1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What's for Dinner Tonight?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Orchid, Feb 3, 2009.

1. cugila

cugila · Master

gillyh.

Birthday......you kept that quiet ? Happy Birthday to you from this 'lizard'. Hope you have a great day - and you haven't had to go to work ?
    Enjoy your day. :D :D :D

Ken

2. Bubsy Malone

Bubsy Malone · Well-Known Member

Many happy returns gilly

3. Trinkwasser

Trinkwasser · Well-Known Member

4. Bubsy Malone

Bubsy Malone · Well-Known Member

Many happy returns Trink, I know all about Aries, my best friend is one, her eldest daughter, and her twin niece and nephew are all born in April! Oh and my cousin as well!

5. jeenie1940

jeenie1940 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Trink, 8) Hope you had a good one
    Cheers

my mum, would have been, 90 today,

6. fergus

fergus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Many happy returns TW.

fergus

7. Trinkwasser

No I just eat fish. Oh hang on, I eat sheep as well.

Yes I had an excellent meal of griddled squid and a couple of nice walks despite the arctic breeze. Fortunately or unfortunately however you choose to look at it one of my presents was a selection of excellent red wines, hence my temporary absence. But I'm much better now . . .

8. jeenie1940

Worra about Bull, :roll: Trink, from a Taurian :lol:

btw about the drink , is it ok to drink brandy :?: :?:

9. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Will we notice any difference .:lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Aadrgon

Aadrgon · Well-Known Member

What time do you want us to come round :lol:

Have a pleasant evening :)

11. jeenie1940

Copied from Mark Sissons
    Daily Apple

Roasted Pork Loin with Apples, Onions and Sauerkraut

This week we gave you brief history of sauerkraut, explained why you might want to add it to your diet, and even gave you a step-by-step guide to making your own. But we all know man cannot live on sauerkraut alone. The solution? A special edition of “What’s for Dinner Tonight?” that not only includes the aforementioned fermented cabbage (extra points if you use your own homemade version), but also incorporates a few of the tips and strategies we profiled in our recent Depression Diet post: this recipe only has a few ingredients, uses a relatively inexpensive cut of meat, makes good use of inexpensive spices to add flavor and freezes beautifully. Not bad, ey?

Now on to the recipe…

Ingredients:
    3 lbs of pork loin
    1 large onion, sliced thin
    2 apples, peeled and sliced
    1 lb sauerkraut
    Salt, pepper and paprika to taste

Method:
    First, select a roasting pan large enough for your pork loin to lay flat. Season pork loin with salt, pepper and paprika to taste and roast in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven, remove loin from pan and set aside. Line roasting pan with the sauerkraut (juice and all), top with pork loin and arrange apple and onion slices on top. Return to oven for an additional 45 minutes (total cooking time should run about 20-30 minutes per pound of meat so adjust your time accordingly) or until internal temperature of pork loin registers 170 degrees on a meat thermometer. Serve.

Alternatively, to get the full benefits of the healthy probiotics found in the sauerkraut keep the kraut to the side and serve it cold with the cooked pork loin, apples and onions. If you go this route place the pork loin on top of the apple and onion slices in the pan and still use some of the sauerkraut juice.

Nutrition Analysis:
    Analysis provided courtesy of FitDay.com based on 1/6 of full recipe.

Calories: 616 calories
    Fat: 33.3 grams (49% calories from fat)
    Carbs: 13.8 grams (8% calories from carbs)
    Protein: 62.4 grams (43% calories from protein)

ENJOY :)

12. Trinkwasser

Oh yes I eat beef. And venison but I don't think there's an astrological sign for that.

Your best bet would be to try the brandy in small doses and test to see what occurs. I had some around Christmas, it helped to get the Christmas pudding down without spiking.

13. pedro606

pedro606 · Well-Known Member

Recently I have been having roasted vegetables with chicken, beef etc. I use a mixture of coloured peppers, courgettes, red onion, butternut squash and mushrooms. I sprinkle with low sodium salt and some pepper and then drizzle olive oil over the lot and then stick it in the oven for about 25 mins.

Much as I do like them -- it is getting a tad boring now. Can anyone suggest a way of 'boosting' it up a bit. I want to try to keep root veg away as much as poss if i can as I do belive in low carb eating. Are there any sort of other veg that would make it better or even somethig to mix in the oil or extra herbs etc.

It is such an easy dish to cook.

14. Thirsty

Thirsty · Well-Known Member

pedro, if you enjoy spicey food, try coating the veg with a cajun spice mixture before cooking. The commercial varieties tend to contain a lot of salt and monosodium glutamate, so try making your own using this recipe, using your low sodium alternative.

Otherwise, I like to add basil, ground rosemary, oregano, halved baby plum tomatoes, lemon juice and chopped garlic to dishes like this, (tarragon's good too, if you like the flavour). Worth a try.

15. Marky74

Marky74 · Well-Known Member

Thursday is pizza night.. my fave night of the week :)

16. pedro606

pedro606 · Well-Known Member

Thirsty,

Many thanks for that. I shall certainly try a few of those ingredients tonight. I have quite a bit of the veg for roasting left. Going to have it with lovely belly pork. Feeling hungry thinking about it!!

17. gillyh

gillyh · Well-Known Member

Friday is simple meal night. tonights is a wheatgerm bagel with a slice of grilled bacon and a sausage on....scrummy!! :D

18. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

tnight im having stew mmmmmmmmmm :D

19. cugila

cugila · Master

Tonight is a celebration night for me.

A very nice matured Aberdeen Angus Sirloin Steak, two small new potatoes, Green Salad and Low fat Coleslaw. To top it off a small glass or two of Bordeaux.
    Then a ripe, succulent Yellow flesh Nectarine.

After that I don't care ..... :D

Ken.

20. Reetpetite

Reetpetite Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Friday night is curry night! I'm having Chicken Tandoori (my own healthy recipe) with large salad and yoghurt dressing - can't wait. I've made myself hungry just thinking about!

Rita :p

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook