What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ziggy_w yes I do enjoy cooking love casserole meals in winter, and my home made veg or tomato soup but I have a new recipes and it's gone round all the staff at my local Aldi like wildfire they love it too so I'll give it you to try.
It's called Beer Baked Sausages with Dijon Mustard
You can use any sausage but I use German bratwurst with chilli gives it a nice flavour
1x400g pack pork sausage
1 onion
2 heaped teaspoons Dijon mustard
250 ml Aldi Banks Bitter
1x400tin chopped Tomatoes the tinned tomatoes the
1 beef stock cube
1 teaspoon sugar ( I know sugar) but it burns off when cooking
For Cheesy Mash to go with casserole
1kg potatoes
75gms butter
75gms Chedder cheese or strong flavoured cheese
100ml milk
500 g Chantenay carrots ( tiny carrots from Aldi in a bag)
Oil
Black pepper
Method
Preheat oven to 200centigrade gas mark 6
Wash and peel carrots peel, put into a roasting tin then, onion chop in to slices, Cut sausage into 3 piece chunks cook in frying pan with onion with a little oil until browned.
Add the tinned tomatoes,mustard and beer,crumble over stock cube season with black pepper sprinkle over teaspoon Sugar bring to boil then transfer to ovenproof dish cook in oven for 30 mins
Put carrots in a roasting tin drizzle with a little oil and put them in oven with casserole 200 centigrade gas 6 cook them for same amount of time each.
Cheesy Mash to go with casserole
Boil cut up 1kg chunks of potatoes until cooked Mash with butter and a little milk mix in to potatoes grated cheese about 75 grams
Serve along side of roasted carrots and sausage casserole. Cheap meal and tastes fabulous! Enjoy and let me know what you all think if you try it. K

Thanks so much for the recipe @Granny_grump_ . It really does sound delicious -- will probably try it this weekend, but need to find a substitute for some of the carbier ingredients. Looking forward to trying it.

Last edited:

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
4.3 this morning

Wasn’t expecting much this morning after a baked potato last night. 4.3 this morning I def got my night time dose better than I expected.

I’ve experienced winter on victoza and byetta before but never on insulin. I’m intreagued not sure what to expect or how to compensate yet

D

Diabeticliberty

4.3 this morning

Wasn’t expecting much this morning after a baked potato last night. 4.3 this morning I def got my night time dose better than I expected.

I’ve experienced winter on victoza and byetta before but never on insulin. I’m intreagued not sure what to expect or how to compensate yet

I am a very long term type 1 and have injected insulin for over 30 years. I personally do not find summer and winter requirements any different to each other. I have never found the need to compensate. I don't wish to be overly simplistic but perhaps just adjust your insulin according to what your blood sugars are reading. I am sorry that I cannot offer anything more groundbreaking :)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

3.6 today

felt a bit low even for me (and I usually average a bit higher now with the omeprazole) so I had an oatcake and some butter ;)

retested and it's 4.3 now :)

we had our main meal at lunchtime yesterday then a nice long walk and a big bowl of homemade bacon and veggie soup for tea so perhaps I needed a bit bigger supper? There was quite a frost during the night here.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Goedemorgen, mijn vrolijke band van diabetische superman en wondervrouw. I bought myself a unicycle of all things. Yes folks a unicycle. After riding around my garden at 4.00am this morning I am currently in A+E and have had 3.5 pints of blood transfused to replace the stuff that is dripping off the rose bushes at the bottom end if my garden. My blood sugars are 3.5mmols by the way. Roll up, roll up for a wonderful Wednesday :)
I used to work with a guy who cycled to work and back every day on a unicycle up hill down hill rain or shine I could never make out whether he was totally insane or just slightly crazy.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi John ah remember pea wet but you only got that over your chips at chippy if you couldn't afford the peas when I was a girl,and Wigan was built on bakery's making pies and I have to admit I liked pies from some of the family owned bakery's but haven't had a pie for years stomach can't tolerate the pastry. K
When we lived in Wigan Smack Barm Pea Wet was grandsons fav. from the chippy and it was a potato fritter in a barm (and barms in Wigan where always about the size of a dinner plate) with mushy peas and we would have chips with it God knows what that would do to blood sugar if I attempted it now.

There was a nice pie shop on the road to Atherton but can't remember now what it was called.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Thanks so much for the recipe @Granny_grump_ . It really does sound delicious -- will probably try it this weekend, but need to find a substitute for some of the carbier ingredients. Looking forward to trying it.

Hi Ziggy you could do other roasted vegetables instead of carrots and substitute potatoes with sweet potatoe would be a better option,but you will work it out you probably use other foodstuffs to substitute carbs. I don't mind a small amount of carbs now that I'm near my target weight so I can see how it affects my BG levels. But everyone has their own way and I appreciate that,do let me know what you substitute things for and I could give your recipe a try. Hope you enjoy it. Kathleen

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When we lived in Wigan Smack Barm Pea Wet was grandsons fav. from the chippy and it was a potato fritter in a barm (and barms in Wigan where always about the size of a dinner plate) with mushy peas and we would have chips with it God knows what that would do to blood sugar if I attempted it now.

There was a nice pie shop on the road to Atherton but can't remember now what it was called.

Hi John didn't know you used to live in Wigan where abouts,in Atherton was and still is a pie shop called Dawson's don't recall any other and I've lived in Hindley Green and Hindley since I was 5 years old. How long ago are we talking about. K Just remembered there is one on corner Swan Lane on the way to Atherton

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning everyone, 15.2 this morning. I have a cold, no I will change that to .......................I have Man Flu, devastating I know, its proven by my test this morning.

Hi johnpol Do hope your soon recovered from your man-flu it's a terrible affliction when you get it.!!!!K No seriously get better soon K

Reactions: johnpol