alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Very tongue in cheek
A large scotch on my porridge in the morning.
Lunchtime will be a large glass of slimming white wine
Pre dinner a small glass of tonic wif a large gin
Post inner at least a bottle of heavy red.
Joking over now.
As for chemical suppliments none, very very dangerous for me.

B

Bryce74

1 multi, 100% RDA of most vitamins and some minerals

For cardiovascular prevention:

1. Omega 3 Algae oil 500 DHA+250 EPA
2 Magnesium taurate 200 mg (elemental magnesium) (taurine is especially good for cardiovascular prevention)
3. Citrulline (Arganine precursor)
4. Aged Garlic (Kyolic)
5 Vitamin K 180 mcg

For deficiencies:

Zinc methionine 15 mg
Vitamin D 1000 IE

B

Bryce74

The only supplement I have taken was vit D in the winter months prescribed by my doctor in France. Its given fairly routinely to women over 65 (and infants) My new English GP looked somewhat askance at it when we were going through my prescription.

Better keep using vitamin D, if the dose is not too high and there are no contra-indications. If you get little sunlight on your skin or if you use suncreens when in the sun, you probably need it.

Of course it's best to test how much vitamin D is in your blood to be sure, but generally low vitamin D is a much more frequent problem.

A Dutch GP would react the same as your English one did... they are not vitamin-minded, don't like the use of it but know virtually nothing about vitamins and minerals.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Only R-ALA. It helped with neuropathy in my feet. Plateaued now but much better. Not causing problems now. I keep taking it 'cause I'm too frightened to stop.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only R-ALA. It helped with neuropathy in my feet. Plateaued now but much better. Not causing problems now. I keep taking it 'cause I'm too frightened to stop.

I took it for the chemotherapy-induced neuropathy in my feet. It worked brilliantly. I stopped taking it in December. Since then, the discomfort came back, noticeably so. 2 weeks ago I resumed the R-ALA and bingo! The discomfort has gone again.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took it for the chemotherapy-induced neuropathy in my feet. It worked brilliantly. I stopped taking it in December. Since then, the discomfort came back, noticeably so. 2 weeks ago I resumed the R-ALA and bingo! The discomfort has gone again.
I wonder if I should take R-ALA. I have a lot of ankle pain and recurring tendonitis. Add this to hairless achy legs and toenails that are much slower to grow than 6 months ago I suspect my legs/feet are getting reduced blood supply. @bluetit what do you think? What brand/where do you buy your R-ALA?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if I should take R-ALA. I have a lot of ankle pain and recurring tendonitis. Add this to hairless achy legs and toenails that are much slower to grow than 6 months ago I suspect my legs/feet are getting reduced blood supply. @bluetit what do you think? What brand/where do you buy your R-ALA?

The R-ALA is for neuropathy - the tingles, pins and needles, and burning experienced with neuropathy. (It is nerve damage). This is the one I buy
https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swa... Double Strength R-Fraction Alpha Lipoic Acid

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What a brilliant way of discovering whether it works for you.

I did something similar recently (with my Vit D3 supplement - and like you - I really noticed the difference! Although it took a few weeks to backslide far enough for me to get clear signs. Looks like I am one of those who need to be on D3 and K2 all year round. For ever. lol)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You may find this article interesting (as a springboard to further reading)
https://www.livestrong.com/article/381156-what-vitamin-helps-promote-circulation-in-legs-feet/

Whatever reading you do about supplements, I would be wary about taking any one source as gospel, especially if it is from a site that also happens to have exactly the supplement it is telling you that you need... :D

I like to track things back to actual studies, and read those. But general articles are a good intro.
Hope that helps!

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take a well woman supplement (I am off that age!) and an omega 3 one, i'm hoping I get enough nutrients from my diet for the rest!

Reactions: Guzzler

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may find this article interesting (as a springboard to further reading)
https://www.livestrong.com/article/381156-what-vitamin-helps-promote-circulation-in-legs-feet/

Whatever reading you do about supplements, I would be wary about taking any one source as gospel, especially if it is from a site that also happens to have exactly the supplement it is telling you that you need... :D

I like to track things back to actual studies, and read those. But general articles are a good intro.
Hope that helps!
Thanks @Brunneria. I will do some research.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
None

Could do with something for hair
Nails & skin any recommendations

Not a supplement but I recently raised the amount of protein in my diet to try to stem weight loss (it hasn't worked for this yet) and noticed quite quickly how my skin and hair benefitted. I now have a coat that would rival a Crufts Best in Show!

Tippy.tosca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take B12 as recently I've been diagnosed with pernicious anaemia.
I also take Vitamin C & Cod liver oil.
Enjoy your day.

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not a supplement but I recently raised the amount of protein in my diet to try to stem weight loss (it hasn't worked for this yet) and noticed quite quickly how my skin and hair benefitted. I now have a coat that would rival a Crufts Best in Show!

Thanks Guzzler will up protein a little
I still need to lose a bit of weight, noticed since doin lchf
Hair gone thinner nails brittle & skin a bit dryer

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks Guzzler will up protein a little
I still need to lose a bit of weight, noticed since doin lchf
Hair gone thinner nails brittle & skin a bit dryer

Those were my complaints, too. Remember to hydrate, I still forget sometimes. Good luck.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Omega 3 fatty acid and vitamin d3 cos my GP told me to.
Omega 3 because my hunter gathering does not pick up enough foods like oily fish and converting ALA to EPA and DHA from plants and seeds by our body is not that efficient. Also Brussels are just for Christmas. :arghh:
D3 - picked up in a body MOT a couple of years ago.
For wellbeing, a wide selection of scotch.
Everything else can be obtained in my food, especially a decent deer, rabbit or game bird.

Last edited:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I take enough medication without adding all that sort of rubbish. I don’t believe in all these supplements!

Reactions: dunelm