Who are you voting for in the general election 2017?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, and it's because of labour's ridiculous policies that we need austerity at all. Spending what we haven't got always feels good at the time, not so good when we have to pay it back plus interest.
You don't understand spending. Borrowing to spend down the pub leads to disaster; borrowing for capital investment at historically low interest rates improves the functioning and productivity of the economy. Do you have a mortgage? It is a balance sheet. On one side is the debt; on the other is the asset the debt buys.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, Jean Charles De Menezes @Ian_Laye, made me realise that this is not an easy decision.

My support goes to the people who are trying to protect us in these difficult times.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ian_Laye. I should really read these posts before replying. If you are talking about rises in the personal tax allowance, you are still wrong
I seem to have more disposable income than before and the only difference to my income has been the change in the personal allowance. I earn less than £25k and am not in receipt of any benefits or tax credits.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to have more disposable income than before and the only difference to my income has been the change in the personal allowance. I earn less than £25k and am not in receipt of any benefits or tax credits.
I may be wrong, but you would need to know to what extent inflation has eroded the cash income increases. I'm not sure that tax allowances were always correctly indexed linked.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think they've learnt their lesson. They won't fall into that trap again.
I'm not pro labour but my family is better off not under tory rule. End of.
Maybe that will change but all the while I'm ill due to tory policies, it won't. :(
The essential difference is between borrowing for day to day spending and borrowing for investment.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I certainly wouldn't vote for Labour with their present terrorist loving leader, I also wouldn't vote for the Liberals because Fallon does not accept the result of the referendum. This is going to be the first time I will vote Tory because they seem to be the only party capable of getting us the best possible brexit deal.
Good luck with that

Reactions: Deespee23

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First time blue voter for me too for many reasons including the one's you have stated.
You'd be surprised how many terrorists end up having tea with the Queen. You may remember the secret talks between the Conservative Government and Republicans when Willie Whitelaw was Home Secretary; and talks by Major's Government which laid the ground for the Good Friday Agreement under Blair.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with that
I always used to say I would never vote Tory but I can't see a credible alternative, but I admit it will be painful putting my cross in the conservative box.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where do you get the ridiculous idea that the NHS is going to be privatized???????
It was policy under Mrs Thatcher but she could not get it past the "Wets" in the Government. I believe Nigel Lawson has recently confirmed this.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I abhor the use of "dementia tax" - these so called spin doctors need removing. It's just as bad in Scotland with the other parties going on constantly about the Conservative "rape clause". Of course being honest about it doesn't suit the spin doctors.
So fact, there is no "dementia tax" - there was a proposal to make changes to paying for social care costs by increasing how much could be kept for inheritance to £100,000 and treating care home/home care the same by bringing the value of the privately owned home into the equation. Her error was not putting an absolute cap on the amount that would go to social care costs but at least they guaranteed the property would not have to be sold during their lifetime. Here if you go into care it does have to be sold if assets including the house are over £25k ish.
The daft thing is the Labour proposals in their manifesto and costings would cost any pensioner concerned about the Conservative social care proposal a darn sight more but it is not being pointed out to you with a fancy tag - but it is there. First is the Land Value Tax to replace council tax but is a lot higher so that's an annual cost. Next is they are reversing the increases to the Inheritance Tax thresholds (along with other reversals). So if your property was of a value to be worried by the Conservative plans then Labour's will take you for even more both during and after your lifetime. The 'triple lock' was only relevant when inflation is very low. They are retaining the double lock of the higher of earnings or prices. Dropping the 2.5% from 2020 is an irrelevance with rising inflation.
There's no "rape clause" either. This resulted from the decision to limit child tax credits to 2 children. You do not have to be working to get child tax credits. This was announced in 2015 but it was only coming into effect from 6 April 2017 so plenty of notice. The logic behind this was there had to be an absolute limit on the number of children the state would support. No one was limiting the number of children a family could have but the decision had to be on whether you could afford to support the children yourself. In consultation , it came out that there were situations where the number of children could exceed 2 through no fault of the parents so they brought in an "exceptional circumstances clause" of which there are many....multiple births, adoption, non parental care and non consensual conception (hence the spin). So what's the facts here ? Any children born before 6 April 2017 there's no limit on the number of children that the CTC can be claimed for. From 6 April 2017 you can only claim for a child born after that date if the child comes under one of the many "exceptional circumstances" then they can claim CTC. So the crys to remove this clause would result in no exceptions and a straightforward limit of 2 children? It is also a lie that the mother has to disclose in depth details. She has to complete her name, NI Number, Address , child"s name and sign a declaration. The other bit is a declaration by some kind of professional to confirm the right to claim.
In case you are wondering I am not a member of any party and I am not an activist. I just had a very analytical job that required taking apart Government legislation and looking for the flaws then explaining it in understandable terms to anyone it was relevant to. I have voted for different parties depending on the circumstances and I voted to remain but I respect the result to leave the EU.
Thankfully we still live in a democracy and we can vote for whoever we like but I wish everyone was voting based on fact not spin. Never a truer phrase that the devil is in the detail.
Lecture over and it's nothing personal - I just hate the media and politicians misleading the electorate.
Did you answer the OP's question?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't understand spending. Borrowing to spend down the pub leads to disaster; borrowing for capital investment at historically low interest rates improves the functioning and productivity of the economy. Do you have a mortgage? It is a balance sheet. On one side is the debt; on the other is the asset the debt buys.
Exactly why I said I was out of this thread!!!! There you go, judging me, without knowing anything about me. I assure you I do understand double entry book-keeping and debits and credits lol. I have an HNC in Business Studies (with distinction) and passed my professional qualification (Institute of Bankers exams in 1981). I assure you I do know what capital investment is!! No I don't have a mortgage any more. I saved hard and paid it off early, not spending on foreign holidays and other luxuries until I had done so, why pay interest when you don't need to do so? That only makes the asset more expensive.

Edit: thinking about this it seems that austerity worked for me personally. :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think they've learnt their lesson. They won't fall into that trap again.
I'm not pro labour but my family is better off not under tory rule. End of.
Maybe that will change but all the while I'm ill due to tory policies, it won't. :(
Ickihun I fear they have not learned their lesson and never will. By their own admission not everything in the manifesto is allowed for and we keep getting additions to the spend. It would be a shame especially since the annual deficit has reduced from £153.5bn in 2010 to £43.1bn in 2017. Until such time as the deficit (difference between what we earn and spend) is eliminated nothing can be done about reducing the debt. We've been here a few times in my lifetime and the cycle keeps repeating. We cannot tax, spend and borrow our way out of a mess. Their manifesto costings are about as realistic as the SNP's which looks at £118bn extra spending against a budget in 2017 of £37bn?
Wouldn't it be nice if politicians could work together using their skills and consulting with experts for the good of the UK rather than bitterness continually damaging the country. Regrettably it will never happen though.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After what happened in London last night the shoot to kill policy saved a lot of lives. 3 murdering terrorists shot dead within a few minutes of the police arriving. Mr. Corbyn would still be trying to negotiate with them.

Police actions were absolutely right.

Mrs May's speech this morning after her urgent meeting was spot on.

But, "Enough is Enough" is just another meaningless phrase.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly why I said I was out of this thread!!!! There you go, judging me, without knowing anything about me. I assure you I do understand double entry book-keeping and debits and credits lol. I have an HNC in Business Studies (with distinction) and passed my professional qualification (Institute of Bankers exams in 1981). I assure you I do know what capital investment is!! No I don't have a mortgage any more. I saved hard and paid it off early, not spending on foreign holidays and other luxuries until I had done so, why pay interest when you don't need to do so? That only makes the asset more expensive.

Edit: thinking about this it seems that austerity worked for me personally. :)
Yes. It does for individuals. But not for the Economy as a whole. It's the paradox of thrift. And please accept my apologies for appearing to criticise you personally.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ickihun I fear they have not learned their lesson and never will. By their own admission not everything in the manifesto is allowed for and we keep getting additions to the spend. It would be a shame especially since the annual deficit has reduced from £153.5bn in 2010 to £43.1bn in 2017. Until such time as the deficit (difference between what we earn and spend) is eliminated nothing can be done about reducing the debt. We've been here a few times in my lifetime and the cycle keeps repeating. We cannot tax, spend and borrow our way out of a mess. Their manifesto costings are about as realistic as the SNP's which looks at £118bn extra spending against a budget in 2017 of £37bn?
Wouldn't it be nice if politicians could work together using their skills and consulting with experts for the good of the UK rather than bitterness continually damaging the country. Regrettably it will never happen though.
Last time I looked abolishing the current deficit had been postponed indefinitely. At least until 2022. In the meantime the National Debt has increased from over £800bn to £1.7tn.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And while the Conservatives want more cuts to the NHS, education, pensions, welfare benefits, and free lunches for primary school children, they want to cut Corporation Tax for Big Business further.
It wasn't the sick, disabled, unemployed, pensioners and children who caused the 2008 crash. It was Big Business - the Banks.