What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11.4 at 6:30. Done nothing different from the last week and it's gone up! :-(

As a newbie you might find you suffer from dawn phenomenon when your blood sugars will just rise seemingly inexplicably if that is the case then you might find you have lower numbers overnight and the higher number is no different from other days, just you caught the timing a little different- stick with the low carb diet and it will come down again.

My own numbers - 4.4 overnight fasting -(ave yesterday 4.7) diet still very much underway and working (see blog) ! 4.8 kg this week - as if it were a brand new diet ! - brilliant

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11.4 at 6:30. Done nothing different from the last week and it's gone up! :-(

hey do you count the number of grams of carbs you eat in a day , if not that´ll really make a change , if going under 100 grams of carbs in total on a day most can get back in non-diabetic levels like under 6.5 mmol
the most easy way is to eat a breakfast almost without carbs , like eggs and bacon, or ham and cheese, or avocado with chopped onions and tomatoes, coffee with cream / tea with cream... sausages and fried tomatoes , omelet with spring onions and mushrooms., deviled eggs. and alike ... then you only need to count carbs in the other meals you eat..

try to avoid bread, potatoes, rice , pasta ,corn , cakes , fruits and sweets

LIDL sell a protein roll that hardly contain any carbs I think it is a great substitute for average bread.. , I think it tastes great epecially if eaten with meat or cheese or avocado spread

otherwise you can find lots of suggestions in the threads and links about low carb foods in this forum.

Reactions: ziggy_w

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
Well this is odd,! I usually have a few vodkas on ice during the course of the evening and my blood sugar is usually between 5 and 6 in the morning before breakfast. I decided to give the booze a rest for a while last week but now I make up with what feels like a hangover! My quality of sleep has deteriorated and my blood sugar now reads around 7.5 on average, any answers?

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi Cumberland
Thanks for the welcome it's been so hectic since May not had time to think about myself,things getting better now so will make the time. It's nice to be back how are you getting on.
We are going on the York meet up on 11/8/17 arranged by William and someone else, are you going.?
Need to see to evening Meal now speak with you again Best wishes Kathx

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well this is odd,! I usually have a few vodkas on ice during the course of the evening and my blood sugar is usually between 5 and 6 in the morning before breakfast. I decided to give the booze a rest for a while last week but now I make up with what feels like a hangover! My quality of sleep has deteriorated and my blood sugar now reads around 7.5 on average, any answers?

I think it is happening because your liver is now not occupied with the alcohol and then feels free to produce more blod glucose from proteins.., type 2 diabtics very often has a too active liver transforming too much proetin into bloos glucoe and especially in the mornings... when busy taking care of alcohol the liver can not do this as much... another aspect is the liver can get used to taking care of alcohol and end up being able to doing both if alcohol is drunk on a daily basis... not ideal ..

Reactions: Cumberland