What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay @PenguinMum. Good to see you in the 5s @JohnEGreen. Nice and close to 5s @DJC3 and I agree with your post in response to @Pipp - bad news 2 days running. I have no reliable fbg as new sensors always give comedy readings despite sitting on my arm for 36 hrs. Plenty of strips, 2 meters but blow that for a game of soldiers. I slept 8 hrs - unheard of- and Spurs won away so all good.

Reactions: karen8967 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Follow up to @Pipp & @DJC3 conversation: "results show that achieving a weight loss target is more likely, and drop-out is lower, if losing weight is done quickly;" "Most rapid weight loss studies are now based on 800 calories a day, which is high enough to be sustainable and give the nutrients you need, and low enough to lead to rapid weight loss and other beneficial health changes. Rapid weight loss encourages your body to switch over to fat burning. It also reduces insulin levels, increases growth hormone and boosts levels of a hormone called BDNF in the brain, which helps improve your mood. " Katrina Purcell quoted in https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/lose-weight-second-wave-dr-michael-mosley/

Reactions: Debandez

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Follow up to @Pipp & @DJC3 conversation: "results show that achieving a weight loss target is more likely, and drop-out is lower, if losing weight is done quickly;" "Most rapid weight loss studies are now based on 800 calories a day, which is high enough to be sustainable and give the nutrients you need, and low enough to lead to rapid weight loss and other beneficial health changes. Rapid weight loss encourages your body to switch over to fat burning. It also reduces insulin levels, increases growth hormone and boosts levels of a hormone called BDNF in the brain, which helps improve your mood. " Katrina Purcell quoted in https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/lose-weight-second-wave-dr-michael-mosley/
Thank you, @ianpspurs .
I wouldn’t rule out another stint of Newcastle diet..... but, I doubt I could get the same level of monitoring and support as previously. This was from GP, (who currently has drawbridge up, and boiling oil on the turrents to repel invaders) and the local pharmacy, which is picking up the slack to provide services that one would normally expect from the GP. Although I know enough, or at least think I do, about how my body responds to Very Low Calorie Diets, I am not sure now is the best time. It would be very beneficial if I could shake off a couple of stones, though.

today fasting was exactly 6.0

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, @ianpspurs .
I wouldn’t rule out another stint of Newcastle diet..... but, I doubt I could get the same level of monitoring and support as previously. This was from GP, (who currently has drawbridge up, and boiling oil on the turrents to repel invaders) and the local pharmacy, which is picking up the slack to provide services that one would normally expect from the GP. Although I know enough, or at least think I do, about how my body responds to Very Low Calorie Diets, I am not sure now is the best time. It would be very beneficial if I could shake off a couple of stones, though.

today fasting was exactly 6.0
Hug is nor for the fbg, which was fine and dandy, but for the desire to try VLC diet again but having no support.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hug is nor for the fbg, which was fine and dandy, but for the desire to try VLC diet again but having no support.
Thank you.
Though I do not particularly desire trying VLCD again. Inever say “never”. The support required would include checking to see if medication for other conditions need to be adjusted, and more frequent HbA1c tests. where I live they are currently as rare as hens’ teeth.
Until recently my main reason for being aware of the need to reduce weight would be to control BG levels. The recently added concern, which you highlighted very well, would be the problems associated with excess weight on recovery from respiratory distress. At my age, and with co-morbidities, I doubt I would be a candidate for much medical intervention.
How dark and morbid this has become. I also fear we are derailing the thread, so will add a disclaimer....
I am happy with my lot, and accept I have done as much as possible to be as well as I can be, but that doesn’t mean I will stop striving for improvement.

Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hang in there, @Pipp. We are here to support you in any way we can.
And although your doctor is hiding away, I could not help smiling at your description of his actions and lack thereof.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.6 for me
FB_IMG_1584048610937.jpg

Reactions: philchap1

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.
Though I do not particularly desire trying VLCD again. Inever say “never”. The support required would include checking to see if medication for other conditions need to be adjusted, and more frequent HbA1c tests. where I live they are currently as rare as hens’ teeth.
Until recently my main reason for being aware of the need to reduce weight would be to control BG levels. The recently added concern, which you highlighted very well, would be the problems associated with excess weight on recovery from respiratory distress. At my age, and with co-morbidities, I doubt I would be a candidate for much medical intervention.
How dark and morbid this has become. I also fear we are derailing the thread, so will add a disclaimer....
I am happy with my lot, and accept I have done as much as possible to be as well as I can be, but that doesn’t mean I will stop striving for improvement.
I am so very sorry if I introduced thoughts you didn't need. I sometimes post without engaging my brain. On topic, I think my calibrated fbg was 4.8 - new sensor is giving out 7s like confetti. Our baby is 28 today - what happened there? Glad Fish Finger Thursday worked @PenguinMum. Super Salmon (and avo) Salad Friday today - what's not to like?

Last edited:
Reactions: toddy35 and DJC3

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so very sorry if I introduced thoughts you didn't need. I sometimes post without engaging my brain. On topic, I think my calibrated fbg was 4.8 - new sensor is giving out 7s like confetti. Our baby is 28 today - what happened there? Glad Fish Finger Thursday worked @PenguinMum. Super Salmon (and avo) Salad Friday today - what's not to like?
No worries at all about your posts, @ianpspurs. In fact, your points regarding reducing weight in preparation for winter possible second wave of Covid 19 are extremely relevant and useful.