What's for Dinner Tonight?

pedro606

Viv,

Where was that recipe for cauliflower cheese. My wife has avoided making shepherds/cottage pies because of the spud content etc. Now we can have it!

Thank God for cauliflower. It makes a very acceptable substitute for rice as well.

The sites I got my stuff from are:-

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.co.uk/

http://www.avidlite.co.uk/acatalog/Mixe ... 3wodTizA0Q

I also got some 'egg white' mixture which I sometimes use from

http://www.eggnation.co.uk/

I also gor some shirataki noodles from

https://ssl1.lon.gb.securedata.net/japa ... ki&x=6&y=3

They are not everyone's cup of tea. But we find them acceptable to use. Good in stir fries and soups etc.

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
My supper last night and leftovers for lunch today, yummy.

Blackeye beans salad with toms and cucambers, olive oil, lemon, pinch of salt, two slices of home made bread (no added sugar) washed down with a mug of tea and sugar free jelly for afters.

Attachments

• 13032009014.jpg
    13032009014.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 793

viv1969

Pedro...

I didn’t see a recipe here for it, just a post of the idea.

My own cauliflower cheese isn’t carb free, but it’s just the cornflour in the cheese sauce that has carbs. I make the sauce with milk and water (2/3 milk to 1/3 water) which I thicken with the cornflower. I then melt in a lot of good strong cheddar until I have a nice thick cheesy sauce It’s important that the sauce is quite thick otherwise it mixes too much with the mince)

I put the cauliflower (roughly chopped) on top of the shepherd mix and pour over the cheese sauce. I then sprinkle over some more grated cheese and put the whole dish in the oven on 190 degrees until the grated cheese bubbles, and voila!

Compared to a pile of mashed potatoes, the carbs in the thickener are minimal, I think; and to be honest it’s just so yummy!

(Sheperd mix is nothing out of the ordinary. Minced beef / lamb, onion, mushrooms, Maggi seasoning, salt, garlic & red wine)

Trinkwasser

popps said:
Hi Pedro,
Is Dreamfields as low carb as it states? Only 5g digestable carbs? I presume it must be, otherwise many people on this forum and elsewhere would be vilifying it.

Dreamfileds has been out for longer in the States. My general impression is that for most people it does exactly what it says on the tin, but for some it is digested more or less like normal pasta (especially likely to happen if overcooked or reheated) and for another significant minority it will cause an unexpected spike after several hours rather than immediately.

For that reason when I trialled it I tested for several hours afterwards: my response was that my BG was mildly elevated for a few hours with no drastic spikes, much as expected

You can't discover how *you* will react until you test for yourself unfortunately. Best to have your running shoes ready <G>

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
I'm going to my mum's tomorrow so I'll be doing a mushroom "non-risotto" - Onions, mushrooms, condensed mushroom soup and cauliflower rice. I make up enough for both of us, eat mine for my evening meal tonight and take the rest up for mum tomorrow. Easy peasy! 8)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had time to cook last night so I sat down to eat turnip dauphinois, corned beef and some purple sprouting.

Pudding was my fave of rhubarb, cream and chopped almonds.

wiflib

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Tonight I've got salad with Pigeon breast and balsamic dressing.

Loves it.

Trinkwasser

Next time someone asks "but what can you eat if you don't eat all those yummy carbs?" point them to this thread. Make sure they are wearing a bib first or the drool will get in their keyboard

Tonight, a big hunk of frozen salmon with spinach, yesterday sausages and purple sprouting, the day before the curried remnants of the chicken with bacon multicoloured peppers carrots celery garlic etc. and brussels sprouts, oh and quinoa.

In betweens, fish, prawns, loads of salads, olives, cheese but not too many nuts for technical reasons

Trinkwasser

Aadrgon said:
Aren't you going to defrost the salmon then Trink ? :lol:

Not only defrosted but grilled, or as our transatlantic cousins say, broiled.

Tonight was a pseudo-Bolognese sauce with streaky bacon, quorn, mushrooms, coloured peppers, garlic, tomato puree, paprika, oregano and more garlic over bean sprouts fried in sesame oil instead of spaghetti and washed down with a rather mediocre red wine.

You can't come round tomorrow either (lamb chops with rosemary and some sort of greens) well perhaps you can if you promise to take some of the rosemary tree home with you, I fear the majority of it will have to go through the shredder or I will no longer be able to get out the back door

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Tonight for me is a Waitrose Vintage cheddar, potato and Leek tartlet (24.6g carb) with a nicoise salad. Followed by either a pear or a couple of plums. No wine all week because I've had a terrible cold and been dosed up to the eyeballs with day nurse since Sunday!

Aadrgon

Trinkwasser said:
You can't come round tomorrow either (lamb chops with rosemary and some sort of greens)

I'm going to have to interfere with my wife's shopping list I generally end up with ham and eggs although last night I had a bowl of bolognaise with grated parmesan (no pasta )

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Thread split. New topic in General chat 'More inane ramblings'

Can we now get back on topic here?

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Spag Boll with home made sauce, then i know whats in it, lol.
The wife says it`s better than than shop stuff.
Mince with all the fat boiled off then plenty of fresh toms, I work at a veg market, and what ever spice you fancy.
Graham1441

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tonight I think I'm going to make one of my new favourite meals...turkey breast stuffed with mushroom and onion, wrapped in Serrento ham and baked in the oven, served with a creme fraishe and garlic sauce. Roasted chunks of butternut squash (great alternative to potatoes and also really nice boiled along with a clove of garilic then mashed) and some salad with a home made balsamic vinegar based dressing. Yummy! I thought low carb meant boring but I've concocted loads of lovely meals recently! Would be nice to follow it up with a giant sticky toffee pudding mind ;-)

x

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
for us, its a nice, pan fried peppered steak with lots of creamy sauce, yummy
roast chipped butternut squash, stmd green beans and carrots
followed by yet another piece fergus,s sponge cake( spread with (someone on here )sorry i cant remember who,) lots of h/made nuttella spread, and some more d/cream
all washed down with a glass of red wine lovely i do have a glass of water to lol

Trinkwasser

Lucky I waited until AFTER I'd eaten to read this lot or I'd be hungry all over again!

Stir fry with bacon, coloured peppers, garlic, crab, bamboo shoots, lime juice and too much ginger among the other spices dammit, a great lump fell out of the pot while I was shaking it and completely overwhelmed everything else. Served with quinoa and a rather nice Australian Cab Sav

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Tonight it's a lamb dinner...my birthday meal!! Naughty but nice pudding....slice chocolate cake. All from Iceland. Well, it's only one day a year :D