1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Which coffee machine do you use ?

Discussion in 'Book and Product Reviews' started by pamK, Jun 8, 2017.

1. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Be careful with decaff... there is a horrible chemical used to adjust the beans to decaff.. some brands are supposedly decaffeinated through water.. we buy the beans that are supposedly water decaffeinated. They reckon the chemical is negligible afterwards but the documentary I watched regarding the decaff pelrocess put me off decaff as healthy option permanently. I will never knowingly drink decaff again unless its water treated...

I was also drinking copious amounts like you thinking it was ok because it was decaff..

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

We have a Tassimo machine which is okay - Mr Chook loves his lattes but I haven't yet found a coffee type that I like more than a good quality instant.

I used to have one of those yellow drip filter things (cost next to nothing) which made amazing coffee - you just put a filter paper and ground beans in to it and pour over water and it dripped in to the mug. Then the dog got it and it never worked properly after it had been chewed.

• Like Like x 5
  3. pamK

pamK Type 2 · Well-Known Member

donnellysdogs I never drink decaff But i have now bought my New Coffee machine I have a LavAzza and i have a massive lot of different coffee's to try Looking forward to trying them all i know i wont like many of them but Whoopie

• Like Like x 1
  4. spook_kate_

spook_kate_ Researcher · Well-Known Member

Definitely the Tassimo!! GORGEOUS coffee. I have one and it's quick and small enough to fit in small kitchens. Easy to clean. Did i say Gorgeous coffee!!! Lots of lovely people on here use tassimo

• Like Like x 3
  5. spook_kate_

spook_kate_ Researcher · Well-Known Member

Lol

6. pamK

pamK Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Now have my new LavAzza and what a lovely cappuccino i had yummy But how many cappuccinos or other machine mad do you have a day Also do you only use double cream But what if you want a frothy coffe how do you do this Me and the machine are new to this

• Like Like x 1
  7. streem26

streem26 Prediabetes · Active Member

My trusty Philips still works splendidly, but it's white in colour and is showing signs of age, so I'd like to change it. I only use my coffeemaker in the morning on workdays, and probably twice on my days off, so I don't need a super heavy-duty unit. I'm looking at a small pump system.
    I have heard DeLonghi or Krups are reliable or similar machine like on cozzy .. I'd like to stick with the organic beans and powder we use for cafetiere coffee.

• Like Like x 1
  8. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have a Dualit, lovely machine makes good cappuccino and use LavAzza.
    Many moons ago I worked for Kenco, my office was above the roasting floor. The coffee maker was outside my door and we always had coffee beans straight from the 'floor'. Unfortunately I had trouble out and about when buying a cup of coffee as everything else tasted terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

I just bought another one of those drip things from eBay - £1.78! Okay its coming all the way from China but I'm already looking forward to a lovely cup of really hot coffee.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I agree. Decaf always give me reflux and an acid stomach. No matter how great the beans are

11. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

I use a French press with 6 tablespoons of extra dark for two large mugs of coffee.
    Quick cheap and strong........ there's a joke there somewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Judy1887

Judy1887 Type 1 · Member

I use a Capresso every time, it's the best. I’ve been using it for a while now. I love my Capresso. It makes around 10 cups in under 8 minutes. And the results are also great. I’m pretty impressed. Actually, I got it from a commercial coffee machines in Canada. I’m glad I did. My husband is a choosy person, so, he doesn’t quite approve anything I suggest. But, he is in love with this one. I am relieved too. And I agree with @Brunneria, it is up to us to choose the brand/ price. For me, it’s always Capresso.

13. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Never in a million years would I use anything from Nestle (the baby killer company) or anything that involves pods, no matter how biodegradable they claim to be.
    I have an electric percolator that is just perfect and I buy bags of freshly ground coffee from a local company called St Martens at a fraction of the cost on the high street.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ooo, a resurrected thread from a while ago. I love coffee and had a Tassimo up til recently, the milk discs are sweetened so I gave them up and just used the black coffees with cream. However Father Christmas bought me a Nespresso Vertuo for Xmas (sorry Wiflib!). It makes a good big mug sized black coffee with a really thick cream on top. I have one white coffee at breakfast, milk in first, called a reverso, Black with cream is good too. Nespresso run their own very efficient recycling scheme for the capsules unlike Tassimo who work with Terracycle to recycle the discs, but are currently closing loads of collection points!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to be given a DeLonghi machine about three years ago. It has an integral steamer and uses ESE pods or ground coffee, and it's excellent. I must have made nigh on 600 coffees....! It used to be a w/e ritual to have at least 2 each day, which of course used a lot of milk. I did perfect something approximating a flat white but haven't used it since diagnosis. I'm going to experiment with using watered-down cream and see what happens, as I miss the whole 'zen' thing of making the coffee.

• Like Like x 1
  16. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find watering down the cream and giving it a whisk produces a really good flat white if you water it down less you get closer to a cappuccino as fat holds the bubbles!

17. BunsenHoneydew

BunsenHoneydew Prediabetes · Active Member

Aeropress!!! I get whole beans on a subscription that delivers through my letterbox and grind every 2 days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @shelley262 - thank you for your reply - I am definitely going to try that. It sounds like your method will give an even better FW than before: sanity is restored!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It will at least be a very very low carb coffee unlike the milk version! I keep going on coffee but it’s a different drink if the cream is undiluted I find and I’m worried - maybe wrongly - that if I drink too much cream, given my coffee habit, that I may stall on the weight loss. Enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I am happy with my large cafetière, £4 from Wilko, no pods, no filter papers. I too have been boycotting Nestlé for many years. Now if I could just bring myself to shell out the extra for organic coffee my position would be bombproof, at least until some bright researcher proves that coffee raises bg.

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook