I was a bit shocked to find my glucose reading were quite high 8-10. I think this was because I had stopped being so vigilant on low carbs and was eating the occasional pizza and chocolate. I also noticed that my weight was a lot higher at 78kg than back in 2018 when it was 71kg. So my mission now is to lose some weight and lower my blood sugar through a better diet and exercise.

It seems to take a while for your body to get acclimatised again to strict LCHF. I eat Alpro No sugar yoghurt and use Alpro No Sugars Almond milk in tea and coffee. This has zero sugar and zero carbs. For snacks I eat nuts (typically Brazil and Walnuts), avocado, Baby Bell cheese and some hummus with carrots or celery. Lunch is typically some steamed veg e.g cauliflower, sprouts, broccoli and a vegetarian burger or similar. I also eat strawberries and raspberries with cream.

I have noticed some higher reading mid morning ( 8-9 ) even though I have not eaten anything that day. This might be due to me drinking a lot of coffee in the morning and this causing a liver dump of glucose.
Good evening @Art Of Flowers and welcome back. We're pleased you could join us once again. It will be good to see you back aboard the LC wagon.

Most of us on this FBG thread for diabetes of all types (and the parallel thread for type 2s) test as soon as we wake first thing in the morning. BG numbers rise once we start to move around. That's normal and a modest rise is to be expected.

Logging FBG numbers on waking ensures the conditions are as close to identical as possible and the result provides a helpful benchmark for day to day comparison.

"I have noticed some higher readings mid morning ( 8-9 ) even though I have not eaten anything that day".

Probably because your body needs more fuel and your liver obliges. Given time and a LCHF lifestyle, your FBG readings should fall further, so the rise will begin from a lower starting point. Meanwhile, IME, you can stop a rise if you wish with a modest snack; a teaspoon or two of sunflower or pumpkin seeds or four to five almonds or hazelnuts should do the trick.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All so a welcome 6.5 today after a light day of food yesterday. But oc that doesn’t always equate! @Estragon welcome home to the Hive @RosemaryJackson hope you aren't coming down with anything and its just T2 being a pickle @flonvic consistent good scores @Omar51 its interesting you are having similar weather to us, mornings and nights can be cool still.
Have a great Monday everyone.

RD02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hba1c App

Estimated average glucose
mmol/L. to mg/dL
I use OneTouch Verio IQ meter, which doesn’t give second decimal place on a test reading.

Like I say was just curious, as over a 90 day period Dexcom clarity gathers a staggering 25,920 readings but only outputs a single decimal place, must just be a software decimal place output

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 this morning. Yippe….finally got most of the garden planted. Tomatoes and peppers will wait for a few more days as the weather is still unsettled.
six weeks of no dairy carnivore and doing great. I’m halfway there as my goal is a strict 12 weeks