What's for Dinner Tonight?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
gillyh said:
Tonight it's a lamb dinner...my birthday meal!! Naughty but nice pudding....slice chocolate cake. All from Iceland. Well, it's only one day a year :D

gillyh.

Birthday......you kept that quiet ? Happy Birthday to you from this 'lizard'. Hope you have a great day - and you haven't had to go to work ?
Enjoy your day. :D :D :D

Ken

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Many happy returns Trink, I know all about Aries, my best friend is one, her eldest daughter, and her twin niece and nephew are all born in April! Oh and my cousin as well!

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy Birthday Trink, 8) Hope you had a good one
Cheers

my mum, would have been, 90 today,

Trinkwasser

No I just eat fish. Oh hang on, I eat sheep as well.

Yes I had an excellent meal of griddled squid and a couple of nice walks despite the arctic breeze. Fortunately or unfortunately however you choose to look at it one of my presents was a selection of excellent red wines, hence my temporary absence. But I'm much better now . . .

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Worra about Bull, :roll: Trink, from a Taurian :lol:

btw about the drink , is it ok to drink brandy :?: :?:

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Copied from Mark Sissons
Daily Apple

Roasted Pork Loin with Apples, Onions and Sauerkraut

This week we gave you brief history of sauerkraut, explained why you might want to add it to your diet, and even gave you a step-by-step guide to making your own. But we all know man cannot live on sauerkraut alone. The solution? A special edition of “What’s for Dinner Tonight?” that not only includes the aforementioned fermented cabbage (extra points if you use your own homemade version), but also incorporates a few of the tips and strategies we profiled in our recent Depression Diet post: this recipe only has a few ingredients, uses a relatively inexpensive cut of meat, makes good use of inexpensive spices to add flavor and freezes beautifully. Not bad, ey?

Now on to the recipe…

Ingredients:
3 lbs of pork loin
1 large onion, sliced thin
2 apples, peeled and sliced
1 lb sauerkraut
Salt, pepper and paprika to taste

Method:
First, select a roasting pan large enough for your pork loin to lay flat. Season pork loin with salt, pepper and paprika to taste and roast in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven, remove loin from pan and set aside. Line roasting pan with the sauerkraut (juice and all), top with pork loin and arrange apple and onion slices on top. Return to oven for an additional 45 minutes (total cooking time should run about 20-30 minutes per pound of meat so adjust your time accordingly) or until internal temperature of pork loin registers 170 degrees on a meat thermometer. Serve.

Alternatively, to get the full benefits of the healthy probiotics found in the sauerkraut keep the kraut to the side and serve it cold with the cooked pork loin, apples and onions. If you go this route place the pork loin on top of the apple and onion slices in the pan and still use some of the sauerkraut juice.

Nutrition Analysis:
Analysis provided courtesy of FitDay.com based on 1/6 of full recipe.

Calories: 616 calories
Fat: 33.3 grams (49% calories from fat)
Carbs: 13.8 grams (8% calories from carbs)
Protein: 62.4 grams (43% calories from protein)

ENJOY :)

Trinkwasser

jeenie said:
Worra about Bull, :roll: Trink, from a Taurian :lol:

btw about the drink , is it ok to drink brandy :?: :?:

Oh yes I eat beef. And venison but I don't think there's an astrological sign for that.

Your best bet would be to try the brandy in small doses and test to see what occurs. I had some around Christmas, it helped to get the Christmas pudding down without spiking.

pedro606

Recently I have been having roasted vegetables with chicken, beef etc. I use a mixture of coloured peppers, courgettes, red onion, butternut squash and mushrooms. I sprinkle with low sodium salt and some pepper and then drizzle olive oil over the lot and then stick it in the oven for about 25 mins.

Much as I do like them -- it is getting a tad boring now. Can anyone suggest a way of 'boosting' it up a bit. I want to try to keep root veg away as much as poss if i can as I do belive in low carb eating. Are there any sort of other veg that would make it better or even somethig to mix in the oil or extra herbs etc.

It is such an easy dish to cook.

Thirsty

pedro, if you enjoy spicey food, try coating the veg with a cajun spice mixture before cooking. The commercial varieties tend to contain a lot of salt and monosodium glutamate, so try making your own using this recipe, using your low sodium alternative.

CAJUN SPICE MIX
===============
1/4 Cup of salt
2 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. paprika
1-1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. freshly ground white pepper
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Combine all ingredients in a small jar.
(The spice mix can be stored in a tightly
covered glass jar in a cool dry place out of
direct light for up to 4 months.) Makes about
3/4 cup.

Otherwise, I like to add basil, ground rosemary, oregano, halved baby plum tomatoes, lemon juice and chopped garlic to dishes like this, (tarragon's good too, if you like the flavour). Worth a try.

pedro606

Thirsty,

Many thanks for that. I shall certainly try a few of those ingredients tonight. I have quite a bit of the veg for roasting left. Going to have it with lovely belly pork. Feeling hungry thinking about it!!

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Friday is simple meal night. tonights is a wheatgerm bagel with a slice of grilled bacon and a sausage on....scrummy!! :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
tnight im having stew mmmmmmmmmm :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Tonight is a celebration night for me.

A very nice matured Aberdeen Angus Sirloin Steak, two small new potatoes, Green Salad and Low fat Coleslaw. To top it off a small glass or two of Bordeaux.
Then a ripe, succulent Yellow flesh Nectarine.

After that I don't care ..... :D

Ken.

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Friday night is curry night! I'm having Chicken Tandoori (my own healthy recipe) with large salad and yoghurt dressing - can't wait. I've made myself hungry just thinking about!

Rita :p