Whats the most important thing you have learned along the way of your Type2?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We are human and all have setbacks at some point.

We were given taste buds in our mouth and sensory for smells for a reason..

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Day by day, I do what I can to keep my heart, liver and kidneys healthy.

Plenty of walking, water and a balanced diet.

So far, my diabetes-related lab results appear ✻normal✻

From Day One, I cut out frankly sugary, greasy and salty foodstuffs ..and I can't say I miss them very much.

Think rich, look poor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ymdawd and dbr10

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Day by day, I do what I can to keep my heart, liver and kidneys healthy.

Plenty of walking, water and a balanced diet.

So far, my diabetes-related lab results appear ✻normal✻

From Day One, I cut out frankly sugary, greasy and salty foodstuffs ..and I can't say I miss them very much.

Think rich, look poor.
I dont miss them either.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
''carbohydrates effectively change into sugar in the blood''- Works for me I am going to think of this , thanks.

Agreed- this is the thing I believe most people would have to get the heads around: bread, pasta, potatoes- even brown rice and oatmeal- not necessarily safe options.
For me it was the related issue that sugar *is* a carbohydrate. I really hadn't thought of it in such terms.
True- I see or read a label with any kind of sugar and its alias's my mind goes right to adding up the carbs and put most things back.

Reactions: Ymdawd

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the most important things I have learned so far are:

- It is up to me. There is no quick fix around the corner. If I want to have a normal CBG, keep my feet/legs, keep my eyesight, continue to be independent, and avoid finding dialysis as a way to meet new people, then I have to take care of me. I have to make the decisions and I have to live with the consequences, good or bad.

- We are all different. What works for me might not work for anyone else

- Even though we are all different, we are not alone.

- cauliflower is NOT the same as potatoes.......for me at least. :)

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think the most important things I have learned so far are:

- It is up to me. There is no quick fix around the corner. If I want to have a normal CBG, keep my feet/legs, keep my eyesight, continue to be independent, and avoid finding dialysis as a way to meet new people, then I have to take care of me. I have to make the decisions and I have to live with the consequences, good or bad.

- We are all different. What works for me might not work for anyone else

- Even though we are all different, we are not alone.

- cauliflower is NOT the same as potatoes.......for me at least. :)
I agree on the cauliflower

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Recently I now only do sweet pots for all and we have ditched the normal pots. Pizza is an LC one by choice and also on request. There are crisps etc in the larder, but they last ages nowadays.
wish i could eat sweet potatoes ... they send my bg levels way up .... sigh:(

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Walking has been proved in a lot of reserach to lower BG over the long term, I know it works for me. Also if I go for a walk in the rain after dinner, by wife does the washing up.....
win win! :)

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you recommend better sources of good fats, some animal, some plant for a lchf diet? thanks. jeff
the fats that work for me are mainly from nuts and dairy - but they may not work for you .....

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i've learned that i need to attend to my spirits as well as my body - getting stressed sends my bg levels up; so not to take things other than my diet and getting enough exercise too seriously, but also not to get freaked if i get the occasional high bg reading. impersonating a cabbage in front of some rubbish tv (scandigloom or anything funny) works wonders :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
i've learned that i need to attend to my spirits as well as my body - getting stressed sends my bg levels up; so not to take things other than my diet and getting enough exercise too seriously, but also not to get freaked if i get the occasional high bg reading. impersonating a cabbage in front of some rubbish tv (scandigloom or anything funny) works wonders :)

'Scandigloom' I love it.

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
BG of 5.2 at 1.50am
Thas the best it has been for a while. Must be on the downward part of the rollercoaster of life.? Or is it the upward part.? Whatever i’ll take it.

Reactions: letstalk1

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I learned in the last 2 months I can get thru Holidays and stick to my low carb eating which I did and even lost 6 Lbs in November with all kinds of foods and treats around me.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
BG of 5.2 at 1.50am
Thas the best it has been for a while. Must be on the downward part of the rollercoaster of life.? Or is it the upward part.? Whatever i’ll take it.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have learned that diabetes gets worse every year.

It does not have to, but will often if you only do the minimum that is needed to get a reasonable result. The people who get the A1C down to about 35 with very low carb seem to do very well long term, but people who get their AC1 down to the 50s (and then consider the "Job to be done") often find that their AC1 increases even when they are keeping to the same diet, so hence have to make an additional set of changes.