what was your last hba1c

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
On diagnosis 6.4(2/2/06 crept steadily up to 8.3(2/7/08) last hba1c 8.1(23/11/08) heading in the right direction, just changed to basal bolus regime and carb counting, my son Andrew 10yrs old.
Suzi

krismassey101

My last one was 7.8 and now have to test 8 times a day until my next appt.

Has anyone had a HBA1c more than once a year, I have only been diagnosed for 3 years and have only had 3 HBA1c tests in that time, is this usual or is my PCT ****.

Thanks
Kris

blackbird

My last hbA1c was 7.5, taken in October, but that was when I was on Mixtard, with blood glucose all over the place. I've changed now to a basal/bolus regime and would expect (hope) my next test will be lower.

malky

My last one was 9.3 in september, the have now changed my levimir for lantus since and i am awaiting the results for tuesdays test.

Kris i have been diagnosed for about 3.5 years and i get mine check about 3-5 times a year

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya kris,
my area check hba1cs every 6mnths :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It used to be every 6 months up here in Edinburgh. As more people are diagnosed, so the resources are spread thinner. Now we have them every 7 months.

All the best,

fergus

jopar

Here it's every 6 months via GP, the only time yo can get one quicker than 6 months is if authroised by the consultant... If a GP tries then the hospital will refuse to carry out the lab tests!!!

I shall know what my latest Hb1Ac's are tomorrow... I wasn't suppecting them until I saw my consultant at the begining of January at my appointment... But have been called in by my doctor to discuss the results....

Anniebell

Kris - at my last visit to Hospital my consultant gave me some blood test forms so I could go in and get my HbA1c tested when convenient for me. I can also use them to get my GP to do it. I was advised not to get it done any more frequently than every 3 months though. My last one was 6.3 and I'm perfectly happy with that as it's been steady for some time and was told it was practically perfect as it is in the mid range of the "ideal" band.
Annie

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
When my HBA1c was 7.1, clinic were happy with it, I wasn't. At the time my blood sugars would fulctuate daily between 2.4 to 15. Sometimes it would go as high as 20. Despite me telling the clinic of the probs I was having probs, they always put "good control" in my notes!. I had a look on my last visit. It made me wonder what the real value of the HBA1c test is.
I recently met an older type-2 who's HBA1c was under 5 and his docs were still badgering him. I assured him he prob had nothing to worry about with these levels, but am puzzled why my consultant told me it was ok for my sugars to rise as high as 15 every day??
Wondered if any other type-1forum members have "ok" HBA1c results while having such fluctuations in blood sugars.
Must say that since changing to pork I no longer have these fluctuations, unless I overcompensate for a hypo, then I know it's my fault and why it's happened.
Jus

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
I was diagnosed as Type 2, three years ago. I have been on Insulin, Metformin, then Gliclazide and now on 62 units of Novomix 30 daily (increasing the dose every three days) plus Gliclazide tablets. So far, all have failed to bring my HbA1c down and it is climbing steadily and now at 10.8% (SEE BELOW). :roll:

UPDATE 5th December 2010: As you will see in my signature below (which updates on all posts automatically), things have changed pretty fast! 516 units of insulin now, is a lot more than 62 units. I was so concerned that I visited my GP a few days ago & he has put me on Orlistat (Xenical) capsules. These capsules stop about 30% of ingested fat from being absorbed & instead, the fat is ejected anally. The result is bright orange liquid fat being projected all over the toilet bowl by lots of flatulence! The leaflet with the capsules warns of flatulence & incontinence being very common side-effects. I shall, for the first time since I was a baby, have to wear "protection", in the form of panty-liners; and YES, I AM a MAN! :lol: The capsules are designed to encourage weight loss & they are certainly encouraging me to further reduce the little amounts of fat that I eat; so as to avoid the unpleasant consequences.

My GP warned me of the side-effects & he also said that a REALLY GOOD aspect of the Orlistat capsules, is that they reduce the Blood Glucose of diabetes patients. By heck, he was right! I'm in my 5th day of taking this medicine & have reduced my insulin from 516 units to 440 units; even after doing this, my BG before meals is in the 4.5 to 5.0 range. It was 9.0 to 13.0 five days ago! :shock: :D :D

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Kansenji,
Sorry to hear you're having probs-10.5 doesn't sound ok; so what are your clinic proposing to do about it??
Jus

Manogwent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
carling lager
My first /last was 9.8. had appt with GP to discuss my DX as Type 2 and found my BG levels had been 15 just prior to DX being confirmed. he has asked me back for end of feb to have another test done and i also got appointment with practice nurse in same month. been testing when i can and i have been running from 5 to 10, depending on what i eat, shot up after a byriani. Where i live doesn't seem to be any hassle with tests etc, GP is very helpful. :p

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
janabelle said:
Hi Kansenji,
Sorry to hear you're having probs-10.5 doesn't sound ok; so what are your clinic proposing to do about it??
Jus
They have told me to keep on increasing insulin doses before my evening meal, until my Fasting blood glucose drops below 10 mmols for 3 consecutive mornings. Then I will increase the before-breakfast insulin until my before-evening-meal blood glucose is also below 10 mmols. Then - I don't know what the plan is.

The problem as I see it, is that my blood glucose readings are the same now (62 units of Novomix per day) as they were when I started on Novomix at 16 units per day! I would have expected some resultant drop in blood glucose; perhaps my body is becoming more resistant to the insulin as the dose increases? :? That would be just my luck. :lol:

8th November 2010 - NOTE: (see below) how much my daily insulin dose has risen!

hellboy

sorry to say but i have been diabetic type 1 for the past 16 years and mine have been rather hgh double figures high but over the last few appointments i have been at 9 they say 7 is better but they said only if i get pregnant should it be below 5 but thats only what they told be could be different for others
sorry if no help.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have your healthcare team given you any dietary advice Kasenji?

All the best,

fergus

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
fergus said:
Have your healthcare team given you any dietary advice Kasenji?

All the best,

fergus
Yes, I have seen a dietician; the problem is that dieticians expect me to eat far larger meals than I currently eat and I am already on the verge of being classed as Obese. I have skinny arms, a non-extistent bum and skinny legs; the only external fat is on the lower half of my abdomen (no "spare tyres"). I must have excess fat inside my abdomen as my waist size is far too big.

It seems that I am eating the right sorts of food and in fairly small amounts, but I get almost no exercise. Extreme pain caused by my prolapsed lumbar disc (due to a lumbar bone deformity from birth) and my asthma make it difficult to do much exercise, unfortunately.

deansp8

hi mine last hba1c was 11.7 i cant get it to go down below 10 but doctors have finely going to put me on a pump

the loest it ever been is 9.6 that was 5 years a go

i carb count and do evere thing i shud it just wont go down lets see wat the pump dose fingers crost

Red_5

My last hba1c was 7.7 which was a drastic reduction from previous times,especially as a kid when it was maybe 10 or 11.