When you’re ill

hayleymy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What kind of stuff can you take when you’re ill? I’ve got a virus and mild tonsillitis at the moment and the doctor recommended using a throat spray but she didn’t say which one. I don’t think she knew which throat spray was suitable for diabetics. For future reference, is there anything you can and cannot take for a cold? I would buy something and it would say ‘not suitable for diabetics’ and I don’t want to risk taking it... Any tips? :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @hayleymy - Personally I only look out for sugar in medicines as they can push your bg levels up unnecessarily and are difficult to bolus for. Otherwise I would be fine taking anything as long as they have a medical benefit. If in doubt check with the pharmacist though.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
‘not suitable for diabetics’ => often means the company that makes it has not invested the money to prove it is suitable, therefore they legal department is taking the safe option. The issue is we have no way of knowing if there is a real risk, or just the legal department wants to be safe.

Your pharmacist is the expert, ask them what the risks of each option are, and then make up your own mind.

Reactions: becca59

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I also avoid sugar in medicine where possible, in the case of illness my main priority is to cure the problem first, then worry about my Diabetes and sugar levels I do keep an eye on Levels whilst taking medicine but cure 1st. then control

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
‘not suitable for diabetics’ => often means the company that makes it has not invested the money to prove it is suitable, therefore they legal department is taking the safe option. The issue is we have no way of knowing if there is a real risk, or just the legal department wants to be safe.

Your pharmacist is the expert, ask them what the risks of each option are, and then make up your own mind.
EXPERT not a word I Use in my life have learnt to listen to so called Expert then check everything I Can and make up my own mind. You find loads of criticism of Doctors Diabetic nurses etc who could also be called Experts. Some Pharmacists are Sales persons Knowledgeable ones but in owner operated Pharmacies they may be one & the same and may recommend a medicine which whilst a correct choice might be the most expensive with the biggest profit margin