Which monitor?

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m seeing my doctor today (a few hours) and I’m going to ask for monitor. I’m in the uk. Type 1 LADA.

Which is best?
Which should I ask for?

Not sure which are available in the UK.

I’ve seen Libre and Dex mentioned a lot. Best?

And I’m assuming he will prescribe one. I really can’t tolerate the finger pricking 4+ times a day.

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I’m seeing my doctor today (a few hours) and I’m going to ask for monitor. I’m in the uk.

Which is best?
Which should I ask for?

Not sure which are available in the UK.

I’ve seen Libre and Dex mentioned a lot. Best?

And I’m assuming he will prescribe one. I really can’t tolerate the finger pricking 4+ times a day.

If you are a T2 then you are unlikely to get a monitor from the NHS.

Even for T1's the availability of monitors is a bit hit and miss from 1 region to another. Some GP's apply CCG guidelines rigidly which may mean that you have to show evidence of testing 8 times a day etc.

Libre is not really a monitor as you have to scan a sensor on your arm with a smartphone or reader. You can get extra bits to turn it into a CGM if you're tech savvy but you'll likely have to self fund the add on parts.

G6 is a monitor but difficult to get on the the NHS I'd imagine. I can't even get a Libre from my doc even if I could use it without allergy problems.

Chat with your medical team and see what they suggest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 85percent

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are a T2 then you are unlikely to get a monitor from the NHS.

Even for T1's the availability of monitors is a bit hit and miss from 1 region to another. Some GP's apply CCG guidelines rigidly which may mean that you have to show evidence of testing 8 times a day etc.

Libre is not really a monitor as you have to scan a sensor on your arm with a smartphone or reader. You can get extra bits to turn it into a CGM if you're tech savvy.

G6 is a monitor but difficult to get on the the NHS I'd imagine. I can't even get a Libre from my doc even if I could use it without allergy problems.

Chat with your medical team and see what they suggest.

I’m type 1 LADA. Libre not a monitor? So what are the differences? I don’t mind scanning my phone over a sensor - no problem.

Which should I ask for if I had a choice? I appreciate he might not prescribe anything.

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I’m type 1 LADA. Libre not a monitor? So what are the differences?

Which should I ask for if I had a choice? I appreciate he might not prescribe anything.

Libre is described as a Flash Glucose Monitor. (FGM). In it's basic condition it requires a manual activity to get a reading. Your sensor is glued to your arm and you have to put your reader or smartphone next to it to get a reading. The sensor will record and store glucose readings every few minutes and then the whole data set gets uploaded to the 'monitor' when you take a reading. (In my mind it's a bit of a stretch to call it a monitor but that's just me!).

G6 is a Constant Glucose Monitor (CGM) and the sensor is continually uploading data to a reader using bluetooth technology.

I cannot tell you which is best as I've never used the Dexcom G6.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Which should I ask for?

I know in my CCG you do not get a choice - you get what you're given, and it may change when they decide they want to prescribe different (cheaper in other words) test strips.
I only got a different test meter when I did a carb counting course and they gave me a letter specifically telling them to prescribe the strips for the meter they'd given me in the course.

As for the libre whilst I think most CCGs are now prescribing them with strict criteria (one of which is finger pricking at least 8 times a day every day) its possible some are not prescribing at all, and to get the dexcom (or any other sensor) you'd need a very very good reason and agreement from your consultant.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My SDN told me that she check sensors for the number of scans per day. Not only that, she checks that carbs and food along with insulin is recorded. If not then the prescription is stopped.

I am T2 and get the libre to use alongside insulin to control the steroids. Gradually being weaned off the steroids. I will have to stay on 10mg for a while, but if I can manage to stop the insulin then I will tell the surgery to stop the repeats.

Libre does have limitations. It is notoriously inaccurate under 4. I am always hypo on waking but a fingerprick will tell me I am in the 4s. Too dangerous not to check, so the pricking doesn't stop.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
My CCG doesn't give out Continuous Glucose Monitors so I self fund the Dexcom G6, it's £159 a month, but money well spent, each CCG has a different policy and some will require you to do a min of 8 BG tests a day to qualify, so see what they have to say ?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP gives out the basic monitors with test strips that the CCG has prescribed on their formulary. If you are seeing your diabetes nurse at a hospital, you might have a selection that they have and they will write to your GP to prescribe the test strips for it.
For libre and Dexcom, there are two different criterias for it. Depending on your CCG, they may or may not prescribe it. But that’s up to your consultant which you’ll have to see at the hospital and GPs can’t prescribe it.

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP gives out the basic monitors with test strips that the CCG has prescribed on their formulary. If you are seeing your diabetes nurse at a hospital, you might have a selection that they have and they will write to your GP to prescribe the test strips for it.
For libre and Dexcom, there are two different criterias for it. Depending on your CCG, they may or may not prescribe it. But that’s up to your consultant which you’ll have to see at the hospital and GPs can’t prescribe it.

Yep, my GP said he is unable to prescribe it. I got some more test strips which I needed. I can't afford to self finance. I'll ask the consultant or SDN next appointment.

Thanks @Juicyj + all that replied - good info. The nurse noted on my letter (after last appointment) that I'm finger pricking 8+ times a day so thats something to lean on when I ask. I'll continue finger pricking 8 times a day (I hate it) until my next appointment or phone the SDN in a 1-2 weeks and see what they says.

Reactions: Juicyj

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Record your readings on the mysugr app. Not only is it helpful to track your progress, it is also evidence you can pull out during an appointment.

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Record your readings on the mysugr app. Not only is it helpful to track your progress, it is also evidence you can pull out during an appointment.

Thanks for the app suggestion - ive downloaded and logging. Ill prob upgrade to paid sub. My HbA1c is estimated at 43 at the moment - even if its only an estimate its a nice bit of info.

The clinic also downloads onto their computer from the monitor.

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Im thinking of subscribing in the mysugr app. Before I do I wanted to ask if there any good similar apps - paid or free - that also provide an output report.

Mike_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve started testing a minimum of 8 times a day. I’ll be seeing my diabetic nurse in April and based on me testing 8 times a day will be transferred onto Libre. The reason for testing 8 times per day is that the cost of test strips for this frequency costs more than using Libre. I’ll have at least 720 tests results for her when I go but if it gets me onto scanning my bg’s instead I’ll be happy.

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve started testing a minimum of 8 times a day. I’ll be seeing my diabetic nurse in April and based on me testing 8 times a day will be transferred onto Libre. The reason for testing 8 times per day is that the cost of test strips for this frequency costs more than using Libre. I’ll have at least 720 tests results for her when I go but if it gets me onto scanning my bg’s instead I’ll be happy.

Makes sense. Im currently doing the same as it was mentioned as a possible criteria, but didn't think of the cost aspect - they kinda have to give you libre to save money...

What if they say measure less often? I was told only need to check 4 times a day - wake up, before lunch, before dinner and before bed. But as i'm interested in what my body is doing and how each food or activity affects my BG im checking alot.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Makes sense. Im currently doing the same as it was mentioned as a possible criteria, but didn't think of the cost aspect - they kinda have to give you libre to save money...

What if they say measure less often? I was told only need to check 4 times a day - wake up, before lunch, before dinner and before bed. But as i'm interested in what my body is doing and how each food or activity affects my BG im checking alot.

Hi there, you might be better off saying why you are checking 8 times a day specifically, rather than 'I'm interested in what's going on', they may interpret that as 'your problem'. For example, 3/4 times for food, before and after exercise, before and during driving, however many times if you are feeling low/off, etc. That easily meets the 8 times a day criteria. This recommended 4 times a day is complete rubbish for many people, unless you are sitting on your sofa all day or don't move or work. They cannot say check less often when you are on insulin as that would be dangerous and severely limit your normal lifestyle. x

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, you might be better off saying why you are checking 8 times a day specifically, rather than 'I'm interested in what's going on', they may interpret that as 'your problem'. For example, 3/4 times for food, before and after exercise, before and during driving, however many times if you are feeling low/off, etc. That easily meets the 8 times a day criteria. This recommended 4 times a day is complete rubbish for many people, unless you are sitting on your sofa all day or don't move or work. They cannot say check less often when you are on insulin as that would be dangerous and severely limit your normal lifestyle. x

Thanks. I will do as you suggested.

Reactions: KK123

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I self fund the Dexcom G6, it's £159 a month
Wow, that's an awesome rate! Where I'm from those things run € 313 a month while the Libre2 can be had at € 120 a month, so it's less than half the price of the Dexcom. Might have to try getting them from the UK, it's quite a rip-off here.

@85percent I hope you'll get that prescription eventually. Amazing how that differs from country to country. We get Libre as T2s here but not the much more expensive Dexcom unless we have a very hard to control BG, which has to be proven, documented, filed, all that jazz (constant hospital stays for severe hypos, DKA, etc.)

Remember that the Libre is a bit off a divining rod as it comes out of the box but you can turn it into a full rtCGM with a little bit of tinkering. I'm getting great results with it now after being close to throw the sensors into the bin.

Reactions: Juicyj

AngelinaJ

Hello
I’m currently using the Medtronic CGM which works with the Medtronic 640g insulin pump.
I’m type 1.
I have also used the Abbott freestyle which is a different system.
Both have upsides and downsides.
The freestyle sensor is inserted in your arm and is scanned manually by an app in your phone. It lasts for 2 weeks and I was impressed!
The Medtronic CGM is more complicated and lasts for 6/7 days.
There is currently no app that works with it so you have to look at your pump for info. It has a bunch of alarms (that drive you nuts!!) and you do need to calibrate the system so finger pricking 3/4 times a day is still necessary.
If your diabetes is fairly stable then I’d go for the freestyle. It will give you the essentials and you can see the effect of food, exercise, stress, illness etc
Good luck!