What's the best way to give yourself an insulin shot?

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must be doing something very wrong, because I have really bad scar tissue around my (squishy) abdomen. I've been giving myself insulin injections for as long as I can remember; I always find a nice squishy spot (and plenty of it!), pinch it up and ram that needle in at a 90-degree angle. I guess when you've been doing it as long as I have, you're bound to have some scar tissue, but the insulin won't get absorbed as good if you inject it into scarred tissue. What am I doing wrong? Anyone have any pointers? Thanks!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Scar tissue is usually a sign of not rotating injection sites thoroughly enough. Do you use thighs, bum and arms as well?

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What size needle do you use? Do you have excess weight? I never pinch tissue but not sure if that makes any difference.

iHs

Although bolus insulin works fairly fast injected into the tummy, it doesnt take much longer if its injected into the top outer arm and is painless with a 4mm needle and saves tummy marks, scar tissue. Keeps tummy nice so that if a pump is required, infusion sets will be ok.

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Scar tissue is usually a sign of not rotating injection sites thoroughly enough. Do you use thighs, bum and arms as well?

I used to inject in my hip area, but after several years, it got all rough and weird-looking. I used to inject in my upper arm when I was younger, but it actually pinches more than my stomach! I've been using my stomach for many years now, and yes, I rotate. Every shot and a couple of inches apart. I tried my thighs once, but it really hurts on my thighs! (Inner and outer.) And my butt? When I try reaching around, I get a side spasm! And there's no way on earth I'm ever going to ask someone's help shooting me in the butt! LOL

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What size needle do you use? Do you have excess weight? I never pinch tissue but not sure if that makes any difference.

The needles are always different; depending on what the pharmacy gives me. They're very small and ultra fine, though. No, I don't have excess weight; I'm average. A little squishy in the middle, but not heavy. Just out of shape. I tried not pinching the skin up -- but it stings a little, so I keep pinching myself! (Hopefully, one day, I'll wake up!) LOL

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although bolus insulin works fairly fast injected into the tummy, it doesnt take much longer if its injected into the top outer arm and is painless with a 4mm needle and saves tummy marks, scar tissue. Keeps tummy nice so that if a pump is required, infusion sets will be ok.

I suppose I can try my upper arm again, but from memory, it pinched when I was little.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose I can try my upper arm again, but from memory, it pinched when I was little.

Try it again @Alicia R I tried my stomach when I was younger and found it painful so always used legs but as I got older I found injecting in my stomach ok :)