Which glucose meter for a gadget addict?

snowy_barks

Recently diagnosed as T2.

Currently using a Boots meter but it doesn't support PC downloading.

I do enjoy my technology so if this something I will be doing for the rest of my life I may as well use something that will allow me to save my readings and transfer to a pc.

Which meter comes with the best PC software and the most bells and whistles?

louiseb

Im not sure about software for meters, although as far as im aware you can get software for nearly all meters.
Something you should consider when choosing a meter is the price of test strips, some gps are reluctant to prescribe test strips for type 2 diabetics.

I deleted one your posts as they were a duplicate in the same section.

btw welcome to the forum :)

Crafty74

I have used a variety of meters as keep breaking them, the best one I have found which is my current one GlucoMen LX Plus. I recieved it free of charge from GlucoMen website also they have sent me connecting cable & rubber case also free of charge.
[flash=]http://www.glucomen.co.uk/index.php?p=138&pp=74&ptitle=GlucoMen LX PLUS - Blood Glucose and Ketone Monitor[/flash]

The software is quite good once worked out how to use. Had some problems with getting connected but customers service pointed me in right direction and were very polite & helpful.
Hope this is of some help.

Nigel

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
For ease of uploading, you can't beat the Contour USB.

But as someone else said, worry about the cost of the strips above anything else.

David Watson

Hi, I've used all sorts of meters over 50+ years of Type 1 Diabetes, but the best one for me is an Accu Chek Mobile meter. This uses a drum of 6 lancets in the finger pricker, and a cassette of 50 test strips (both available on prescription). The great advantage of this is that you don't have to fiddle about with individual test strips or lancets, and the drum of lancets will normally last a day. The finger pricker is attached (but detachable if necessary) to the meter and you can operate the whole thing with one hand - I can test on the bus, in a queue - virtually anywhere very discreetly. And it works with Accu Chek Smart Pix software (which you have to buy - mine cost about £15 3 years ago) to download results to your computer which can then produce various charts & graphs.
I have just recently moved over to a Medtronic Veo Pump. Medtronic produce a Contour meter which can send results to the Pump wirelessly, but the meter uses individual test strips and lancets, which is a nuisance. Sadly the Accu Chek Mobile cannot communicate wirelessly with the Medtronic Pump (different manufacturers!) but I still use it and manually post the readings to the Pump.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
David Watson said:
Hi, I've used all sorts of meters over 50+ years of Type 1 Diabetes, but the best one for me is an Accu Chek Mobile meter. This uses a drum of 6 lancets in the finger pricker, and a cassette of 50 test strips (both available on prescription).

This was my first meter. I agree that it's very cool, but in the likely event that you can't get the "strips" on prescription, the strips are prohibitively expensive (about 45p a test as opposed to about 20p for my current meter).

SueR

I use Accu Check Mobile and love it. I have used other meters in the past and so far this is the best.

It's easy and quick to use and compact enough to carry around. My diabetic nurse contacted my GP and I have no problems getting test strips.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got the OneTouch Ultrasmart that I've had for 7 years. It works fine with PC and Software. I don't know whether the test strips are expensive or not but the last 50 I bought on the web were just under £20 with no VAT payable.