Which oil should use.

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being alone and having little or no money to enjoy the hobbies I like to do.
OK. Please could someone advise me on which oil I should use.

I have been using "Vegetable oil" or Olive oil.

Terry.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Steer clear of vegetable oils, I use extra virgin olive oil for dressings etc, avocado oil or nut oils like walnut are good, sesame seed oil, coconut oil is good for frying especially in curries and Asian dishes, for frying you can use lard or ghee - I use a mix of butter with a little dash of olive oil when frying the oil stops the butter burning

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use rapeseed oil after heart by pass
Why? I too have had that and I see no reason why I should use rapeseed oil. Rape seed oil is essentially toxic, and undergoes major chemical treatment to remove and cancel the toxins which are the natural phytochemicals the rape plant uses to protect itself from being eaten. there are something like 7 stages of mixing in chemicals and filtering involved, compared to say a cold pressed virgin oil that has no processing except a pressing.

studies have shown that vegetable oils currrently on sale in the average supermarket raise the CRP levels, indicating an increase in inflammatory stress in the vascular system. they have been demonstrated to be harmful to humans. Probably ok for robots or other mechanical systems needing lubrication. I remember the initial use for rapeseed oil was sewing machine oil.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I use coconut oil, avocado oil and butter

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mainly olive oil (or butter) for cooking, but also avocado, coconut, hazelnut, sesame seed, walnut oils for dressing salads, etc.

AFAIK it's generally rapeseed and sunflower oils that we get warned against.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

Terry.
Hi @5Terry The good oils are Olive oil, Sesame oil, Avocado Oil Flaxseed oil and Coconut oil. For heating foods at high temperatures you are better sticking with Ghee which can be heated more than the others without turning to transfats. x

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Terry.
Lard, butter, ghee, bacon fat: walnut oil; extra virgin olive oil - watch out for cheap olive oils - they're usually boiled out of pulp and stones and are nothing like the real thing plus the extraction process can affect some of the components..

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can make your own ghee, it’s just clarified butter, I sometimes make it in my slow cooker, few slabs of unsalted butter on low overnight in the slow cooker, turn off and let cool and set, don’t move it till it’s set as you will disturb the sediment that settled at the bottom, cold and set remover from slow cooker and slice off the bottom sediment, you can either remelt and put in jars or just cut up and store wrapped in grease proof paper in the fridge.

You can do the same in a pan but you have to keep a closer eye on it and don’t let it boil

• Useful
Reactions: Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lard is sometimes marketed as Beef Dripping. Beware of American 'look alikes'such as Crisco or Trex as these are more like margerine and Shortening is another name for marge,

Also beware of butter if it is marketed as spreadable or to be used straight from the fridge as these products are blended with vegetable oils. Ditto butters marked as Light, some continental butters are also blended wih seed oils

GinnyIckle

Type of diabetes
LADA
We use extra virgin olive oil for salads and low-temperature cooking.
Avocado oil.
Rice bran oil is wonderful for high temperature cooking, or cooking in general. Very neutral in flavour. Good for the heart.
Coconut oil is great for cooking, but perhaps not for people with cholesterol issues. It comes in
Nut oils are lovely but dear, and best bought in small bottles as they don't keep well, but good for you if not allergic.

"Vegetable oil" is usually not the best nor most healthful. Corn oil isn't good for us.
Rape seed oil is generally better, but has an unhelpful omega 3 to 6 ratio.

Reactions: coby

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I use olive oil to fry in and vegetable oil for deep frying.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Mainly olive oil (or butter) for cooking, but also avocado, coconut, hazelnut, sesame seed, walnut oils for dressing salads, etc.

AFAIK it's generally rapeseed and sunflower oils that we get warned against.
I cannot eat sunflower seeds anymore as they spike me, so I can only imagine what sunflower oils did to my levels before :bored:

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use olive oil to fry in and vegetable oil for deep frying.
Stay off the vegetable/seed oils (if you mean rapeseed, sunflower, corn oil etc) it’s extremely toxic and has been shown to be the major cause of heart attacks. There is also research being carried out with its strong link to causing macular degeneration. Obviously olive, avocado and coconut oils are much better choices. Lard and tallow are good choices too

Reactions: Helen H

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our bodies actually like saturated fats. SFA is more energy dense and compact, and is what the body likes to store away for rainy days. We actually synthesise ingested fats so as to make them more saturated, and this takes energy to do, so the body prefers satfat since it can snip cut and paste to form whatever fat we need and then it is this cut+shut fat that goes into the lipids. so our fat is not the lard we just ate, but a personalised satfat or two made from it. even low fat eaters will have satfats in their blood, simply because our proteins need the more complex fats.

we make our cholesterol and we fill it with what we need simply because ingested foods are alien to our inner workings, and would get attacked by our immune system if not properly stamped with our own personal postcodes. But seed oils, if in abundance, does get into the lipids, and this is why seed oils sre inflammatory - they are not house trained since that takes time and energy to do, so they trigger a reaction wherever they go.

Having said all that, we need both Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats and it is better if they are matched . Modern processed foods are mainly omega-6 based, and this imbalance needs to be evened up a bit.

The advice seems to be for every 4 grams of Omega-6 you should eat 1 gram of Omega-3 (4:1 ratio) but ratios to 1:1 are reasonable

The modern diet is estimated to be between 50:1 and 100:1 mainly Omega-6

Reactions: filly