Where to get a HbA1c test?

• Thread starter Deleted member 545366
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 545366

Good morning everyone.
I've not posted since I started using a Gluco Navvi and adjusting my diet, that was at the beginning of June after I had tests, HbA1c was 42, everything I have been tested for (cholesterol, thyroid etc.) is borderline/just above/just below which is annoying.

I have lost a stone, possibly a bit more and feel better, most of the time. What I would like some advice with is where I can get a reasonably priced HbA1c test by post as I am not leaving the house unless I really have to, and my GP which is a 5 minute walk doesn't do them, I would have to travel to a hospital.

I have looked at some sites but not sure which to choose. I am also aware that this is the worst time of year for postal services, but that would still be faster than trying to book an appointment via NHS.

Edited to add that I would like it to be acceptable to the GP/NHS so I don't have to get another one.

Last edited by a moderator:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Several pharmacies offer online/home delivery tests. Try Boots?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember others mentioning the difficulty in producing enough blood to drip into the test tube. Also, GP tests are done with venous blood. I don't know if that makes a difference.

D

Deleted member 545366

I remember others mentioning the difficulty in producing enough blood to drip into the test tube. Also, GP tests are done with venous blood. I don't know if that makes a difference.

It's the venous blood that I wondered about, one of the tests can be done at a private hospital, there are 3 in the area that are on the list, not sure which company it was that offered it. I am going to ask next week about getting it done where I had the first one, but they are £££, and I have to keep phoning to get the results sent to me, so was hoping for somewhere a bit more efficient, and would prefer not to go to a hospital just now.

I find if my hands and the room is warm I bleed sometimes more than I intend to when testing so was hopeful I might produce enough, and prepared to give it a try.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would imagine that the difference between a Hba1c test from the chemist and a blood panel test, is that a full blood panel test, includes other tests, which you might not get from Boots.

@Catless your surgery would suggest on where to get a full blood panel test.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I would like some advice with is where I can get a reasonably priced HbA1c test by post
IMO results from self-testing with a meter and strips or a continuous glucose monitor are just as useful as an A1c test, though different. For what a private A1c test would cost, I imagine you could buy a meter + strips and have change, and of course you would not need to leave your house. Personally I would wonder how much blood I would have to express for the A1c, whereas the amount required for testing with my own meter is miniscule. With this converter you could check what A1c your meter readings predict (although people often get surprises). https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

D

Deleted member 545366

I would imagine that the difference between a Hba1c test from the chemist and a blood panel test, is that a full blood panel test, includes other tests, which you might not get from Boots.

@Catless your surgery would suggest on where to get a full blood panel test.

@Lamont D Thank you for replying.Yes, I am looking for just the Hba1c as I had the blood panel. If I manage to get through on the phone to the GP surgery sometimes in the next 2 months I will ask about tests, still have outstanding results for antibodies to catch up with so can ask then. In the meantime I just want to know how I'm doing with it all. If the Boots one is anything like their cholesterol one it will be open to personal interpretation and whether you have any degree of colour blindness so am looking at others in the hope they are better.

Reactions: Lamont D
D

Deleted member 545366

IMO results from self-testing with a meter and strips or a continuous glucose monitor are just as useful as an A1c test, though different. For what a private A1c test would cost, I imagine you could buy a meter + strips and have change, and of course you would not need to leave your house. Personally I would wonder how much blood I would have to express for the A1c, whereas the amount required for testing with my own meter is miniscule. With this converter you could check what A1c your meter readings predict (although people often get surprises). https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

I have had a meter since June, it would be nice to know about the HbA1c though. I will take a look at the link, thank you.

Reactions: Lamont D

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone.
I've not posted since I started using a Gluco Navvi and adjusting my diet, that was at the beginning of June after I had tests, HbA1c was 42, everything I have been tested for (cholesterol, thyroid etc.) is borderline/just above/just below which is annoying.

I have lost a stone, possibly a bit more and feel better, most of the time. What I would like some advice with is where I can get a reasonably priced HbA1c test by post as I am not leaving the house unless I really have to, and my GP which is a 5 minute walk doesn't do them, I would have to travel to a hospital.

I have looked at some sites but not sure which to choose. I am also aware that this is the worst time of year for postal services, but that would still be faster than trying to book an appointment via NHS.

Edited to add that I would like it to be acceptable to the GP/NHS so I don't have to get another one.

This place is reasonable and it’s an NHS lab: https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

Catless, I have used MonitorMyHealth a few times - mainly for thyroid tests, and found them to be excellent.

There is video giving hints and tips of getting enough blood for the test. The lancets they provide are different to those with your meter, and I would advise you use theirs. They certainly help me bleed quite well.

Good luck with it all.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Lamont D Thank you for replying.Yes, I am looking for just the Hba1c as I had the blood panel. If I manage to get through on the phone to the GP surgery sometimes in the next 2 months I will ask about tests, still have outstanding results for antibodies to catch up with so can ask then. In the meantime I just want to know how I'm doing with it all. If the Boots one is anything like their cholesterol one it will be open to personal interpretation and whether you have any degree of colour blindness so am looking at others in the hope they are better.

I just can't believe that surgeries are not answering phone calls. Or appointments or bloods. It is inconceivable that so many people are without health care. Have you tried your local hospital?
What would you do in an A&E accident? I know it is a normal blood test, but surely they could give you advice to get a blood test from a phlebotomist?

D

Deleted member 545366

I just can't believe that surgeries are not answering phone calls. Or appointments or bloods. It is inconceivable that so many people are without health care. Have you tried your local hospital?
What would you do in an A&E accident? I know it is a normal blood test, but surely they could give you advice to get a blood test from a phlebotomist?

They do answer, but to get an appointment of any kind you need to start phoning at about 7.30 a.m. and continually call until you find you have managed to be 17 in the queue, then wait, and pray that you don't get cut off as soon as someone answers which is when their phone line goes weird and they don't have the patience to wait or deal with it so they hang up. Half an hour wasted. Need to be in a strong frame of mind to do that, then deal with what might be a really pleasant receptionist (rare) or an offhand and snippy one (not so rare). They do give out appointments if it is urgent, sometimes with a paramedic who is being supervised and has no idea what they are doing, or more likely a phone call, which you don't dare miss for fear of having to try to get into the queue again.

They only do blood testing on over 70's, everyone else has to try to book into one of 3 hospitals, and their system for booking is non existant, online form doesn't work, phones just ring. I had mine done privately, and even that was a challenge as they seemed reluctant to send me the results. Twice.

I prefer to have an appointment that is not an estimated time, where I will be left to wait for hours - it more or less says that on the NHS site, so private is better for me, however, I don't want to be inside a building any longer than necessary, so a postal test seems like a good idea.