1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Which coffee machine do you use ?

Discussion in 'Book and Product Reviews' started by pamK, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Ann1982

Ann1982 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I grind my beans fresh every morning rio oro and use a cafetere. I like it best and no faff with pods etc. I also like kopi luwack but it is a rare treat. Blue mountain and Kenyan are also good. I find it works out a l

• Like Like x 2
  2. pogoplum

pogoplum Reactive hypoglycemia · Member

I use a delonghi bean to cup machine. It was recommended by Which as a Best Buy for durability, consistency, temperature and creme. You can pick your beans so it's much cheaper per cup and you can experiment. I found Waitrose own brand Italian and French blended 50/50 makes better coffee than most coffee shops. It has a frothing stick too. Bliss. Had it for 10 years still works like a dream.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I guess I'm not sure what a tassimo is. Is it like a keurig? We have that too but since trying the nespresso I don't like the keurig. My husband uses it during the week and nespresso on the weekend. The pods aren't cheap but certainly cheaper than a coffee shop. I don't get a lot of treat foods and the crema first thing in the morning makes my day. I used to love lattes and cappachinos but can't do milk now so this is as good as it gets.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bosch coffee machine.

5. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A Bean to cup machine is my dream - I just can't justify the £££ price tag . One day ...........

• Like Like x 1
  6. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How many cups a day does everyone drink?
    30p a pod, I reckon I'd be on £20 to £30 a week.

How about everyone else?

7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Seriously you drink 14 cups a day? I'm greedy but only have 2 coffees (ok so they are triple shot so 90p a pop ) but that's still only £12.60 a week max.

8. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I like to start the day with a strong hot mug of coffee with sweetener and double cream. I used a cafetiere for years, grinding the beans myself in a coffee mill.
    I could make it as strong as I like, but it wasn't hot, more just warm.
    I tried a pod machine, a Starbucks/Keurig, machine but the pods didn't make coffee strong enough for my taste.
    I bought a De Longhi Magnifica bean to cup machine a couple of months ago after reading reviews on different machines.
    It does produce coffee hot enough and I can adjust the grind to get it quite strong.
    It was dearer than pod machines (£230 on Amazon), but I buy coffee beans which works out cheaper than pods, so should be cheaper in the long run.
    Once I worked out how to get it going and adjusted the strength to my taste, which took a few days, it has worked well and produces a coffee I like.
    I have tried different coffee beans but have settled on Starbucks 'Fairtrade' Espresso. A dark wholebean 100% Arabica coffee with a 'rich and caramelly' taste. Which can also be bought in Waitrose.

The only regret I have is buying machine from Amazon and beans from Starbucks, as they both avoid paying tax.

• Like Like x 1
    #28 Prem51, Jun 9, 2017 at 6:37 PM
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  9. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I use Starbucks Coffee which is £3.50 for 200gms, sometimes 2 for £5 in Waitrose. I drink one mug first thing in the morning, and occasionally another around 11am.
    One pack lasts at least a week, so cheaper than the pods I used to use which worked out at about 40-50p each.

10. douglas99

Double sized mug when I get up, followed by another. Various mugs throughout the day, quite often nip into trade counters to pick up just a coffee, customers provide coffee continuously. But they're free, so I'm not counting them. Maybe a couple if I nip home to pick anything up. Evenings, continuous coffee, so yes, easy 10 to 20 a day. Maybe cost more if I'm home in the day, and paying for my own. Coffee holder in the car always has a cup in it. The kids bought me a thermal mug for christmas. I bought my last car on condition it had a coffee holder.
    I'm also an insomniac, so my last cup is about 1 to 2 am.
    I did switch to decaf though.

11. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Not at all sure what your money conversion is but I pay $1.10 per nespresso coffee pod and $.85 for espresso shot pod. I drink the coffee in the morning and most days an espresso mid afternoon. I'll have a little at work that's free.
    Funny thing is the store I got my machine at had a tag of $259 but they price matched Amazon for $104. 20 free pods and a coupon for $20 off my first order or 50 pods.
    I love love love the crema. That's the whole reason I bought it. Now regular coffee is just boring

I agree with keurig being too weak. Especially anything with flavor. It's like water. It's trial and error to find a good one that's rich enough.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Doesn't all that coffee raise your blood pressure? Or does having decaf make a difference.
    My blood pressure is much higher after my morning mug of coffee. I won't be having any before my next check up.

#32 Prem51, Jun 9, 2017 at 7:02 PM
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  13. douglas99

No, my blood pressure has always been 110/60.
    Heart rate is a steady 60.

Exercise can take it to over 160 though, if I try hard enough.
    The machines usually scream at me though, so I've starting lying about my age to them.

• Like Like x 2
    #33 douglas99, Jun 9, 2017 at 7:05 PM
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  14. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2 maybe 3 cups a day. The Lidl Nespresso pods are about 17p each so about 50p per day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Can you please tell me how much a P is in US ?

16. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A P (!) is a penny. There are 100 pennies in a pound.

The current conversion rate is £1 = $1.27

So, 30p, is £0.30, equivalent to $0.38

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. DiabeticDadUK

DiabeticDadUK Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I love my Tassimo. Really easy to set up and use/maintain. I drink the XL L'or pods. Really good, full mug.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. pamK

pamK Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you all this has been interesting

• Like Like x 2
  19. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bialetti all day, every day. Surely I'm not the only one enamoured by the dark secret love of the Bialetti Moka pot?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a Krups Espresso machine and a Bialetti Venus stove top maker.

I usually have one quadruple espresso in a mug for breakfast on weekdays, and drink Tea at weekends.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook