Which diet?

dawniet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Baked beans.
Good afternoon, I have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes for over 3 years and am still confused about diet. I dont test my blood sugar levels at home as my Diabetes Nurse told me I didnt need to. I go to my annual Diabetes reviews.

I need to lose a substantial amount of weight and all I do is faff. I followed Weight Watchers and lost 1 1/2 stones quite quickly but my blood sugars were up at my annual review. I followed Slimming World but I struggled and ate the same thing daily and got bored - I know thats my own fault. But my blood sugars did lower. I am now Calorie Counting but am worried that even though I will lose weight, will my blood sugars reduce.
I am getting conflicting advise from many 'experts', none of which have Diabetes but seemingly know everything. This may sound harsh but none of them are diet experts or medical experts.

So I suppose what I am asking is - which diets would you recommend which means you lose weight and lower blood sugar levels.
I know we are all different but would really appreciate any advice. Many thanks. xx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Most of the discussion on the forum (by T2s who want to lose a few pounds) seems to centre around:

low calorie (sometimes VERY low calorie)
- Newcastle Diet - using a method of eating 800 cal a day in diet shakes
- Michael Moseley's 800 cal blood sugar diet - book available on it
- normal low calorie ing, usually with strictly controlled carbohydrate intake, to control blood glucose
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2016/03March/Pages/Could-a-very-low-calorie-diet-cure-type-2-diabetes.aspx

low carb eating (sometimes very low)
- low carb eating (under 130 g carbs a day), where you restrict the carbs - this often results in weight loss without calorie counting https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/
- very low carb eating (usually under about 50 g carbs a day), also known as LCHF (low carb high fat) which is often faster weight loss, and better blood glucose control, due to the severely restricted carbs. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
- weight watchers and slimming world both get very mixed press on the forum because neither of them are specifically aimed at blood glucose control, and often contain too many carbs or foods that don't really suit us T2s.

Intermittent Fasting
Some people are finding that missing meals (known as Intermittent Fasting) is lowering blood glucose and insulin resistance and helping with weight loss.
You can find out more here:
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

- we also chunter about exercise quite a bit. :)

I have put in a few links, where I have then handy, but you can google any of the above, or do some forum searches (search box in top right corner) and see what people have been saying.

Some people (usually the ones who haven't been T2 for too long), find that losing a significant amount of weight will 'reverse' their diabetes, but the general idea seems to be that if that weight goes back on, or if they return to eating a lot of carbs, the T2 will come back.

In all of the above, the carb content (sugar, bread, rice, potato, pasta, sweet fruit and pop and fruit juice) are the things that drive up blood glucose and give the bad news at Diabetes Reviews.

Whichever diet you choose, I strongly suggest that you get yourself a blood glucose meter (if your nurse won't give you one it is REALLY worth self funding, because it allows you to spot which parts of your diet are driving your blood glucose up. Then you can decide to avoid those foods or reduce the portions. It is a fascinating voyage of discovery :) and in my humble opinion, the best way to tailor your diet to suit your personal needs.

Gingerjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone I have just had my third blood results. July was58 then went up to 63 and now .....,,49! LCHF working for me. Lost one stone and intend to lose a lot more

Reactions: ickihun

dawniet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Baked beans.
Thank you Brunneria for all the lovely information. Thank you also Gingerjan.

Very much appreciated. Will now be having a look at the info you suggested xx

Trebor2516

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon, I have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes for over 3 years and am still confused about diet. I dont test my blood sugar levels at home as my Diabetes Nurse told me I didnt need to. I go to my annual Diabetes reviews.

I need to lose a substantial amount of weight and all I do is faff. I followed Weight Watchers and lost 1 1/2 stones quite quickly but my blood sugars were up at my annual review. I followed Slimming World but I struggled and ate the same thing daily and got bored - I know thats my own fault. But my blood sugars did lower. I am now Calorie Counting but am worried that even though I will lose weight, will my blood sugars reduce.
I am getting conflicting advise from many 'experts', none of which have Diabetes but seemingly know everything. This may sound harsh but none of them are diet experts or medical experts.

So I suppose what I am asking is - which diets would you recommend which means you lose weight and lower blood sugar levels.
I know we are all different but would really appreciate any advice. Many thanks. xx
I suggest you buy Dr, Michael Mosley's book, ' The 8Week Blood Sugar Diet'. Read it all, then follow the recipes. It is aLow Carb diet and really works. When you have finished the 8 weeks, follow up with his 'Fast Diet' book to maintain your weight.I started the diet when I was 17.1 stone, after the 8 weeks I was 13.10stone.

Reactions: Snapsy

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.

Hi @dawniet! and Welcome to the forum-I will tag @daisy1 for you with some information that we give newcomers to the forum. Her message contains a link to the free low carb program here as well. Many have used it with great success, especially for the first 15 pounds of weight loss with reduced blood glucose numbers. I personally am just counting carbs and calories and trying to lose weight weight very slowly-5 lbs at a time because fast weight loss triggers gout for me.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @dawniet! and Welcome to the forum-I will tag @daisy1 for you with some information that we give newcomers to the forum. Her message contains a link to the free low carb program here as well. Many have used it with great success, especially for the first 15 pounds of weight loss with reduced blood glucose numbers. I personally am just counting carbs and calories and trying to lose weight weight very slowly-5 lbs at a time because fast weight loss triggers gout for me.
Just a heads up, this thread is a couple months old and @dawniet joined back in 2014. She hasn't logged in in a few weeks so we may not get a very quick reply back. Hopefully, she's found some success since then.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating low carb has lowered my blood sugars and my weight. I do not count calories.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Just a heads up, this thread is a couple months old and @dawniet joined back in 2014. She hasn't logged in in a few weeks so we may not get a very quick reply back. Hopefully, she's found some success since then.
I noticed that as I was spell checking my reply-someone tagged me in on it and so I went ahead and posted-I thought it might help someone else as well.:)

Reactions: TorqPenderloin

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@dawniet

Hello Dawn and I hope you are still reading the forum so you will see this. Here is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. It contains a link to the Low Carb Program which you might like to try. Ask questions if you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.