When will it end?

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a 57 year old, seriously overweight prediabetic, I started on LCHF just over two weeks ago. Managed to get the macros right once my 'Carbs & Cals' book arrived and found I was actually following Keto. Carried on regardless and found towards the back end of the first week the brain fog descended along with the headaches and occasional racy heart. I realised I was lacking electrolytes, so upped the salt on food (even though I really don't like salt) and made sure I was getting plenty of salad leaves and green veg (broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower, etc). To no avail, I added a cup of Bouillon occasionally to see if that helped. Still headachey, especially first thing in the morning. Eventually tried an electrolyte supplement (High 5 Zero Protect) in water every morning, which helped, but the brain fog and heavy head still exists. So, having tried most of the recognised remedies, is there anything else worth trying? Or is this something I'll have to plough through until it resolves itself. I drink around 2 to 3 litres of water a day to keep hydrated and pee virtually every couple of hours, so I don't think I'm dehydrated. Your opinions would be appreciated.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are overdoing the water... adding extra electrolytes then peeing them out might not be the best idea.
Just drink when thirsty?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are dehydrated, though, probably. You're pouring a lot in, but it's also coming back out... So there's a touch of that there, if you're still headachey/foggy. If it's been two weeks, it shouldn't last much longer though. I'd toss in some coconut water/milk for good electrolyte measure, but... I do think you're almost done. (For me it was 2 weeks, usually, of carb flu.)

I don't know for sure what your heart is up to, though... Odds are you're having a bit of low bloodpressure. When you change your diet, you cut out a lot of pre-processed foods,and those usually contain a lot of salt. (Bread etc, salt is used as a preservative and flavour enhancer, besides being a way to make sure the general population gets enough iodine). If you cut all that out, you also cut out the salt... And then your bloodpressure gets low, your heart can get fluttery. Do you see stars or do things go dark when you stand up fast? I'm no doc, and I can't diagnose, but you might want to up the salts a bit, even if you don't feel quite fond of those. Sorry. :(

Reactions: Marie 2

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes find exactly what @JoKalsbeek has said - that the more I drink and pee, the more I need to drink, because those electolytes get washed out and need replacing. As for quantities - if I only drank when thirsty I would be permanently dehydrated. My thirst doesn't switch on like normal people's. So I make sure I drink to the clock. Tiresome, but boy do I feel better when I am drinking over 3 litres a day.

As for keto flu, some people (rarely) have it for weeks.
A good rough gauge is to think how much carbohydrate you were eating before you went low carb/keto? The more you were having, the more your body is going to kick off when you stop them.

One good thing to bear in mind is that your body learns to switch fuel supply (from glucose to ketones), and it has a memory for the lesson. So you do this once, and your body retains the memory, so it adapts quicker each time. So for most of us (there are no absolutes!), once you have done this once, you won't find it nearly as hard, ever again.

My own experience is that is was really worth sticking to it the first time, and getting properly adapted, because now I can switch back and forth between keto and low carb with no ill effects except the odd wistful craving for a deep fried onion ring ;)

Reactions: Tophat1900

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a 57 year old, seriously overweight prediabetic, I started on LCHF just over two weeks ago. Managed to get the macros right once my 'Carbs & Cals' book arrived and found I was actually following Keto. Carried on regardless and found towards the back end of the first week the brain fog descended along with the headaches and occasional racy heart. I realised I was lacking electrolytes, so upped the salt on food (even though I really don't like salt) and made sure I was getting plenty of salad leaves and green veg (broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower, etc). To no avail, I added a cup of Bouillon occasionally to see if that helped. Still headachey, especially first thing in the morning. Eventually tried an electrolyte supplement (High 5 Zero Protect) in water every morning, which helped, but the brain fog and heavy head still exists. So, having tried most of the recognised remedies, is there anything else worth trying? Or is this something I'll have to plough through until it resolves itself. I drink around 2 to 3 litres of water a day to keep hydrated and pee virtually every couple of hours, so I don't think I'm dehydrated. Your opinions would be appreciated.
Hi

I'm no expert, but this is my take on LCHF. Years ago I went on the Atkins Diet for a couple of months, and really stuck to the rules, having no more than 20 carbs a day, but I never felt well on it. Since being told by my doctor approximately 18 months ago to be careful with my diet because my blood glucose levels were rising I do try to follow LCHF but include small amounts of carbs a day, such as a couple of slices of HiLo bread, soups containing a few root vegetables, perhaps butternut squash chips, etc, and this way I do not experience that awful brain fog and loss of energy. As long as my blood glucose readings come within the pre-diabetic range I feel relatively happy.

But, hey, I'm no expert. I think we all need to find what works for us as individuals.

I wish you well on your journey!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is amazing how many people say they did Atkins by the rules, and then explain that they didn't follow the rules and gave up.
I did follow the rules and found my CCLL was 50 gm of carbs per day - not a coincidence, I think, that by eating 50 gm of carbs a day I reversed my type two diabetes. I get my carbs from low carb veges and salad, as they are full of micronutrients. I also have some multivitamin and mineral tablets in my drawer which I take from time to time just in case I am lacking something.
It seems to work.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is amazing how many people say they did Atkins by the rules, and then explain that they didn't follow the rules and gave up.
I did follow the rules and found my CCLL was 50 gm of carbs per day - not a coincidence, I think, that by eating 50 gm of carbs a day I reversed my type two diabetes. I get my carbs from low carb veges and salad, as they are full of micronutrients. I also have some multivitamin and mineral tablets in my drawer which I take from time to time just in case I am lacking something.
It seems to work.
Hi Resurgam, I think it's amazing that you have reversed type two diabetes. I just hope that I get to that enviable position. So, well done. Do you have any blogs anywhere?

I really did follow the rules. If I'm on any sort of diet I never mess around. I do it properly. Otherwise what's the point. I remember in Phase 1 just eating proteins and 20 grams of mainly lettuce leaves and miniscule amounts of other salad stuffs like tomatoes and onions. Restricted cream, and as far as I remember only about four ounces of cheese a day. But it was some time ago. I think the keto diet is definitely more user friendly. Though Atkins does have its devotees.

My kind regards to you.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
salt is used as a preservative and flavour enhancer, besides being a way to make sure the general population gets enough iodine).
I may be wrong, but I don't think iodine is routinely added to salt in the uk. If we want iodised salt we have to buy it specially.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may be wrong, but I don't think iodine is routinely added to salt in the uk. If we want iodised salt we have to buy it specially.
Oh? Aaargh, I am so Dutch sometimes. Sorry! (And thanks for letting me know! I thought it was a Europe-wide thing.)

Reactions: Paulm80

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks, thanks very much for taking the time to reply. To be honest, I think I was fairly Carb high before starting my new eating regime (granola/cereal for breakfast, rolls at lunchtime, rice dish or pie and veg in the evening). So I guess it's a bit of a shock to my ageing system. That being said, I'll stick with it and limit myself to 2 litres of water a day and keep with the salt intake. Today actually feels like the brain fog may be lifting, so lets wait and see.

Last edited:

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@TerryJK,

Are you on any meds, including for BP?
Hi ringi, thanks for your reply. I was under my GP for high blood pressure when I was diagnosed as prediabetic. I have my own BP monitor and have used it every few days whilst eating LCHF. It averages 140/81 which my GP says is High Normal and within acceptable limits, so I'm not overly concerned about my BP. I take Ramipril to control the BP.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi ringi, thanks for your reply. I was under my GP for high blood pressure when I was diagnosed as prediabetic. I have my own BP monitor and have used it every few days whilst eating LCHF. It averages 140/81 which my GP says is High Normal and within acceptable limits, so I'm not overly concerned about my BP. I take Ramipril to control the BP.

Just done a quick google of Ramipril
Common side effects include headaches

However, unlike some BP meds, it does not seem to lower blood salt levels.