Where did I go wrong . . .?

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Suddenly I'm popular, this is very unusual! :-D
I have a telephone appointment with a GP at 09:30 - will let you know how I get on.
Thanks Mo1905! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best of luck with gp. Keep talking until they listen! Mental health is as important as physical health and there is no doubt that diabetes and depression are bosom buddies. We are all here for you - you are not alone with this.

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Thundercat! The GP is late calling and I'm getting really stressed :-(!
Thank you for your support
Ashleigh

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, the doctor finally called. She surprised me by being very supportive. She is making time to see me this morning at 11:35.
I feel relief, that maybe things can change . . .

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yahoo! I am so pleased. Good luck for your appointment later.
things will change, and for the better :D

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It certainly sounds like a good day for a ticket! Hope gp visit went well. You are on a roll it would be a shame if it stopped now! :smile:

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So... How did it go? Was she as understanding in person as on the phone earlier?

Let us know. Most of us might be reading, not writing, but we are all rooting for you.

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kerrycakes, Of course you can! There's always room for one more. :clap: :D

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies for the delay in replying, although I'm really surprised that people are interested! 8)

Well, the doctor was just as understanding in person, and very supportive. She told me that she thinks that I have a naturally low level of seratonin, and should stay on anti-depressants for life. I asked her if there was a test to check that out, and she said no, I'd just have to trust her expert judgement! I'm not sure what I think of this . . . . will have to spend time with Google I think.

She prescribed me anti-depressants and some tranquillisers to use in the short term. I have been booked in for a check up in 2 weeks and she said to phone if I needed support in the meantime.

All in all quite a promising day, I am still stunned though, that I was taken very seriously and almost immediately. There are others with mental health issues that aren't treated as well.

Now I just have to wait for the drugs to start working! Two weeks seems like an awful long time in misery, and it could take longer.

Thank you all for your support - I really appreciate it and have 5 new friends. I will definitely have to spend more time here, in this helpful supportive and comforting place :) :thumbup:

coco4

Hi Dougal sounds like a good outcome and glad to be able to share it with you. I agree about checking out staying on anti depressants for life, but if they are able to be an aid to coming to terms and managing the diabetes then it will be worth it. Will be in touch again a bit later. So glad we are friends and its wonderful how many more friends are joining your increasing circle with their support. I managed to go out today which I feel really pleased about. Speak soon xx

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fantastic news about doctor. I have been on antidepressants a long while now and on the occasions I stopped them the depression descended again very quickly. I don't know the ramifications of a lifetime of them and personally I'd say the downside would have to be pretty severe for me consider coming off them. They are not a magic bullet and periods of feeling down still occur but infrequently. I am so glad you joined this forum, you seem more upbeat already. Just remember this if the black cloud comes back down. The sun always shines through again. Just be patient and kind with yourself. Treat yourself the same way you would treat the person you love most. Keep in touch and keep checking in we are always here for you

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think just talking (and writing) about it helped a lot. Also, it's good to feel you're not alone.
Believe me, it's not all sunshine and flowers today, but definitely better than last night!

Rosebud

Hi Dougal
Delighted you are feeling much happier today and that you got good support from your GP
Well done you on asking for help that's a step in the right direction
Hopefully when the weather picks up we will all feel better
No body knows how's horrible depression is unless they have suffered from it
I work long hours and am not always able to get on line but my thoughts are with you and thanks from the hug it was lovely
It's lashing with rain here in Ireland and freezing bring on the summer I say
Good luck
Rosebud

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rosebud. Also in Ireland and getting browned off with the cold! Here's hoping we get something resembling a summer this year. I remain eternally optimistic:smile:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dougal
I think you are being too hard on yourself as well as very depressed. Perhaps you need to set smaller targets for yourself. Such as 1 day of good BGs. Take tiny steps which you can achieve and boost your confidence.
If you have the budget. how about getting a new outfit and asking your husband to go out for the evening? To the cinema perhaps or theatre?
have some fun! get a new hairdo? get your nails done?
It's good for morale.
Hana

Sugarsmith

Dislikes
Done have any
I read your post and just had to send you big ((((((( HUGS ))))))))))).

Your condition can make you feel down in the dumps but go forward and start each day wiht the thought that its the first day of a new beginning.

Your weight will come off without starving yourself as that it inself can make you feel bad.

I control my diet by using alternatives to Carbs so for breakfast I have an omelette - choose from tomato, sprinkling of cheese, or mushrooms, or peppers, or even a slice of ham, or one lean rasher of bacon chopped up in the omelette (two large eggs).
Once a week I may have a couple of boiled eggs and one slice of wholemeal toast.
Sometimes a kipper for breakfast with a slice of toast. I probably dont eat more than two slices of bread a week and I dont miss it.
Never drink fruit juice has no benefit whatsoever as all the fibre has been removed and will only upset the weight loss.

For lunch, vegetable soup is good for me if I am hungry that is, as with a good breakfast its rare, and for evening meal, any meat or fish protein pork chop, lamb chops, chicken, turkey with any vegetables which grow above the ground.

So no carrots, potatoes, parsnips, peas, although sometimes have ONE roast potato on Sunday.
Sometimes a tinned fish salad for an evening meal.

No carbs after 6pm; if I need to nibble, I have a green salad ready prepared in the fridge. I eat nothing which is processed everything fresh. I totally control my diabetes symptoms with diet.

Perhaps all on here can help if you provide us with a food diary so we can spot anything which may be aggravating your symptoms.

Its a shock to the system being diagnosed but its onward and forward from here. (((((((( HUGS ))))))

:thumbup: :thumbup: