Which Bread?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
seems very sensible to me.... there are other things to eat, like and enjoy, just takes a little time to find the sods.... leaf wraps work so good. :)

Indeed yes with the lettuce wraps (and yes - those are liberating for homemade burger lovers, like me). I love the burger chains that offer a lettuce wrap burger for when out with friends and family, and, gee I hope, low-carb dressings. (I'm thinking of the Swedish chain 'Max'.)

But I still get to have my beloved toast! As non-grain-bread eater. Just with low-carb homemade bread made from almond flour. (Almond flour has the lowest carb content, and is arguably the nicest tasting of the low-carb nut flours.) One thick slice of that and you're full, for sure. Especially on the side of a boiled egg for brekkie. Flaxseeds/Linseeds and chia seeds have nutrients in them that are apparently good for we diabetics - so those can be grain alternatives in the almond flour bread. (Almonds are good for us too.)

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AloeSvea could you possibly post your bread recipe as I have a few of my own but Im still searching for one I really like.

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I bought a loaf of Hovis Seed Sensations Wholemeal bread yesterday. It has 31.4g of carbs (3.1 sugars) per 100g. 13.8g carbs (1.3g sugars) per 44g slice. It is a bit higher than the 25g carbs per 100g in the Burgen Soya & Linseed, but I preferred it as it was less 'seedy'. I only have a couple of slices per day at most so I think it's ok for me - I only had a sandwich, an apple and a couple of squares of dark chocolate yesterday, so still less than 100 carbs I think.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @hankjam and @AloeSvea...

Brunch today - bacon and a toasted cheese home made low carb "bread alternative" muffin - less than 3g carbs in total. This way I can eat some filling comfort food when necessary - and still keep the best part of my low carbs allowance available for essential minerals & vitamins in low cab veggies and berries.

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@AloeSvea could you possibly post your bread recipe as I have a few of my own but Im still searching for one I really like.

Sure! Should I post it elsewhere or just pop it in here? (I'd take a 'photo booth' pic of it. I LOVE photo booth.)

I realise I'm blithely saying it's low-carb, but it's 7g of carbs per slice so higher end of low carb - Robbity's 3g muffin is much better with the carb count. But, yes, when I am particularly hungry, I'll gladly use that much of my carb quota to fill the spot. Like now, come to think of it... :)

Reactions: 3 people

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And how did you reach that conclusion? Personally I find bread of any kind, even home-made sourdough made from home milled spelt flour soon takes me into the teens and holds me there for a considerable length of time and I'm not unique.

As a T2 without any medication I can see no other way around this but to completely avoid bread, white, brown, seeded or whatever colour if I want to keep my BG normal.

Hi Totto,
I only used your Quote as a way to enter, thanks.

Hi All.
Forum In General,

When I was first diagnosed with Type 2, I didn't follow any structure, then after a few months I chose to listen to the Dr's reteric, but my number went through the roof. So I looked around for another option and was directed to this forum, after reading and trying the information I came accross over a period of time, I chose to try a LCHF diet and at first my situation didn't change, as my numbers stayed in the high teens and 20's, then I started buying only the foods listed on this forum like Fish, Red Meat, Eggs, (Poached, Boiled, In an Omlet or Scrambled) Cheese, Ham, Bacon, selected veggetable and Helgas Quinoa & Flaxseed Bread, which I found all compatible with my BGL's, (But this works for me) I know it may not for others. But on this diet choice I lost 30kgs (98 down to 67.1kgs and my numbers are between 4.9 and 7.8 and have been for a few months now. So even though you find bread isn't suitable for you, you need to remember that everyone is an individual and needs to continue with a trial and error diet until they find what actually works for them, as it;s their health thats at risk.

I wish everyone all the best for Christmas and the New Year, and hope you all have a good and festive Xmas Day, catch you all in the New Year, so take care and keep the BGL'S in check!!!

Stemar, (Downunder)

Reactions: 6 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AloeSvea it should be alright to post the recipe here as the thread is about 'which bread'. Thank you in advance and I cant wait to bake it this weekend. :D

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@AloeSvea it should be alright to post the recipe here as the thread is about 'which bread'. Thank you in advance and I cant wait to bake it this weekend. :D

I hope you like it!

Almond bread recipe.jpg

Reactions: 8 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh! I don't use the honey! So I guess it would be about 3g of carbs per slice then. And American terms - I'm sure you used to that too? :). 150 degrees celcius. And flaxseeds are linseeds (you probably already know this, but I thought I had better say just in case.) The hardest thing is piffling about with the eggs and the whites and so on.

I have to say though, the non-diabetics in the family don't eat it. They just get the gluten-free Vogels out of the freezer. :).

Oh, and it needs to be kept in the fridge, in any climate.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I tell you - it's really weird for me sharing recipes. It has never been my thing - that level of domesticity. But what made me into the type of sheila who shares recipes? That's right! I cook now! All the time. Groan. lol.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tell you - it's really weird for me sharing recipes. It has never been my thing - that level of domesticity. But what made me into the type of sheila who shares recipes? That's right! I cook now! All the time. Groan. lol.
Cooking is my yoga!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You say it like its a bad thing, but I know what you mean, when you are trying to eat LC and not processed c*** everything takes that much longer to prepare. If you have any other good recipes hidden up your sleeve please do share Im always on the lookout for more recipes and thank you for the little tips I will let you know how it turns out. :)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You say it like its a bad thing, but I know what you mean, when you are trying to eat LC and not processed c*** everything takes that much longer to prepare. If you have any other good recipes hidden up your sleeve please do share Im always on the lookout for more recipes and thank you for the little tips I will let you know how it turns out. :)

Heehee - yes. I hated to cook. As in - meals. And the first times I have swapped recipes is in relation to low-carbing in the last year, since being diabetic. (With you - in here. And with a cousin who had a cousin who gave her a great moderate-low carb blueberry muffin recipe.) (OK - I can see how recipe swapping has its seriously cute and delightfully social side to it :).) But yeah - still baked goods recipes - and I have always rather liked baking, and like hankjam, even found it, and find it, meditative.

I still do not enjoy cooking everything meal-like from scratch, although I do enjoy being in control of creating wonderful tasting healthy food on a daily basis. But I keep the lack of enjoyment under control by cooking in bulk, and I noticed last night - cooking as evening 'NEAT' (non exercise activity thermothingamajiggy) to lower stress levels! (The week before Xmas!) And collecting recipes appeals to my 'collector/organiser' side. Oh - and I became a 'youtube watching queen' , watching health videos in the kitchen while cooking. But I still don't enjoy it. (I enjoy my feet, eyesight and kidneys though! ;):).)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im with you on that one, I think its a fair trade to keep our essential body parts functioning as they should. My 4 yr old grand daughter likes to help me bake. I consider it a great lesson for learning patience and that everything does not need to be.perfect (for myself that is) :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AloeSvea the bread is awesome, I ended up eating 3 pieces while it was still warm and even my OH and son liked it, miraculously. Thank you so much :)

Reactions: 6 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to say that I omitted the honey as well and I used 1 tsp of artificial liquid sweetener instead. Mine ended up being less than 2 carbs per slice. I ate the 3 slices about 10ish last night and my FBG was 5.7 this morning so no effect there :)

BenBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make my own, and usually do half and half, but my favourite is Wessex Mills onion flour and I add sunflower seeds to it. I also buy their Rolled Porridge Oats. All my bread flour is Wessex Mill from Wantage.
Can I ask where in Wantage do you buy the Wessex Mill flour? I am T2 and have just started making my own bread in a machine.

daniela13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I am type 2, since June 2012 and I also have high blood pressure. I am on medication (for diabetes: Glucophage XR 1000 mg, Roswera, injections with Victoza - last one is known as decreasing hunger/ appetite). I am under diabetologyst care and I follow a diet prescribed by a nutritionist, with 1700 kcal daily intake). My fasting BG is always high, around 200 mg/dl. Regarding bread, I am baking my own sourdough bread at home using a whole meal flour sourdough and semolina rimacinata flour (semolina di grano duro). What do you know about this flour? Is suitable for diabetic people?