Which one is the best?

Gabs1x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never used a pump before but have now been offered to go on either a Omnipod Dash, a Meditronic 780g or a Tandem T-Slim. I currently use libre 2 sensors so what would people recommed? Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Tandem T Slim with the Dexcom G6 - closed loop pumping - without a shadow of a doubt, I was on Medtronic prior but didn't have the Guardian sensor, however heard of lots of issues from users with the sensor and accuracy, the Dexcom is the best CGM in my opinion for both accuracy and limited fails.

Others will have their opinions of course but as someone who has been using the t slim over 2 years now I am chuffed to bits with it, only downside is the cannula sets as some prefer the pods for a wireless experience, but it's just a minor niggle really. I also use the tru steel sets as I don't get fails using steep tips, had loads of fails with teflon sets and blockages or the set would work loose.

Reactions: Gabs1x

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is no best pump. There is only the best pump for you.
I would recommend making a list of what s important for you. For example
- do you want a tubey or a patch pump?
- will you have the option of a CGM (either self funded or NHS provided) and, if so, do you want Closed loop either today or in the next 4 years?
- do you want a separate controller (e.g. a PDM or a phone app) or are you happy to get your pump out to bolus?
- do you have issues with eyesight so need a clear screen?
- is size or ability to hide the pump important to you?
- what is your total daily dose (bolus + basal)? Most pumps have capacity for 200units and need changing every 3 days. if your needs are greater than this, there are some umps with a capacity of 300units.
This is only a start - you may have more requirements.
Once you have thought through these requirements, you can rate the three options against this criteria.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Never used a pump before but have now been offered to go on either a Omnipod Dash, a Meditronic 780g or a Tandem T-Slim. I currently use libre 2 sensors so what would people recommed? Thanks
I much prefer the Omnipod because it is much easier and faster to change (every 3 days) and of course has no tubing. I changed to this 2 years ago and use it with the Libre 2.

Reactions: Gabs1x

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tandem T Slim with the Dexcom G6 - closed loop pumping - without a shadow of a doubt, I was on Medtronic prior but didn't have the Guardian sensor, however heard of lots of issues from users with the sensor and accuracy, the Dexcom is the best CGM in my opinion for both accuracy and limited fails.

Others will have their opinions of course but as someone who has been using the t slim over 2 years now I am chuffed to bits with it, only downside is the cannula sets as some prefer the pods for a wireless experience, but it's just a minor niggle really. I also use the tru steel sets as I don't get fails using steep tips, had loads of fails with teflon sets and blockages or the set would work loose.
Fully agree on the t:slim.

Reactions: Juicyj and Gabs1x

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m due to replace my Medtronic M670G/Guardian 3 in October and I’ve been told I can choose from any pump/cgm I wish (within reason).
Medtronic have served me well, but it does look as though t:slim/dexcom offer more for me in terms of design and functionality. Potentially resulting in even better control.

Reactions: Juicyj and Gabs1x

BK 100

I have decided to stay with Medtronic and am awaiting the 780G which I will recieve in the next few weeks. Looking at theTslim it looks nice but refilling the cartridges looks over complicated and very fiddly also the reports of problems with the infusion sets look very of putting (Medtronic now have the 7 day infusion sets as well). The other big negative with the Tslim is the rechargeable battery which has to be charged every 6 days will the battery deteriorate in a year or so and you have eo recharge even more frequently? with Medtronic an AA battery lasts over a month and takes seconds to change. Also the tslim is micro USB which is becoming obsolete being replaced by USB C having to have more than one charging lead is a pain also what happens if you forget to chage it. There are far too many negative issues with the Tslim for me.

Gabs1x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no best pump. There is only the best pump for you.
I would recommend making a list of what s important for you. For example
- do you want a tubey or a patch pump?
- will you have the option of a CGM (either self funded or NHS provided) and, if so, do you want Closed loop either today or in the next 4 years?
- do you want a separate controller (e.g. a PDM or a phone app) or are you happy to get your pump out to bolus?
- do you have issues with eyesight so need a clear screen?
- is size or ability to hide the pump important to you?
- what is your total daily dose (bolus + basal)? Most pumps have capacity for 200units and need changing every 3 days. if your needs are greater than this, there are some umps with a capacity of 300units.
This is only a start - you may have more requirements.
Once you have thought through these requirements, you can rate the three options against this criteria.
Thank you so much for this, I was told to make lists of pros and cons for each pump but had no idea where to start! Can I just quickly ask though, what is a closed loop pump? what does that actually mean? So sorry for being stupid. Also which one out of the 3 connects to a phone app? Id prefer smaller so easier to hide. Been type 1 for 18 years and still hate getting my diabetic stuff out in public. Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Looking at theTslim it looks nice but refilling the cartridges looks over complicated and very fiddly also the reports of problems with the infusion sets look very of putting (Medtronic now have the 7 day infusion sets as well). The other big negative with the Tslim is the rechargeable battery which has to be charged every 6 days will the battery deteriorate in a year or so and you have eo recharge even more frequently?

I've now had my t slim for 2 years and 4 months with no deterioration of the battery, I also carry a portable battery so can recharge anywhere and only takes around 20 mins to recharge fully, I often just disconnect for a bath to do this. Yes the refilling can be a tad tiresome but when I weigh it up against the pros which for me is to have a flat stable line during sleep and the best quality sleep I have had in years since being diagnosed then this is a minor niggle, the fact it does adjustments for me means a tighter range and better control.

Reactions: Finnlee

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Can I just quickly ask though, what is a closed loop pump?

This is where the pump is using data from the CGM to make minor adjustments based on predicted outcomes, you can set you own range below which insulin is suspended and above which where minor insulin adjustments so the pump is more automated, you still have to bolus for carbs and hypos sadly are still unavoidable, but it helps greatly with sleep quality and managing issues like dawn phenomenon which can be a pain.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought the tslim's target was set at a fixed 6.1 when Control IQ was on @Juicyj (apart from exercise and sleep mode). Would love to find you can set a lower target range as this was one of the reasons I hesitated with choosing this pump.

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Interested in your post about steel tips....
I also use tslim and dexcom 6 and switched from teflon to steel a couple years ago. But recently been finding my sets need switching out more frequently i.e. after a day or two rather than 3 days cos going up to 20 and change the set and finally goes down..so assuming it was the cannula having a problem

so was going to ask have u ever had a problem with steel ones? And what I might be doing wrong? I was wondering if my tummy areas are getting to "used"

Appreciate any insight you have as I mentioned it.to.my consultant yesterday on my video appointment and she dismissed me totally saying did you ring the pump company?!